3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Easy/best method to change oil filter on 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy/best method to change oil filter on 6.7?

That thing looks a little hard to get at. I'm about to do my first oil change a few pointers would be appreciated. Seems like I saw a thread on this but a can't find it now.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM

I just got one of those oil filter sockets. I attached it to a long socket extension and fed it up from under the vehicle, the filter came right out no problem.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The K&N oil filter has a nut on the bottom, which makes it easy to remove with a socket wrench.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Well yes you can get at it with an extention on the socket, but I have normally taken a screw driver and punched a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain the oil out so I don't take a bath in it. This is so far up in there it looks like even doing that I'll get the bath.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

I agree, from the bottom with an oil filter wrench that goes on a long extension. I did the first one from the top and never again!! Messy EGR oil anyway you go. Reminds me of the old 6.2 Chevy diesels AGAIN. 15 minutes runtime and the oil is black and it take three days for it to wear off of your hands. GEE I LOVE MY 12 valve trucks!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fifo
I just got one of those oil filter sockets. I attached it to a long socket extension and fed it up from under the vehicle, the filter came right out no problem.
I bought a wrench from Genos Garage...worked great on a long extension. Somewhere I read about slipping a zip-lock freezer up over the oil filter after cracking it loose with the wrench. This worked fine...contains the oil that's held in the filter...no mess there...just need to get the filter out before it or the oil melts through the bag.

Where I didn't fare quite as well was when I pulled the plug from the oil pan. I bought a catch pan that has a lid which the oil drains through into its reservoir. When the 3/4" stream of oil hit that lid it blasted/splattered out in a 10' circle in my garage. I was in the middle of that blast area... I would recommend going to something like a Fumoto drain plug.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I loosen it with a filter wrench and then cut a 2 liter pop container at the top and slip it over the filter and squeeze it and turn by hand, better than the zip lock bag.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Now that one sounds like a great idea, thanks I'll try that.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:26 AM

I use a filter socket from auto zone and it works fine .The onr thing that i have had a problem with is keeping the oil in the pan on the floore.It drains out of the engine very fast and splashes in the pan and then all over the floor.The next time I plan to cut the top off of a five gallon bucket and use that.Any one that has ever cleaned this oil off the floor will agree that it's nasty.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 AM

go to a feed or farm supply store and get a 20 qt, flat backed stall bucket. it is just short enough to slide under truck from the side. i have used twice and no mess from the pan. will try some of the above suggestions for the filter.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 PM

I use a 5 gallon bucket to drain the oil into. Then I take the bucket to the recycling center at which I just dump it from the 5 gallon bucket. It's awesome; No mess, no problem. (I do have 35" tires on though)
I am still looking for a filter socket that will fit the Mopar filters. I did buy a plastic socket that fits, but the filter is a lot harder to get off then it is to get on so the plastic socket just skips across the filter when trying to remove. Anyone know of an exact part number and brand of a METAL oil filter socket for the Mopar filters?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got one of these, but for some reason they only appear available in the UK today. I got one in the US years ago.
https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.u...?recordID=2930

This is a similar concept:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+filter+wrench

Neither can be used to put the filter back on...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 AM

If you use a closed top drain pan that has a hole that drains to the inside so you can seal it up.... Get a scotch bright pad and put it in the area that the oil will hit... It will keep it from deflecting all over the place.

I prefer an open top pan and I still do the Scotch pad in the bottom.

On the filter I just reach up and loosen it until you know it will start draining down and move out of the way... Count to 5 and then be a paper towel and reach back up there and take it off.... I also use latex gloves >>> Put 2 on you right hand so that after you removed the filter you can pull the top glove off and you are clean and ready to go... Install the new filter (don't over tighten) and your done!

OG
Old 04-23-2008, 06:25 PM

I found a socket that will work for our 6.7l oil filters. I found it at Carquest, Carquest part number STL54780. The socket is specified as a 93-15. Which means that the socket is 93mm in diameter and has 15 points. The beauty about it is that the socket is made of steel instead of cheap plastic. So getting the filter off after months of use is very easy.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Not sure if the 6.7 is the same as the 5.9, but you can take the filter off with no spill. Open the oil drain on the pan then go do something else for 30 minutes. During this time, the oil will drain out of the filter mount and when you remove the filter, you will get no spillage, provided you don't tip the filter.

Quick Reply: Easy/best method to change oil filter on 6.7?