Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Grid Heater Not Working (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/grid-heater-not-working-147199/)

Riddler69 04-19-2007 06:13 AM

Grid Heater Not Working

Temp this morning was 56 deg. Normally below 66, I will get wait to start light while grid heater cycles. Not today.

Grid heater is not coming on. You can hear a click, but no amp draw, so it is not cycling on. Maybe it's just not cold enough, but it has always come on before if overhead read 66 degrees or below??

What should I check or should I just make an appointment?
Man I hate taking it in if I don't have to. [verymad]

donhov 04-19-2007 06:56 AM

Have read many other posts concerning this issue. Consesus seems to be the logic for the heaters system is considerably different from the earlier trucks and the heaters don't appear to run untill it gets much colder, and if it is a restart after being running prior that they never come on. My 04.5 comes on no matter what the temp, even if only for a few seconds and the same for restarts, it always comes on.

DynoDynamicsNE 04-19-2007 07:13 AM

Mine seems to do the same sometimes. The manual says that it will come on under 66, but I've noticed that if it's in the mid 50s, it doesn't always come on. I don't worry about it because it starts just fine.

jrs_dodge_diesel 04-19-2007 09:15 AM

I know with the 2nd gen Rams the grids do not come on until 59° or below.

Riddler69 04-19-2007 11:05 AM

Temp

The truck had sit all night, but the manual does say that it won't come on unless the manifold temp is below 66, not necessarily what the overhead says.
Just concerned because it has always come on before when the truck was cold and the temp was below 66.
Truck started and ran fine.

Also, just had the oil changed the other day and then this started. Don't know if the knuckleheads at the shop accidentally pulled a wire or something. I'm not getting any codes.

MartyC 04-19-2007 11:44 AM

I noticed mine didn't activate either the last two mornings with the temps in the 50s. It did work last weekend when it hit the 40s so I am assuming nothing is wrong. Starts fine as far as I can tell

DynoDynamicsNE 04-19-2007 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Riddler69 (Post 1468601)

Also, just had the oil changed the other day and then this started. Don't know if the knuckleheads at the shop accidentally pulled a wire or something. I'm not getting any codes.

Unfortunately, the weather is probably not going to cooperate to let you test it, but I doubt that they pulled a wire. If you're really concerned, you might be able to see something pulled out by crawling underneath or looking under the hood.