3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

going to order one

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to order one

Well guys im gonna order one instead of just buying one off of the lots. I havent had any luck in finding a 1ton SRW in the configuration that im looking for.

Im gonna order an inferno red SRW QC short bed 4x4. Im gonna get the big horn edition optioned out. I figure if im gonna buy a $40+ thousand dollar truck i might as well get it with the exact options that i want. I havent seen any trucks on the lots that have side curtain air bags or the cab lights (yes i know thats an easy fix).

For those of you who have ordered a truck, how long did it take to get to the dlr? I was told by my DLR that you dont get the incentives that are offered when the truck is ordered, you get what ever incentives are offered when you take delivery. That kinda sucks IMO.

Also, how good of deal can you really get whenever you order a truck instead of just buying one off of the lot. I know that most ppl dont ever pay over invoice and then in addition get the incentives, but thats when buying off of the lot.

Also do you guys think that if i hold off a couple of months that the incentives will be better or worse? i guess its kinda like playing russian rulet if you decide to order one, as far as rebates and such are concerned.

Im open to any tips as this is my first brand new truck purchase/order.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like you're going to order one very similar to mine.

IMO you will always get a better deal buying from the dealers inventory as they get incentives to get vehicles off of their lot, plus they are paying interest on the cost of those unsold vehicles.

Of course, you don't want to end up buying a truck and paying for a bunch of options you don't need or don't want. When I bought my previous truck, the dealer and I negotiated a very good deal (2K cheaper than ordering a truck) on an in-stock unit. Was just what I wanted, except it had a sunroof. To me, those are totally useless and I refuse to pay $600 or whatever for it. So, the dealer also reduced the cost another $600 so the sunroof was free. In my experience you will only get super deals like that when you're dealing for units on the lot. Also, the dealer should be able to perform a search and try to find exactly what you're looking for, even if they have to bring it in from another dealer.

Just a guess, but Dodge is offering incentives now because they're trying to clear the excess inventory from dealer's lots. I doubt they will offer any rebates or incentives on 08's, unless the economy takes a further nosedive and really cuts trcuk sales down.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM

if thats the case and they wont have any rebates for a quite a while then maybe i better just see if they can find me one... Also when they order a truck for a customer do they not get the "hold Backs" ?

The truck i want is a big horned optioned out minus the dvd system/navigation, and no sun roof as well. Other then that its pretty much a laramie, minus the leather, and obviously no dual climate control.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM

I ordered my 07.5 on 5/23 and received the truck 8/1. Check with out of state dealers, I ordered mine from Dishman Dodge in Spokane and saved a ton of cash. My rebates were locked in when the paperwork was signed, not when I took delivery. Out of state dealers will also set up courtesy deliveries with your local Dodge dealer, I think I paid ~$300 to pick up the truck at my local dealer. I gave my local dealer a chance for my business but too many things went wrong and I ended up going out of state.

Dan
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 PM

The truck i want is a big horned optioned out minus the dvd system/navigation, and no sun roof as well. Other then that its pretty much a laramie, minus the leather, and obviously no dual climate control.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly how mine is setup, only difference is I wanted the leather seats & heaters so I had them dealer installed. Actually turned out nicer than the stock factory seats since you get to pick your own primary colors, insert colors and stitching.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RiddlerLS1

For those of you who have ordered a truck, how long did it take to get to the dlr? I was told by my DLR that you dont get the incentives that are offered when the truck is ordered, you get what ever incentives are offered when you take delivery. That kinda sucks IMO.

Also, how good of deal can you really get whenever you order a truck instead of just buying one off of the lot. I know that most ppl dont ever pay over invoice and then in addition get the incentives, but thats when buying off of the lot.

Also do you guys think that if i hold off a couple of months that the incentives will be better or worse? i guess its kinda like playing russian rulet if you decide to order one, as far as rebates and such are concerned.

Im open to any tips as this is my first brand new truck purchase/order.

Thanks
Your dealer is ignorant. You can have your choice of rebates. Which ever is better, the one at the time of order or the one at time of delivery. Bonus cash is not protected however. Personally, I would sell a truck for the same price if it was on my lot or if I had to order it, it wouldn't make me any difference. The 08' incentives are all ready quite good. In my zone we all ready have $2,000 consumer cash on 08's. I have never seen that much this early.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
IMO you will always get a better deal buying from the dealers inventory as they get incentives to get vehicles off of their lot

We get a bonus at the end of the month if we move "X" amount of units. Doesn't matter whether they are in stock, ordered, or transfered in from another dealer.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=RiddlerLS1;1634873]Also when they order a truck for a customer do they not get the "hold Backs" ?
QUOTE]

Yes, we get a 3% holdback on every vehicle that is originally invoice to us. What I mean is if we have to go get one from another dealer we don't get it, the ordering dealer gets it. Holdback is a very misunderstood deal. Our holdback helps to offset the high cost of our floorplan interest which is currently at 9.25%. Some vehicles you move quick and you make money on the holdback, some stay a year and a half and you burn up the hold back four and a half times over. If you sat down and averaged it out over a years time you'd find that the interest burns up every dollar of holdback off of every vehicle we sell.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Luke thanks for all the info. What dealership to you work at and where? If i remember correctly you are a manager or something to that affect?

also i was out at a dlrship today looking at trucks and noticed something on two Big Horn Edition 2500s QC SWB 4x4. One had power sliding rear window one did not.

One the paper taped to the window under the Big horn value pack listing all the included with the package. On one of the trucks it just had sliding rear window, on the other it had Power sliding rear window....

The one with power sliding rear window did not have the option power sliding rear window added to the accessories it was included in the bighorn package (no additional cost) , and the other truck it was not included in the bighorn value pack obviously.

So does the bighorn value pack now come with a power sliding rear window or did it used to include this and no longer does?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by RiddlerLS1
Luke thanks for all the info. What dealership to you work at and where? If i remember correctly you are a manager or something to that affect?

also i was out at a dlrship today looking at trucks and noticed something on two Big Horn Edition 2500s QC SWB 4x4. One had power sliding rear window one did not.

One the paper taped to the window under the Big horn value pack listing all the included with the package. On one of the trucks it just had sliding rear window, on the other it had Power sliding rear window....

The one with power sliding rear window did not have the option power sliding rear window added to the accessories it was included in the bighorn package (no additional cost) , and the other truck it was not included in the bighorn value pack obviously.

So does the bighorn value pack now come with a power sliding rear window or did it used to include this and no longer does?

Well, I'm really not allowed to come right out and say what dealership I am affiliated with on the public forums, as I am not an advertiser here, but anyhow, my father and I own two dealerships, I'll leave it at that.

They have done some confusing things with the packages this year. Last year, the 07's, the Big Horn package was an option you had to add to the G package SLT, it came standard with a manual rear sliding window. You could upgrade that to a power slider for a small additional charge. The other one you saw was probably an 08'. And for 08' all quad cab G packages will be badged as bighorns and a power rear slider is included.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Hey Luke. a quick question. is it the monthly bonus that makes dealers much more willing to "deal" on the last day of the month than any other time? it could just be me but if its 7:30 pm on the 31st they will chop off an arm and include there grandma in the deal just to get you to take it home that night.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by metalaram
Hey Luke. a quick question. is it the monthly bonus that makes dealers much more willing to "deal" on the last day of the month than any other time? it could just be me but if its 7:30 pm on the 31st they will chop off an arm and include there grandma in the deal just to get you to take it home that night.
Yes. In our business margin's are so tight that in most cases hiting our VPA(volume performance allowance) makes the difference between turning a profit or going in the red. However, if a dealer doesn't make his number for the month, he can still get paid if he hits his number for the quarter. It is really complex.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 PM

Well guys i ended up finding one that was very close to what i was wanting... lots of searching internet and ebay. First thing is it is a 2500 and not a 3500SRW like i was wanting. When i made the decision i had to sit down and realize that at this point i dont NEED a 1 ton it just would have been nice. The only 2 other things that it didnt have was the clearance lamps (will add) and side curtain air bags.

I am getting it from Button dodge in Indiana and i am getting what i consider to being a very good deal. The only downside is that i will HAVE to have it shipped by a 3rd party company in order to avoid having to pay Indiana sales tax and arkansas sales tax so that means i will have to wait a week or two before i get it. I will be finishing the paperwork at the bank tomorrow and hopefully i will get it before the end of the month.

I cant wait to get it here. I sent the sales guy an email telling him to make sure to have the latest update done to the computer (it was built 5-07) and to have the high idle enabled so we will see if they can follow those instructions.

very anctious
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Luke:

That's why you pack in 2500-5000 per vehicle... It's not good for the sales staff becasue they don't get paid on the pack money, but it's good for the dealers. If holdback is covering your interest...you are going good.

I just picked up an 07.5 xlt mega 6.7 4x4 with a good number of options for 38k. Out the door with taxes/dmv for <40k because the dealer filled the truck I did the papers on with gas (and drove 4 miles) and they only had 2 diesels on the lot and it was the end of the month. I feel like I got a good deal on this one.