3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Factory exhaust brake question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Factory exhaust brake question...

Hi folks...It's been a good while since I dropped in...I just acquired another Dodge 3500, this time with a factory exhaust brake...I searched the manual and this forum but did not see this question answered...Is there any harm in leaving the exhaust brake actuated in day-to-day around town driving?...I've never had one before and just like the additional braking power when coasting in traffic...Anything that saves brake linings is good, right?...Thanks......Ben
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know much about the brake used on the 6.7, which is a whole different ball game from my '06 5.9, but I leave mine on virtually all the time. The computer manages it just fine without my interference and I've read that coking can occur if it isn't used frequently. Since there are a lot more 6.7s on the 4 gen section, hopefully someone there can offer you more hands on experience advice.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Danavilla
Since there are a lot more 6.7s on the 4 gen section, hopefully someone there can offer you more hands on experience advice.
Thanks for the response...I thought about posting in the 4th Gen forum, but since mine is a 2009, I figured this would be the more appropriate place...I don't really expect much to go wrong from just leaving it on, but I do welcome all opinions...I'm just a cheap SOB who doesn't want to spend an extra nickel on brake parts until it's absolutely necessary......Ben
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes, you want to use your exhaust brake all the time...not just towing. Reason is, carbon will build up in the working mechanism and then over time things can start sticking. NOT something you want to experience when coming down a big grade with a heavy trailer behind you. Its advised that you use your exhaust brake at least one time every time you drive somewhere.
That said, I use my exhaust brake all the time, unloaded or not. This greatly reduces wear and tear on the service brakes too. I just replaced my OEM front pads with 120k miles or so on them and there was still ample pad material left on them.

The only time I dont use the exhaust brake is when the truck is idling because the back pressure can send wet carbon into the intake manifold. Its not a huge deal but enough that the IAT and MAP sensor are covered in goo if you do this enough. Thats why the newer gen exhaust brakes auto disable at idle speeds unless you manually activate them for idle warmup's.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Yes, you want to use your exhaust brake all the time...not just towing. Reason is, carbon will build up in the working mechanism and then over time things can start sticking.
Thank you...Sounds like good advice...For my type of driving, I'll just set it and forget it......Ben
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM

I've been driving almost two weeks with it on 100% of the time in mostly town use...No issues or malfunctions to report...It will definitely save on brake linings......Ben
Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only time I dont use the exhaust brake is when the truck is idling...
What is your start up procedure?

How long do you idle in the driveway before moving? Do you turn your exhaust brake on right away or once moving? Do you turn the exhaust brake off while sitting at stop lights?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Focker

How long do you idle in the driveway before moving? Do you turn your exhaust brake on right away or once moving? Do you turn the exhaust brake off while sitting at stop lights?
It should be noted here that regardless of Katoom's procedure, his PacBrake is a completely different animal from the factory supplied built-in exhaust brake on later trucks like mine...Mine can only be engaged at speeds over 32 mph when the TC is locked......Ben
Old 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Ben, we almost have the same truck except for model. Can you answer those same questions?
Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 PM

Ben, we almost have the same truck except for model. Can you answer those same questions?
Sure...I leave the EB engaged at all times with the little button on the dash...When starting I let it idle long enough to turn my XM radio on and fasten my seat belt...A couple of days ago I had frost on the windshield and let it idle with the defroster on full blast long enough to clear it...I don't tow anything, and rarely carry a heavy load; I use it to save on brake linings...

Like Danavilla said, I see no point in turning it off at all......Ben
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

As Fordzilla pointed out, my EB is not the same unit, but functions with the same principle concept. Mine used the vacuum system operating a vacuum diaphragm which closes a venturi just past the impeller. The 2nd gen had the EB option, even though mine is a Pacbrake.

Yours works by variable geometry vanes sitting just outside the impeller diameter. Those vanes open and close like small plane wings which changes the velocity of the impeller housing for reduced lag. If the vanes close all the way then its the same as closing the venturi on my EB setup.

The bummer part about my year truck is I dont have as much electronic control over EB function as yours does. Mine operates by the ECM and throttle but thats it. Yours can be turned on and it will auto shut off at set speeds and you can turn it on partially for warm ups. Pretty nice... But I'm not dissing on mine though since I love it.

As for all the optimal procedural functions, those are questions for your 3rd gen peeps.
The following users liked this post:
Focker (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Had a duh moment and opened my manual.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Had a duh moment and opened my manual.
Thanks for that, Focker...I hadn't thought about its use in icy conditions (not that it's a big worry in SE Texas), but I'll bear it in mind when it rains......Ben
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Thats why the newer gen exhaust brakes auto disable at idle speeds unless you manually activate them for idle warmup's.
Today while idling in a parking lot, i heard the distinctive sound the brake makes, and didn't recognize it at first...Apparently the ECM had activated it at idle because the ambient temperature was low...I verified it by using the dash switch to disengage and engage it...Pretty neat feature to help warm up a cold engine......Ben