Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Does the dodge have superheated exhaust? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/does-dodge-have-superheated-exhaust-133558/)

C&C Milo 01-23-2007 11:00 AM

Does the dodge have superheated exhaust?

I noticed on the new Ford[redface] 6.4 they have a diffuser on the exhaust tip which cools the exhaust so you don't start fires when the DPF does a burn cycle.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=0#Post3180035

How does Dodge handle this?

qzilla 01-23-2007 04:56 PM

Those stupid exhaust tips are simply a way for Ford to claim that they are an integral part of the emissions system. Doing this allows FORD to try and deny warranty for putting an exhaust tip on them. From the literature I have seen it looks like they could try to void your warranty if you do not wash them and mud is in them when you take it in for warranty.

I think it is 100% silly.

John_P 01-23-2007 06:44 PM

C & C Milo:

In reference to your post and the link, I also heard that if a new owner of one of those 07'-08' Ford 6.4 PSD's even puts a chrome tip over that "diffuser" you mention, that it will void the warranty!

--------
John_P

C&C Milo 01-23-2007 07:41 PM

Wow! This warranty voiding stuff is getting out of hand. I find it hard to believe that the money they loose to the guys who bomb their trucks are the cause. The big 3 sell millions of trucks and I would guess that only a tiny percentage are chipped or ? by the owners. The manufactures are probably playing the old game of take it as far as you can until someone (class action?) forces you to be fair and reasonable.

Back on topic.
Is anyone putting an EGT gauge on your truck so we can get some data on this burn process?

eb290 01-24-2007 07:37 AM

I don't believe an exhaust temp guage will show any change when the "burn' is going on. The probe is in the exhaust manifold and the burn is going on in the converter and particulate filter, 5 or 6 feet down the exhaust pipe. Might be wrong, but that is my thought on it.

Duallydog 01-24-2007 10:14 AM

There's plenty of sensors around the converter and PF, someone just has to figure a way to tap into one of the sensors to figure out what temp things are down there.

John_P 01-24-2007 11:19 AM

In recent press releases by Ford, they are saying that on their DPF that will be used on the 07'-08' Ford 6.4 PSD that the temperatures in that DPF can get to 1100 degrees!:o Guys, if that's true, thats pretty darn hot!

In my newest issue of "Diesel Power" (February 2007) they did a pretty good article on the new 6.4 Ford PSD. On page #72 of that issue, bottom right corner, they have a picture of that "diffuser" or dual tipped pipe that "C&C Milo" mentions and here is what they said below the picture:

"When the engine goes into its DPF regeneration mode, fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke to heat the exhaust to 1,100 degrees. To manage that heat as it exits the vehicle, Ford engineers have added this heat dissipating dual tip to 6.4L equipped diesel trucks."

--------
John_P

qzilla 01-25-2007 01:29 PM

Ok, just had a.......well friend just get out of some 6.4L training. The outlook on the exhaust tip and even the enitre DPF sytem as well as the exhaust sytem is taken much lighter in training then what I have been hearing and what they are teaching the techs.

What was relayed in this class is that removal of the exhaust tip does not void the warranty but, it may cause the vehicle to not pass emissions testing?

I was also informed that they plan on seeing a LOT of aftermarket exhausts and this will not void the warranty as far as they are concerned other than the vehicle will not likely pass the emissions test. The only thing this could affect is the warranty on the emissions systems since it will no longer be on the truck.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Quad

John_P 01-25-2007 07:12 PM

qzilla:

Thanks for the update.

--------
John_P

98.5POS 01-25-2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by eb290 (Post 1316905)
I don't believe an exhaust temp guage will show any change when the "burn' is going on. The probe is in the exhaust manifold and the burn is going on in the converter and particulate filter, 5 or 6 feet down the exhaust pipe. Might be wrong, but that is my thought on it.

There is a "throttle body" type setup in the intake of the 6.7 - just like the Duramax, it's main purpose is to shut off the airflow to the engine in order to raise the EGT's to burn out the particulate filter, I believe the fuel system is also tied into this burn process. So, putting an EGT probe in the exhaust manifold will read different when the burn is happening. My owners manual says that the overhead consloe will tell you when your filter needs to be burned out, and you should alter your driving so it can. My 6.7 only has a particulate filter and muffler.