Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Clutch/Tranny Noise (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/clutch-tranny-noise-298243/)

JonM 12-10-2011 05:17 PM

Clutch/Tranny Noise

I'm a newbie so please be gentle...

I have an '08 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4WD with 6.7L Cummins and 6-speed manual. It is not the H.O. to the best of my knowledge... Engine and drivetrain components are ALL STOCK. I bought the truck in 07/2011 with 120K miles on it. When in neutral and clutch is not pressed, there is a notable whine at any given engine speed. The whine is present in every gear except 5th. It seems to be a little quieter in 4WD. As it has gotten colder, when I push in the clutch, I hear a high pitched "ringing noise" like a tuning fork... It doesn't do this all the time, but it seems to be happening more and more. I read the owner's manual and it mentions greasing the clutch linkage... Dunno where to do this since it is done with hydraulics and a slave cylinder...

Am I about to have to change a clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing or is there a place to hook up a grease gun?

Thanks for your help!

coloblacksmoke 12-10-2011 11:34 PM

I have an 08 with a 6spd (61,000mi.) and have a different problem, maybe we can both be helped. When parked and in neutral and I release my clutch it kind of makes a clunking sound???

JonM 12-13-2011 09:05 PM

Coloblacksmoke, looks like no one will respond to our posts so I will try to help with some info I learned.
Is it the Mercedes 6-speed?

stickk 12-13-2011 10:24 PM

I had an '06 with the same trans. I replaced the stock clutch, flywheel, pp at 117k. I'm pretty sure there isn't a grease zert in that assembly. If indeed you are having a clutch issue it could be a few things. Throwout bearing, dual mass flywheel going bad, clutch plate.

Did the previous owner replace the clutch?

I had a vibration at idle and above 2000 rpm. I decided to replace the clutch and associated parts myself, with help, instead of spending time and money having a tranny shop try to diagnose. So I got new clutch assembly with a solid flywheel. Problem fixed.

Luk has a kit with clutch, flywheel, pp etc for around $700. If you can do it yourself you can save $500-$800 in labor. You'll need a day(I did!), some help and a good tranny jack.

JonM 12-14-2011 06:08 PM

Thanks, Stickk. I don't know if the previous owner replaced the clutch or not; it doesn't chatter when you let out on it, and the clutch starts grabbing about halfway thru the pedal travel. What's interesting is that in recent days (warmer temps above 50 degrees F.) there has been no "tuning fork" noise when you push in the clutch except for 1st thing in the morning. Looks like a new clutch assembly is in my future!