3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cautionary Tale on Oil Change Required Message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sabersix
I have the opposite problem. Mine is making oil! Seriously, mine has always read overfull on the dipstick. I did an oil analysis at 3500 miles which indicated excess fuel in oil. The dealer said not a problem. I'll take a new sample at the next 3500 mile interval and if I get the same result I'll rub it in their face. I think the extra injector pulses for regeneration are getting into the crankcase.

On the subject, my opinion (backed by oil analysis) is that you are throwing money away and unnecessarily polluting the environment by changing your oil at 3000 miles. Follow the manufactures recommended interval (at least). Just my two cents. YMMV
If fuel is getting into the oil to the extent that it is overfilled and shows up in an oil analysis, then that doesn't seem like not a problem. Let us know if this remains an issue at your next interval. Don't know much about diesels, but are you using synthetic? Maybe piston rings not seated/broken in? I would think you would also have other issues such as CEL's and such possibly. However, if the rings were an issue then I would think you would be burning oil (more oil...) than fuel getting into the oil.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI.....The 03 and 04 common rail trucks do not turn the oil black immediately.

The 04.5 on up thru the new 08s will turn the oil black as coal immediately. It has something to do with the multiple injection events. It is normal. Don't be concerned about the "black" oil. You cannot gauge the quality or lack thereof by looking at the oil. It is just the soot suspended in the oil like it is supposed to be.

To much oil, however, is a major problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
If fuel is getting into the oil to the extent that it is overfilled and shows up in an oil analysis, then that doesn't seem like not a problem. Let us know if this remains an issue at your next interval. Don't know much about diesels, but are you using synthetic? Maybe piston rings not seated/broken in? I would think you would also have other issues such as CEL's and such possibly. However, if the rings were an issue then I would think you would be burning oil (more oil...) than fuel getting into the oil.
Yeah, I'll sample again at next interval. The first sample was on the factory oil. The dealer did the first oil change, so it has Mopar oil in it now which I'm guessing is not synthetic.

I had one CEL (P2262) which led to a new turbo. The truck has the latest PCM (version AU) and has never had any DPF issues. The tailpipe is clean as a whistle.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, that is what I had thought after asking the synthetic oil question... So far, mine exhaust is clean as a whistle (only 650 miles on it though) too. I checked the oil level today. It was pitch black (as expected) and read a bit over the "full" mark... Maybe a pain, but why not drain an appropriate (estimated) amount that it is over full and get the level back down to normal. You can add it back in as needed, send out for analysis, or just see if the level goes back up a significant amount (via the proposed fuel in the oil issue). Maybe, take your dipstick down to the dealer and check their oil on a new truck and compare sticks?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Yeah, that is what I had thought after asking the synthetic oil question... So far, mine exhaust is clean as a whistle (only 650 miles on it though) too. I checked the oil level today. It was pitch black (as expected) and read a bit over the "full" mark... Maybe a pain, but why not drain an appropriate (estimated) amount that it is over full and get the level back down to normal. You can add it back in as needed, send out for analysis, or just see if the level goes back up a significant amount (via the proposed fuel in the oil issue). Maybe, take your dipstick down to the dealer and check their oil on a new truck and compare sticks?
All that comes after the next oil analysis at the next change interval. I feel I'm covered since I already complained once and I let the dealer change the oil. Once the analysis confirms or denies the fuel in oil, then I'll pursue the dipstick calibration if needed.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Cool

i have 12k on mine and the oil always looks black......which i would expect from a diesel, it means the oil is doing its job.....as for change intervals, i change mine about every 3000-3500.....i also run my truck for everything its worth. My mechanic told me that they guys that baby theses are the guys that have problems with DPF's and tranny's and anything else....i've had 4 trucks with the cummins and ran them all hard with no problems
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
After reading several threads about the regen and never seeing it occur or even a record of it with the OBD, I and perhaps the tech have assumed that in the 11,000 miles I have on this truck, I have driven it hard enough to purge the pipe. I tow heavy and often...about 55% at least.
I have not yet had a CEL or anything...its kind of odd since all the other folks I know out hauling have had EGR, DPF, turbo and other issues...at least those are the folks I have come across when loading or fueling.
I wonder if I should consider ANY of the TSB's or updates?
Oil does go black as coal within a few hundred miles.

I did run a full tank of LSD one time, nothing happened...truck ran fine.
I wonder if thats normal? LOL

Not that I am complaining...just wondering why I have not encountered similar issues........yet.

Scotty
Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why in the heck would anyone change their oil 5 times earlier than the engineers who built it, the company who warranties, it and the folks who sell it reccomend? If I'm towing some I split the the differance and change at 8-10k. If it's winter and I'm not towing a bunch I go 12-14k. At 12,000 my analysis said I was still good to go for a couple more 1000. So if you guys who change your diesels on a 1970's gasser schedule wouldn't mind, could I have your old oil? I would get another 10,000 out of it in the truck , another season out of it in an old tractor or bobcat and then burn it in the waste oil heater in the barn.
Joe
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM

I'm with you Mule3010. I buy the WalMart brand 15W/40 oil and run it at least 10K. I've done a Blackstone analysis every other change, and they always indicate I could easily go another 5k to 7k without concern.

My next oil change, I am going to add a bypass oil filtration system. With that you can go up to 40K to 50K without replacing the oil.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
After reading several threads about the regen and never seeing it occur or even a record of it with the OBD, I and perhaps the tech have assumed that in the 11,000 miles I have on this truck, I have driven it hard enough to purge the pipe. I tow heavy and often...about 55% at least.
I have not yet had a CEL or anything...its kind of odd since all the other folks I know out hauling have had EGR, DPF, turbo and other issues...at least those are the folks I have come across when loading or fueling.
I wonder if I should consider ANY of the TSB's or updates?
Oil does go black as coal within a few hundred miles.

I did run a full tank of LSD one time, nothing happened...truck ran fine.
I wonder if thats normal? LOL

Not that I am complaining...just wondering why I have not encountered similar issues........yet.

Scotty
I haven't regen'd yet either. No codes yet either. I wonder if somethings wrong. I have 6,000 miles on it.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM

I have never noticed a regen at 15,472 miles. I tow alot and run the crap out of it as well. ??????????????????????????????? Just changed the oil again last night. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and fuel filter every other oil change. Oil is black and comes out of the pan in a hurry. HAHAHAHA What a mess.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Without a pyro - you won't notice the truck going into regen
Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 AM

What Is The Dealer Recomended Change Interval On Theese Trucks. I Work At A Bmw Dealer And The Now Have A Condition Based Service That Calculates When The Oil Is Due Based On Fuel Consumption And Other Driving Conditions. I Have Seen Cars That Come In With 17000 Miles For Their First Oil Change. I Dont Believe In Following Manufactures Recomendations. I Change My Oil Every 5k With Synthetic
Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every 7500 mi. if used in severe service or every 15,000 mi. for regular duty. This is with plain old dino, not synthetic. The 5.9 used in the freightliner is rated for 25,000 between changes with bypass filtration(non-synthetic). It amazes me how many folks use the same oil change schedule on their medium duty diesels that they do on their high reving, 4 cylinder, 4 qt. holding imports. I would rather keep my $ than give it to the Irainians or the big oil companies needlessly.
Joe
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

I don't change the oil. I just send in a sample and if needed change the oil filter. Let's see, I've gone over 1 year with no oil change, but I have changed the oil filter twice. Oh, yeah that about 25k miles in that year also, towing heavy accross the USA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale on Oil Change Required Message