Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   another exhaust brake question (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/another-exhaust-brake-question-261554/)

FrdRdnk 01-12-2010 09:58 PM

another exhaust brake question

Had my truck a little over a month now. Past week or so the exhaust brake has been working differently. When I first got the truck, when the switch was on the EB was on any time I was off the skinny pedal. Now it will come on when slowing down but after a few seconds it's like the vgt opens up and it is barely effective at slowing the truck. Is it affected by intake air temp? Hasn't been above freezing when I drive it for a while here. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is at full operating temp or not. Just curious if this is normal in cold weather or if I've got problems coming. No CELs.

safecracker909 01-12-2010 11:08 PM

My exhaust brake no longer works either. I am in warm weather and I am assuming that it is clogged.

Jim W 01-13-2010 12:38 PM

With the early model trucks such as the 7.5 and 08's this was a common problem. Dodge came out with a different flash and told the tec's how to clean the turbos. The turbos would soot up if the e-brake is not on all the time. Before my mods I would run the e-brake 100 percent of the time. When the engine would start the e-brake was engaged every time and would not be turned off until I shut the engine down. This was the advice that everyone was be told on this forum and others. I would follow this until you mod your truck.
Since my mode I only run the e-brake when towing now.

notrader 01-13-2010 12:57 PM

do you have an auto trans? eb operation is controlled by engine rpm (above 1200), vehicle speed (above 30) and you have to be in 4th gear or above in auto trans

FrdRdnk 01-13-2010 03:30 PM

I run mine all the time also, paid close attention to it to and from work today(about an hour trip) It worked fine until the last 5 miles or so on the way home. It almost seems to me like a sensor is not getting or sending the right signals. When it reduces the braking it's providing it only does it for maybe 5 seconds and then works fine again. Idk, I'm gonna have to play with it some more I guess and see if I can notice a pattern when it does it.

CHOPPER ROB 01-13-2010 06:22 PM

Notrader,, The EB works in 2nd and 3RD gear also in the auto trans and mine works above 1000 rpm. FRDRDNK, Mine acts up every once and a while also. The Eb is controlled thru the computer, so depending on rpm, gear selection, mph, and who knows what else, it might have to much info in a short time to engage..will delay it coming on..imo

MrLuckey 01-15-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by notrader (Post 2676777)
do you have an auto trans? eb operation is controlled by engine rpm (above 1200), vehicle speed (above 30) and you have to be in 4th gear or above in auto trans

I don't know if the year affects this or not but my '09 works well below 30 mph and in every gear. (at least I think every gear, for sure at least down to 2nd - I'm out of town right now or I'd run out and test it). What good would it do trying to go extremely slow (hauling a big arse trailer) down a mountain hill if it didn't work in 1st/2nd/3rd gear or below 30 mph? FYI - Mine's an auto.

Hopefully I'm not just tired but I hope that's the way mine works :)

coolbreeze 01-15-2010 09:09 PM

Try a lower gear and higher RPM for more effect.

Navy7797 01-16-2010 06:54 PM

Eb

Mine kicks out at 30 mph while in drive, never tried lower gears. Am I reading this right that using the EB helps keep the soot out of the turbo ? I've never had a problem with anything yet. 30 K miles.

mega-engr 01-17-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Navy7797 (Post 2679233)
Mine kicks out at 30 mph while in drive, never tried lower gears. Am I reading this right that using the EB helps keep the soot out of the turbo ? I've never had a problem with anything yet. 30 K miles.

I doesn't necessarily keep soot out of the turbo, but it does allow the nozzle in the variable geometry turbo to move it full range of motion and keep it freed up and working. Running the EB and the change in pressures does also help to expell the soot through the rest of the system.

Consider it a bit of health insurance. Heck, I just like running it all the time because it saves the brakes and sounds cool!

gsbrockman 01-17-2010 12:28 PM

You automatic owners are forgetting one thing......the ol' exhaust brake really gits-r-done in TOW/HAUL mode !

mega-engr 01-17-2010 05:52 PM

I wish I could get those both to be the default. I use tow-haul and the EB all the time. Sometimes I get in the truck and drive off and forget to hit the buttons. When I let off to slow down, it usually hits me that I did not turn them on because that sucker just rolls and is heavy. I love those two items.

Navy7797 02-07-2010 07:15 PM

e-brake

Originally Posted by mega-engr (Post 2679458)
I doesn't necessarily keep soot out of the turbo, but it does allow the nozzle in the variable geometry turbo to move it full range of motion and keep it freed up and working. Running the EB and the change in pressures does also help to expell the soot through the rest of the system.

Consider it a bit of health insurance. Heck, I just like running it all the time because it saves the brakes and sounds cool!

Mega-engr: I agree it does sound cool. I don't worry about the brakes so much as mpg and the extra work your tranny is doing. I like to let the truck roll on up to the stop or just ease off the gas pedal & roll on down hill with out reallyslowing down. In heavy highway traffic I do like to use the EB. I did some testing and at 1200 rpm the EB cuts out, tried all the gears. I now have 35k on the truck and haven't had any troubles yet. Next test will be N.Y area next week with the cold.

mega-engr 02-07-2010 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Navy7797 (Post 2697358)
Mega-engr: I agree it does sound cool. I don't worry about the brakes so much as mpg and the extra work your tranny is doing. I like to let the truck roll on up to the stop or just ease off the gas pedal & roll on down hill with out reallyslowing down. In heavy highway traffic I do like to use the EB. I did some testing and at 1200 rpm the EB cuts out, tried all the gears. I now have 35k on the truck and haven't had any troubles yet. Next test will be N.Y area next week with the cold.

Sounds like you drive like an old man?[tapdshut] Just kidding. [laugh]

I don't think there is any issue with mpg or the tranny. If you like to coast then that is cool and makes sense. The tranny is not slipping and locked up so I don't think there is any issue there.

Yes, mine cuts out about 1300 rpm as well in any gear. It is designed to do so.

If you don't have any problems yet, then I wouldn't worry about running the EB all the time. Just need to use it at least once in a while. I only have 6.5K on my truck and most of it is towing so I just like to work it all the time because that is what the truck is for.

Navy7797 02-09-2010 08:19 PM

Eb

Originally Posted by mega-engr (Post 2697573)
Sounds like you drive like an old man?[tapdshut] Just kidding. [laugh]

I don't think there is any issue with mpg or the tranny. If you like to coast then that is cool and makes sense. The tranny is not slipping and locked up so I don't think there is any issue there.

Yes, mine cuts out about 1300 rpm as well in any gear. It is designed to do so.

If you don't have any problems yet, then I wouldn't worry about running the EB all the time. Just need to use it at least once in a while. I only have 6.5K on my truck and most of it is towing so I just like to work it all the time because that is what the truck is for.

I don't really coast, I just let off the gas, any way at 52 I'm old to some but the rear tires on my truck think I'm 18, already more than a third less rubber left then on the front. Wish I could detune it sometimes, but I do love to stomp on it. I really get a kick when the young hotrods tailgate me to the interstate than I just leave'm sucking diesel fumes. I do like this truck, just wish the mpg was a little better.