3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7L High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a youtube video or something of a straight piped 6.7?

I really want to hear how they sound. Basically the same as the 5.9?? Or does the turbo make it sound different?

ben
Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HANDSOME
Broncohound great stuff, I put on 400 km /day hauling about 1000 lbs... what kind of mileage increase did you get in the end.

I haven't really compared apples to apples yet as far as similar conditions, lbs. loaded, etc. However, a recent run i made i ended up with a hand calculated 20.99mpg (see my "6.7L 700 Mile Club" thread) and, before the deletes, I would probably have gotten 16.5-17mpg tops. My single best tank of fuel before the deletes was 17.9mpg that was all highway. I have yet to get a tank of fuel below 18mpg in the 4000+ miles since the deletes, though none of these miles have been pulling the trailer, just bobtail loads carrying anything ranging from nothing in the bed to 3000lbs. in the bed or so (i know, i know, exceeding GVWR, but I didn't have a choice at the time, the job needed to go). Im hoping I will get a longer highway run here one of these days so I can compare a pure highway tank before and after. Once I do, I will report my economy results.

Originally Posted by duratothemax
anyone have a youtube video or something of a straight piped 6.7?

I really want to hear how they sound. Basically the same as the 5.9?? Or does the turbo make it sound different?

ben
There are a few videos on youtube if you search, Ben. Search for things like 6.7L H&S or 6.7L BADP or 6.7L DPF delete. Of course, like all other videos of trucks, bikes, whatever, it sounds nothing like the vehicles in real life. It can give you an idea though. It doesn't really sound like a 5.9L but has a nice healthy growl along with a fair amount of turbo whine. Sounds menacing.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
I haven't really compared apples to apples yet as far as similar conditions, lbs. loaded, etc. However, a recent run i made i ended up with a hand calculated 20.99mpg (see my "6.7L 700 Mile Club" thread) and, before the deletes, I would probably have gotten 16.5-17mpg tops. My single best tank of fuel before the deletes was 17.9mpg that was all highway. I have yet to get a tank of fuel below 18mpg in the 4000+ miles since the deletes, though none of these miles have been pulling the trailer, just bobtail loads carrying anything ranging from nothing in the bed to 3000lbs. in the bed or so (i know, i know, exceeding GVWR, but I didn't have a choice at the time, the job needed to go). Im hoping I will get a longer highway run here one of these days so I can compare a pure highway tank before and after. Once I do, I will report my economy results.

There are a few videos on youtube if you search, Ben. Search for things like 6.7L H&S or 6.7L BADP or 6.7L DPF delete. Of course, like all other videos of trucks, bikes, whatever, it sounds nothing like the vehicles in real life. It can give you an idea though. It doesn't really sound like a 5.9L but has a nice healthy growl along with a fair amount of turbo whine. Sounds menacing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vik29s5mbkw

the last 30 seconds where he comes down the road with the "jake brake" (yes I know its not a jake brake) sounds awesome!!!!

I want to hear one in real life.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vik29s5mbkw

the last 30 seconds where he comes down the road with the "jake brake" (yes I know its not a jake brake) sounds awesome!!!!

I want to hear one in real life.
relatively accurate sound clip. he still had the EGR in place though. The E-Brake is louder (as is the turbo whistle) and the general engine sound is more 5.9-like once it is blocked. there is no mistaking the exhaust note once you hear it though.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My truck would see 15 mpg on average and my big time high mpg was 16.4.
After some 'work' was done to the truck I had an all time best of 22.33 mpg from Calgary to Pendleton OR. I think part of that gain is contributed to the slower speeds in the mountains...I never went over 65 mph on that stretch.
I now average between 19.8 and 20.6 on all my trips. When loaded I am now netting better mpg then my 5.9 07 3500 quad cab 4x4 dually auto.
This truck is a mega cab, stretched to 8ft bed, 3500 4x4 auto. I removed my egr plates after two trips [6600 miles] and its almost cleaned out. I also noticed my oil is staying cleaner...an amber color for awhile. Prior to the 'work' I was seeing instant black oil.
I do not have an EDGE to clear the codes. I just accept the engine light in exchange for the gains...so far no power add-ons have been used.
I found my 'happy speed vs mpg' to be right around 68 mpg empty and 60-63 loaded.
Scotty
Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Finished up the EGR delete today and I am so happy!!! My egt's are about what my 24V used to run now, about 800 tootling around and they actually will drop when you take your foot out of it. My lie-o-meter is reading about 3 MPG better than stock and I am sure it will pick up soon as soon as I get the lead out of my foot! Problem is it is SOOOO!! MUCH FUN to drive now.

The sound is hard to describe, alot like my Brothers 12V with the huge plate and straight exhaust.

DODGEZILLA, you have got to jump off the fence and join the happy with my 6.7 club!!!!!!

Chris
Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
You know, this really got me thinking this evening. The Cat on a 5.9L looks strikingly similar to the DPF and Cat on the 6.7L. What if we grabbed a couple of 5.9L Cat's from a junkyard, hollowed them out, and welded them onto a straight pipe on a 6.7L? Honestly, would any of the guys at the local inspection place figure out that it was a Cat and not a DPF?
I did this exact same thing 2 months ago. It looks legit underneath.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mnmlod
I did this exact same thing 2 months ago. It looks legit underneath.
and you didn't share? Boo on you, mr. man...lol
Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 PM

It was my own paranoia that kept me from sharing. Also, I don't know why but I have not seen one cel or one catalyst full message. I sometimes forget to let the edge clear codes and nothing happens. Why do you think?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM

i think sometimes the pressure change is just enough to trigger the CEL and sometimes it isn't. I think it's right on the threshold. I drove my truck around for an hour after the DPF delete but before the EGR delete and Edge installation and it didn't throw any codes either but sometimes I check the codes my Edge is deleting and I see the DPF code in there. Guess it's just the sad reality of a newer, computer-micromanaged vehicle...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 AM

ChrisM55, I'm about to pull the trigger. I'm gonna find out this weekend if the county where my sister lives (the sticks of Virginia)has any plans for emissions testing. If not then my truck will soon be primarily parked there, and registered accordingly, then I won't have to worry about that anymore.
I'm starting to see the CEL biweekly so what the heck. I might as well have it on all the time.... Now to decide if I want to fabricate something or just buy one of these kits.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:37 AM

So, mnmlod, did you just take a CAT/DPF section and hollow the whole thing out? Or did you find an extra CAT/DPF and just hollow the one section out? If I can do this cheaply then I will do it that way. I have posted a wanted ad for either one of those items or for the whole combo. Someone help me out....
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know the H&S stage 2 kit replaced everything from the turbo to the muffler. New sensors are included in the pipe.

I recommend going this route since the original piping can be installed if emission testing starts up for diesels.

You will also want to do the EGR block off mod and remove the butterfly door in the intake horn at the same time.

MikeyB
Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM

I think you probably want to source 2 used cat's, gut them both, and then buy a 4" downpipe and fooler box from H&S or BADP (their kits don't reuse the EGT sensors anymore so you don't need the sensor bungs for those, just 2 o2 sensor bungs) then take the downpipe and gutted cats to a muffler shop and have them use 4" exhaust piping to build the rest of the exhaust around the downpipe and cats (back to the factory "muffler") to mimick the look of the stock exhaust. the fooler box and the downpipe will cost you a couple hundred dollars and the cats and pipe work will probably cost a couple hundred more. However, it would take a trained eye looking under there (and he would have to physically get under the truck, not just glance at it with a mirror or from stooping next to the truck) to tell it wasn't a stock setup. however, you would have the equivilent of a 4" TBE which, in my case, has REALLY woke this truck up.

And the EGR delete is a must. The EGR is what is causing the p2262. I don't think you are going to keep them from reappearing by just deleting the DPF.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Here is an idea for those who want to be creative...

Build the mocked up "DPF" like a motorcycle tank... Put a tunnel in it so it fits "On to" the pipe instead of welding it in line... That way you can have a clamp on type setup that will give the appearance of stock that can be attached to a H&S/BADP TBE.

Just a thought for those that want to keep the look.

Quick Reply: 6.7L High Performance