Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   5.9 or 6.7 poll biggest ? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/5-9-6-7-poll-biggest-180284/)

Flattman 11-29-2007 11:31 PM

Love my 6.7. May 07 manufacture date and zero problems so far. It's so much stronger than my 05' 6.0 Powerstroke used to be it's not even funny.

I no longer have to fear getting t-boned just trying to pull out on the street. :cool:

KMKDiesel 11-30-2007 12:17 AM

I see that 11 people so far have voted 5.9 but I only see 2 explaining why so I would like to know why the 5.9 not the 6.7. I see mainly too the thing bad is the fuel milage but lovers of the 6.7 have them spanked for now

widebody 11-30-2007 06:09 AM

6.7 rocks. I like it a lot better than my Duramax.

RiddlerLS1 11-30-2007 09:15 AM

the ppl that voted for the 5.9... probably some, but obivously not all, are ppl that have never had a 6.7.

Flattman... out trucks have the same date of manufacture. Was yours built in Missourri as well?

jrsmokestacks 11-30-2007 11:01 AM

With the 04' turned up to be comparable in pulling power to the 07.5', towing mileage is about the same. I like the fact that I can run straight piped with the 04' but the e-brake on the 07.5' is gold when towing. The banks e-brake on my 04' dosent even compare. If I had the money i'd trade the 04' for a 08' megacab. I did have the turbo and entire exhaust replaced by dealership already but thats what a warranty's for. I also never had any re-flashes done until now, truck was built 1/07.......

t-boe 11-30-2007 11:09 AM

I wouldn't buy a 6.7 right now. It's not that I think it's not a good motor, I just like the performance parts availability of the 5.9. If I was to buy a truck soley for work purposes I'd definately get a 6.7. I've been looking at the 4500's as a welding truck platform.

KMKDiesel 11-30-2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by RiddlerLS1 (Post 1816288)
the ppl that voted for the 5.9... probably some, but obivously not all, are ppl that have never had a 6.7.

Flattman... out trucks have the same date of manufacture. Was yours built in Missourri as well?

Thats why I said read my post which says that you, yourself has to have a 6.7 and not your brother,sister,father, etc. And I garuntee that at least half the people the voted for the 5.9 dont even have 6.7s.

Scotty 11-30-2007 01:24 PM

As you know, I have both. I learned something else today...
Yesterday while idling with the ebrake on [maybe 5-6 min]...since its -20C up here, the chime goes off and the engine light goes on. While waiting for my daughter I cycle the key...dummy me...I did not have a pen! [verymad] It showed five codes.
One was like 0078 or something like that and the next one was something like 0138 and then the rest where 2xxx codes. I figured no big deal, I will take a pen and paper out to the truck today, cycle the key and get the codes...no such luck. Engine light on [I know it will go off after a few more starts] and then instead of showing the codes, I get the flatlines and then the word DONe.

Next time I will know better. Nothing seems to have changed in the way the truck runs or starts so who knows what happened. This is the kind of stuff that can make a person a bit un easy about going out on a long trip...especially in the bitter cold. Kind of gives the puckered effect.
Never had one MIL with the 5.9 though.

Not going to concern myself with the mileage issue until I see warmer weather now.

cincydiesel 11-30-2007 01:34 PM

I have 6.7 I baught for work. So far no problems, however I feel like I'm waitiing for a problem / code to appear. I feel safe and sound in my personal 05 5.9 I get in and drive with no worries of a problem accuring.

ccoop769 11-30-2007 04:06 PM

I feel bad for the people who switched back to the 5.9 who complain about CEL and mpg. Newest flashes fixed most stuff. and smarty is coming out and HS is just now getting there heads straight and shipping again next week. Between smarty and HS, i bet I will recieve a 5 mpg increase along with WAY MORE HP. HS alone will give 85 ft tq.

Funny thing is all these peeople who went back to 5.9 are gonna want the 6.7 back now that the aftermarket scene is coming and most problems fixed. LOL to bad they probably took a nice hit on there loans to trade in for an older truck, and if they want the 6.7 again, they gonna have to take another. ALL and ALL, if they were to do that, they probably be 10k under. LOL either way, my truck flies like the wind stock and once my smarty and HS come in, I will be happy as hell. Just my 2 cents for all the peeps who couldnt hold out.

PS I cant wait to be puffin out blak smoke, I hate this clean crap

The big green D 11-30-2007 04:14 PM

Ok,my cousin just bought a 6.7 and I drove it. And yes it does rock. It was pure stock and man would it get up and go...but I don't really enjoy all the electronic stuff. I like to put the wrench to it and then I know its always going to be there. But all in all that 6.7 is a pistol, but I like my 5.9 and would probably stick with it.

bigsnakebud 11-30-2007 06:13 PM

I think the question is mute, the EPA has mandated new diesel pollution rules for ALL diesels so there will never be a new 5.9. I still marvel at someone who worries about mpg out of a 4 ton truck. I tried pulling my 5vr with my 30mph pt cruiser and it collapsed the roof[laugh]. I have 7500 problem free miles and am getting ready to do a 2500 mile Texas trip and every day I drive it I like it better.
Fred

nelrod 11-30-2007 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by KMKDiesel (Post 1816653)
Thats why I said read my post which says that you, yourself has to have a 6.7 and not your brother,sister,father, etc. And I garuntee that at least half the people the voted for the 5.9 dont even have 6.7s.

Guarantee? --- Pure speculation.---- You could be speculating correctly----or not. I did not vote, as per instructions. I am pulling for the 6.7 and all who bought them, because if and whenever I need another truck, more than likely, that is what I myself will get. Just as someone said, when gassers started being bogged down with emission regs, years later they are exponentially better than ones they replaced, in power AND mpg's. So that is why I got an 06 5.9 for now, I will wait for them to work the bugs out and make more and more improvements. I love it, and am more than satisfied with my 5.9, just as most seem to be satisfied with their 6.7.s --- and I am sure I would love the 6.7, I have never driven one. But, in a few years, when I need a new truck---they should be light years better than now----but I guess that is pure speculation[laugh]

westexhunt 11-30-2007 11:47 PM

6.7 is the stuff

I bought this one on Tuesday, and I am like a kid with a new best friend. Have yall' tried turning on the engine brake and manual downshifting, it is amazing? I had one other 3rd gen a while back (03 305hp 3500 6speed), and I hated that truck (mainly because of the 2wd and dually). I traded it back for the 01 in my signature. This 08 is light years ahead of anything I have owned and I think a short step ahead of the new d-max, and huge leap ahead of the 6.4 stroke. I drove them all and traveled with buddies that owned the other two before buying this one. I have never purchased the extended warranty but did on this 08 (1000 $ rebate on warranties so it cost me $924 for a 100k/60mo warranty with a $100 deductible), so I really don't care if there are some problems in the future (engine or otherwise). I will trade for the new body/cab trucks when they come out. I would pay double for this truck, after suffering through the 2nd gens all these years.

Rob Mitch 12-01-2007 08:19 AM

11.2 MPG over the last 6,000 miles as opposed to 17.6in my 2001 5.9