3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st Dodge Wrapper Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
Some of those hubs are bad stuck on.Is the wheel bearing part or included in the hub?
It is a complete, sealed, non-servicable unit. AND yes they can be a bear to get off. But it can be done and they can be re-used. Takes alot of WD40 or whatever and alot of tapping, especially if you've been down alot of salted roads. Dealer techs, I can understand, most likely don't have that kind of time to baby the hubs off. Plus there's no guarantee that WHEN the hub comes off it will be any good. All understood. But that just gets me MORE upset with Dodge putting in the non-servicable u-joints, knowing that the owner is going to have to spend $600.00 to replace a $90.00 part!! If you only do one side.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 AM

I am curious to how many SAVED hubs comeback with bearing noise withen a shorttime.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.... especially after the removal SOP!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I am curious to how many SAVED hubs comeback with bearing noise withen a shorttime.

None that I've run across. The biggest "risk" of doing the front u-joint job is that you run the risk of the front axle seals weeping. That risk has greatly diminished with the american axle as they have a really nice axle seal set up. Either way I note this to the customer before the job and nobody ever wants to go the additional labor to pull the carrier and install new seals.

Any front end guy worth a hoot has known for years to "push" these bearings out even though the FSM says to use a puller. Matter of fact Snap On now has a tool just for this job.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 AM

I have 87k on mine and replaced both front U joints and 1 front shaft u joint! I'm looking into hub conversions!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Cool GmScott.....

You brought up a very valid point concerning time and damage on the part during the removal process. If I am working for the dealer (FLAT RATE), I am going to try to get things done as fast as possible. The labor for that job may only be what it takes to replace the whole part combo. In that case no one is going to try and save your hubs. An independent may take the time and charge you more labor to save the part. Sounds like you have made a good choice in where you take your truck for service. Hang in there, Scott
Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Most dealers and independents work the same way.Sorry I don't buy this flat rate only for the assembly etc.Its how its explained.I use to get cars needing brake work for example and quote the price and then go back and revise if ate up with rust(don't see much here in Georgia) and nothing came apart with out breaking.Extra time is then charged accordingly etc.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cscott67
You brought up a very valid point concerning time and damage on the part during the removal process. If I am working for the dealer (FLAT RATE), I am going to try to get things done as fast as possible. The labor for that job may only be what it takes to replace the whole part combo. In that case no one is going to try and save your hubs. An independent may take the time and charge you more labor to save the part. Sounds like you have made a good choice in where you take your truck for service. Hang in there, Scott
...again I'm speechless.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah, but it IS entertaining!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

I'm loving this thread - Lets complain about putting 80-120k/yr on a truck and parts waring

Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by iker42
I'm loving this thread - Lets complain about putting 80-120k/yr on a truck and parts waring
Mike
I guess I missed the point of my rant. If my truck had greasable u-joints from the beginning I wouldn't have anything to write about in this post. I would've greased the suckers with each lube and they probably would still be good. I have replaced u-joints in other vehicles which have always outlasted the non-greasables. SO, how much does Dodge actually save by going with the non-greasables?? Is it really that much of a difference to affect their bottom line on a so-called Heavy Duty truck?? Then have the customer who uses the truck for what it's advertised for, to have to pay 6 times the amount of the replacement part to fix it?? I didn't really find that much of a price difference between greasable & non-greasable replacement joints. I understand parts WEARING, it's the unecessary repairs that affect MY bottom line.
Glad to have provided some entertainment for ya!!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GMScott
I guess I missed the point of my rant. If my truck had greasable u-joints from the beginning I wouldn't have anything to write about in this post. I would've greased the suckers with each lube and they probably would still be good. I have replaced u-joints in other vehicles which have always outlasted the non-greasables. SO, how much does Dodge actually save by going with the non-greasables?? Is it really that much of a difference to affect their bottom line on a so-called Heavy Duty truck?? Then have the customer who uses the truck for what it's advertised for, to have to pay 6 times the amount of the replacement part to fix it?? I didn't really find that much of a price difference between greasable & non-greasable replacement joints. I understand parts WEARING, it's the unecessary repairs that affect MY bottom line.
Glad to have provided some entertainment for ya!!
Oh, ok, i see what you mean, but there would be customers who wouldnt grease the u-joints at all. Actally more then not, leaving the same ware time and more cost of replacement.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

It's the service techs that I find entertaining.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 PM

There actually AAM joints and in their thinking non greaseables are stronger then ones you can lube.I talked to a AAM engineer last year and asked the very same thing.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding why some of you are justifying bad joints at 120,000, or so, miles. Mine failed because they had not been greased. What else is here to say? If I could have greased them they'd still, probably, be fine. Greaseable U joints are a no brainer unless you are drag racing or something.

As far as the unit bearings go, they would just fall right out if the factory chose to put a bit of neverseize on them. But no, let them rust together and get out the hammer. Of course they should have put hubs on too, like the 1st gens. I like serviceable stuff! And beating something to death with a big hammer is not exactly "servicing" it.

After spending about $3000. on my front end and doing all the work myself, I wish Dodge would have put in about $100. worth of better parts and gave me 200,000 miles before working on it.

John

Quick Reply: 1st Dodge Wrapper Repair