3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

08 6.7 non-delete runs rough below 1500 RPMS and blows lots of white smoke

Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 08 6.7 non-delete runs rough below 1500 RPMS and blows lots of white smoke

PLEASE HELP>>>>
I just bought this 08 6.7 cummins, dealer had paperwork for new injectors. I just replaced fuel filter a little over 1,000 miles ago. have noticed a knock before and lots of black smoke before. now it runs rough at idle and up to 1500+ rpms then runs fine AND blows tons of white smoke especially at low rpms accelerating (non-combusted fuel?). It has 348,800 miles. It appears to have all its stock emissions and exhaust. I have a feeling previous owner deleted it and had a tuner. I don't know for sure though. I live in California to make things worse and can't delete right now, I need more funds. If I manually shift my auto trans keeping it near 2k rpms and more it runs fine. until I slow down or go into overdrive. Has terrible acceleration Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Any codes setting? Need more info, did dealer program new injector codes into PCM? If they did not then could be fueling problem since old codes are in the PCM and not codes for new injectors. Black smoke before changing filter now running rough? sounds like injectors to me knocking is sign of overfueling. Is the oil level over full?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM

ok no codes. No CEL oil level is fine, actually less than full and I have been keeping an eye on it. The black smoke and also would white smoke sometimes before and after filter change.
I have know idea if PCM was reprogrammed. would it have run fine for 4,000 miles? my mpg dived also
Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaconst
ok no codes. No CEL oil level is fine, actually less than full and I have been keeping an eye on it. The black smoke and also would white smoke sometimes before and after filter change.
I have know idea if PCM was reprogrammed. would it have run fine for 4,000 miles? my mpg dived also
ok today a bunch of codes popped up, about 11 codes all exhaust related I think, I'm sure it's time to delete but my finances won't allow that yet
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How long you had this? It ran fine for 4K miles until now? Post all the codes to get help.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM

codes in order
1) P2453 - Diesel Particulate filter pressure sensor A circuit performance

2) P0131 - 02 sensor 1/1 circuit low

3) P244A - diesel particulate filter differential pressure too low

4) P2000 - NOX absorber efficiency below threshold - bank 1

5) P2A01 - 02 sensor 1/2 circuit performance

6) P0128 - thermostat rationality

7) P0420 - ?? efficiency below threshold? - not 100% sure what code is

8) P0489 - EGR control circuit low

9) P0513 - invalid skin key

10) P0471 - exhaust pressure sensor 1 performance

To recap: fuel and air filter changed 1,200 miles ago. injectors replaced by dealer (used) w/paperwork it was done. oil level is fine
blows mostly white smoke excessively at idle and under 1500 rpms. I seen puffs of black smoke on acceleration around 2000 rpms but more white smoke than anything. will cruise down the freeway at 2-2.5k rpms little smoke and roughness. I don't hear turbo but not sure if I should anyhow. it has all the stock and emission stuff. If I were to guess previous owner had removed the emissions and had a tuner/egr delete but I can't be positive. Dealer, who is a very honest guy, said emissions were on when he got it from auction. He replaced the injectors because it was running poor. He said the guys who did injectors also adjusted valves. Also prior to this I had a what I thought was valves ticking sound or what sounds like an old van with an exhaust/vacuum leak. still does shimmy and sound like an exhaust leak now at lower rpms, shakes sputters and is gutless. I can get it in to be diagnosed/fixed but not til wednesday next week. I would rather just fix it myself this weekend if I can. Maybe cleaning the EGR replace some sensors and I could get by until I get stuff to correctly delete and get rid of that egr crap. Thank you
Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM
"California Style"

So how long was it running fine for you? Sounds like no emissions are even hooked up.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
So how long was it running fine for you? Sounds like no emissions are even hooked up.
As long as I have owned it month and a half. Put 4000 miles or more though. I disconnected the EGR this morning no CEL still I also unhooked the battery for 45 mins or so. All the codes I got and no CEL ever. The CEL illuminates when I turn key on so it's not defective bulb. Runs a little better especially near 2000 rpms still smokes like a chimney mostly white smoke but occasionally black. It has also been running cool almost it seems. I put DPF cleaner in it the other day with fill up I've used over half that tank. Thinking maybe try some more cleaner? Just need it to get me through until I get the cash together and time to install tuner and deleting . Being in California limits shops willing to mess with emissions even if I don't want paperwork and pay cash. I don't know if I can clean the DPF and sensors EGR I'll just keep unhooked (I unhooked the connection on the intake side. Tia
Old 05-12-2017, 05:20 PM
"California Style"

In California, doesn't the seller have to pass vehicle smog/emissions? Black smoke is fuel and the white smoke is oil or coolant even. Maybe there are other things going on. But it is not running right, smokes, and had lots of emissions CELs. Not sure what more to try other than taking it back to whomever sold or worked on it or someone else that can work on it and check things. Maybe some others here have suggestions on where to check first.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 PM

well an update. I disconnected the egr. ran pretty much the same all day. Thought I would try and regen the dpf. looked up online what to do and come to realize that there is no NOX absorber catalyst (catalytic converter) or dpf existing on the truck, so dealer sold me a truck that is missing emission controls (federal violation?) It's not like I want them but if it caused a problem I would just rather have it fixed. excessive smoking is terrible, I noticed the smoke isn't pure white but has a grey tint and occasionally black smoke. The rough running is annoying but higher rpms it smooths out but decelerate and it shimmies, sputters and rpms fluctuate around 5-800 rpms.

I was wondering if anyone thinks the crankcase filter could effect this? I am thinking of changing that maybe its causing a vacuum leak? The only other things I can think to do is change the fuel filter again, this time do it myself instead of the oil change place, but I watched them do it. otherwise injectors? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT THAT HAS KNOWLEDGE ON THESE.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM

are codes I get off odometer with key reflect all codes? or does a scanner show more codes? all my codes are related to emissions (which are deleted/disconnected)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
"California Style"

Sounds like you have a stock tune loaded into the ECM and its looking for things that aren't there..
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Sounds like you have a stock tune loaded into the ECM and its looking for things that aren't there..
took it into a local repair shop he said #2 injector is not working. So I'm going to pull valve cover look at it and remove injector if I don't see anything obvious wish me luck. Found out dealer removed or had smog pass on a deleted truck
Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Have dealer buy it back or you will be looking at $$ to repair. I can't believe he sold you a deleted truck. Big fine for him and can lose his license.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM

he doesn't seem too concerned with it. I don't know if he is playing dumb or if he really not concerned? I have talked to him a few times today, but never once did he act like he was worried. maybe I should send him an email. I just want a working truck I don't have time for his crap or working on one, losing money everyday focused on truck and not work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 6.7 non-delete runs rough below 1500 RPMS and blows lots of white smoke