3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

04.0 2500 cummins won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04.0 2500 cummins won't start.

6speed manual, stock except for banks intake elbow. 300k km new drop in motor with 70k km and rebuild trans, south bend dual disk clutch
Bought the truck for dirt cheap from a guy who had no idea how to care for a diesel, he owned it 6 months.
The owner before that had banks 6gun and intake elbow, from what I know that's it for mods. Harness and chip are still on the truck but not hooked up.
Blew the motor and had one dropped in, all is stock.
The young guy I bought it from was using ether to start it, (I know,boom) felt like I was taking a stick away from a kid before he hit the dog again.
I took the truck home and did some research.
Codes are 0148,0193,0251
Again, no start with out ether
W/o doing any major diag , and reading this and many other forms on the issue. I have narrowed it down to fca,hprv, hps, and injectors.

I found on a forum talking about in plugging both the fca and hps, crank, and if it fired and rattled it was fca.
I got nothing.

But when I plugged them back in, boom! She fired up 2 cranks like it should. And idled nice. Took it around the block a bit, home, shut down. Again no start.
Googled the **** out of them and felt it was those 2 parts. (eBay)
Fca came first. Wasn't Bosch, shoulda paid the more money.. but I figured I'd give it a go.
And low and behold it fired! Ran good, fired it up 20-25 times, pulled off and on the battery posts in between on a few and still fired. (All, 2-4 cranks)
Left it over night, fired in the morning, drove it to where I needed to go, drove nice, smooth idle and power. Came out and again no start.
Ether bomb and drove home. (Felt like kissing the dirty girl in school) but it fired up quick.
Got home and that garbage fca had a break at the connection. Pulled it, tried cleaning the old fca with wd40, nothing.

ordered a genuine Bosch fca.
Even though this fca failed-
Leads me now to the hprv or leaking injectors not building pressure, and the old banks tuner ruined the hprv (read into that lots today)

If it was low pressure after the cp3, it should be consistent no? Why would it start and run fine for such a short period of time.?