3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Worried about my oil pan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worried about my oil pan...

I've got a rust bubble on bottom of pan maybe the size of a nickel and sticking out around 1/4"... What would you do in my situation... I'm getting worried it's going to let go someday...
Anyone else experience this???
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of two options:

1. Let it go until it rusts through.

2. Clean the rust spot up and hope that it doesn't go all the way through the pan. If it doesn't, then paint over it to protect the bare metal and check it at each oil change.

JMHO
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Diligence, and rust converter works well.

Sand it down, rust converter it overnight, wipe down in the morning, then prime and paint.

Maintenance....
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I used that on my boat trailer works great don't need to primer it afterwards either. This is sold anywhere they sell spray paints.

Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 215215 Stops Rust Rust Reformer Rust Reformer 10.25-Ounce Spray: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 215215 Stops Rust Rust Reformer Rust Reformer 10.25-Ounce Spray: Home Improvement
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM

It almost seems like it has started from the inside of pan working it's way out... If thats the case I'm in trouble... How do I tell?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM

If it's rusting from the inside out, you're gonna have to drop the pan and either get it repaired or get a new one. Either way, you're gonna have to drain the oil and get under there and get the corrosion area cleaned up and determine what is going on.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Repair the issue in your driveway, rather than on the side of the freeway with your family while on vacation...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
It almost seems like it has started from the inside of pan working it's way out... If thats the case I'm in trouble... How do I tell?
They rust from the outside in. Starts with stone chips in the paint and then the rust starts to form under the paint on the outside of the pan. The blisters then grow and grow.

Originally Posted by trik396
...Anyone else experience this???
Yup.. my 2004 had the same issue except it started to leak slowly thru one of the rust blisters. Was weeping for probably a year before I addressed the issue.

Ended up draining all the oil out, used a putty knife to knock off the blisters.
Found a couple of 1/8" holes thru the pan under the blisters.
Cleaned the pan really well with brake cleaner.
Then hit all the rust spots with a wire wheel to eliminate all the rust and get it down to bare metal. Cleaned it all again with brake cleaner. Then mixed up a couple of batch's of JB Weld and applied it to the bare steel on the rusted spots. Did two coats. When fully dry then applied a couple of coats of industrial primer and then top coated with two coats of industrial grade paint.
Worked excellent. No issues or leaks so far.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by kloppk
They rust from the outside in. Starts with stone chips in the paint and then the rust starts to form under the paint on the outside of the pan. The blisters then grow and grow.

Yup.. my 2004 had the same issue except it started to leak slowly thru one of the rust blisters. Was weeping for probably a year before I addressed the issue.

Ended up draining all the oil out, used a putty knife to knock off the blisters.
Found a couple of 1/8" holes thru the pan under the blisters.
Cleaned the pan really well with brake cleaner.
Then hit all the rust spots with a wire wheel to eliminate all the rust and get it down to bare metal. Cleaned it all again with brake cleaner. Then mixed up a couple of batch's of JB Weld and applied it to the bare steel on the rusted spots. Did two coats. When fully dry then applied a couple of coats of industrial primer and then top coated with two coats of industrial grade paint.
Worked excellent. No issues or leaks so far.
Thanks... I was thinking about doing the exact thing.. I've used JB Weld many times with great success... Next oil change and I'm going to give it a go...
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mine started as a bubble. Luckily,sanded it down to bare metal and used a Rustoleum product. I don't remember my 2nd gen doing this.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM

rusty oil pan

I noticed this on my 04.5 as well. Was debating on trying to remove the rust and treat it with some type of product and repainting it. Or just replacing the oil pan all together. It looks like the oil pan can be removed with the engine in the truck not sure if it is the best option though, any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM

I had the same thing wire wheeled the spots which didn't go through.used rust converter and painted seems fine so far
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mine's doing it again. Gotta get under there again.
I'm five miles from the ocean.
Wonder why the 3rd gen pans are 2.5 x the price of a 2nd gen?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wonder if it's salt related? Sandy Eggo ocean air? Other places, Road Salt?

My 06 looks perfectly fine, I'm 40 miles inland from SF and when I'm in Tahoe I'm pretty sure they use sand instead of salt.

Wonder if a Rhino Liner do-it-yourself kit would be beneficial on the bottom of the pan?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Its definitely from road salt. I live in Connecticut and they use a new chemical liquid on the roads and it rusts everything under your vehicle. I,ve had to do brake lines on all the vehicles I own. I have a jeep grand Cherokee and had the same issue. I replaced the pan and 3 years later it's starting to rust again. I didn't paint it before I put it in. Big mistake, the coating does not hold up. As for the ram I got under the truck with a wire wheel and cleaned up the rust best I could and hit it with some rustoleom. It had started to leak as well so I had to put some jb weld on the pin holes that had rusted threw. Been about 4 months and its still good so I hope it holds.

Quick Reply: Worried about my oil pan...