3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't turn over, batteries checked good, all lights work,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't turn over, batteries checked good, all lights work,,,

I drove my truck to work the other day and all was well. When I jumped in to go home it wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. No codes but all lights and bells work fine. The voltage gauge was reading below 14, maybe @ 12 with the key @ the "on" position. I had my buddy come over and hook up jumper cables but it had to sit for 20mins or more before it would start. Several times while charging I tried to start her but she wouldn't even turn over. It was strange when it finally did start up because it fired right up, real strong, not like a slow spin then gradually getting faster, it started like it normally would.

Drove the truck for 30mins turned it off, immediately tried to restart and once again she didn't even turn over. Called for a jump and after 20mins or longer it fired up just like the 1st time, no slow crank, fired strong.

Now I have her home but she won't start,,, period,,, even with cables. I've checked all the fuses in the box, replaced the starter, and ignition switch (not key lock). Took both batteries to get tested and both where fine,,, still no start. Still won't even turn over and I'm at a loss. I've searched through 20+/- pages on the 911 forum and 3rd gen via search and can't find any possible answers.

Please HELP!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
WCM possibly, try disconnecting batterys or pulling the IOD fuse for a few minutes then try to start. Doing that will reset module. Since you have manual trans I would also check the clutch switch. Located on the clutch pushrod under the dash drivers side. Connector located at that location usually green in color.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 PM

I had both batteries out for an hour or so when I took them to get tested. Also checked all fuses, didn't see anything visibly wrong with any of them, even swapped a few around along with relays...
getting really stressed over this because it's my dd/work truck.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Cummins Guru

Did you try jumping the switch for the clutch peddal under dash. You can install a jumper across switch but be careful since it will start in gear if you do that. Switch grounds the relay that powers the starter solenoid.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 PM

I'll try that in the morning. If that works then what is suspected bad?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Cummins Guru

SWITCH-CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION

Disconnect switch 2-wire connector (2) attached to pedal support bracket (1), under instrument panel to left of clutch pedal .
Check switch continuity with an ohmmeter while operating clutch pedal.
Pedal Depressed - Continuity
Pedal Released - No Continuity
If continuity is not present or always present, replace clutch master cylinder. Switch is not serviced separately.

If switch is bad you have to replace the clutch master cylinder.

You could put jumper wire across switch. The switch is for safety to prevent engine starting in gear. Since engine will be able to crank over without pushing down on clutch pedal.

Here's wiring diag of relay and switch

Try using a test light on starter solenoid wire the small gauge wire on the starter. Have someone try to start with foot on clutch. Light should come on bright liked hooked directly to battery. If it does come on bright then you have bad starter or solenoid.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks! That is exactly what it was! Master cylinder needs replaced
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Cummins Guru

That's great next time give me a PM and I'll try and save you some money by steering you in the right direction if I can. Parts aren't cheap for these trucks so you want to make sure you replace the right part. Too bad you live so far away from me. I have a clutch switch sitting on my tool box.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 PM

Chances are that the clutch switch needs replaced NOT the master cylinder . . I had the same problem, it was just the switch. Several people here have had the switch problem as well.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Cummins Guru

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Chances are that the clutch switch needs replaced NOT the master cylinder . . I had the same problem, it was just the switch. Several people here have had the switch problem as well.

CD
Switch is not serviced separately by Chrysler.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM

When this happened to my truck, I jumped/bypassed the switch so I could start/run my truck. I went to Dodge, bought the switch and installed it. They sell the switch, if that's all you need, why would you change the master cylinder ??

IF the master cylinder is a problem, then why replace it with the same short lived malfunctioning unit ?? If the master cylinder needs replaced, go to the aftermarket and get a better one . . those who sell aftermarket clutches also offer the master cylinder replacements, and they are truly heavy duty units, you know, the stuff that belongs on a heavy duty truck . . not the generic lowest bidder garbage we all paid big bucks to own . .

There are plenty of good diesel shops out there who will get good replacement parts, or buy them yourself and go to a good shop to have them installed. All you will get from Dodge is the lesser product for your dollar, and the price of their shop time/labor is quite a bit higher as well.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Cummins Guru

Originally Posted by CD in NM
When this happened to my truck, I jumped/bypassed the switch so I could start/run my truck. I went to Dodge, bought the switch and installed it. They sell the switch, if that's all you need, why would you change the master cylinder ??

IF the master cylinder is a problem, then why replace it with the same short lived malfunctioning unit ?? If the master cylinder needs replaced, go to the aftermarket and get a better one . . those who sell aftermarket clutches also offer the master cylinder replacements, and they are truly heavy duty units, you know, the stuff that belongs on a heavy duty truck . . not the generic lowest bidder garbage we all paid big bucks to own . .

There are plenty of good diesel shops out there who will get good replacement parts, or buy them yourself and go to a good shop to have them installed. All you will get from Dodge is the lesser product for your dollar, and the price of their shop time/labor is quite a bit higher as well.

CD
Do you still have the part number for the switch because our parts dept does not show it listed separately.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Sure do . . 53007944AB - SWITCH CLUTCH STARTER . . hope that helps. Should be the same for the 2005 (actually 2004-1/2 an up), that fits my 2006 with G56.

CD
Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Please note, the clutch master cylinder is outside in engine bay. The switch is under the dash. remove the master cyl. truck will still start with the clutch pedal deressed. The dealer is lying to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Cummins Guru

Thanks I'll make sure he puts a note in his computer that clutch switch is available.

Quick Reply: Won't turn over, batteries checked good, all lights work,,,