3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?

Old 09-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also love my six speed would be better if it were a 7 speed LOL
Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by az0091
The only time I dislike my 6 speed is when I leave the gym
Me, too. I find myself secretly hoping that my clutching leg doesn't give out from doing squats and I rear-end the person in front of me.

JH
Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DREDnot
I'm really happy with the 6 speed. Its what made me decide to pony up and get this truck. The shifts were a little stiff compared to my Jeep's 6 speed but today I swapped out the factory ATF fill for Amsoil ATF.
MAN what a difference!!!
Shifts much smoother and quicker. Saw a .7 MPG increase in my 2000 RPM flat cruise test stretch!
Ditto the Amsoil ATF that stuff makes these G56 shift like a dream unreal how much smoother. Lots of guys here running it and all say pretty much the same thing. And give your trans a few more weeks of rowing Dred. It'll keep getting smoother and smoother until it kind of peaks out.

If you ever do decide to go with an overdrive Zander don't get tires bigger than 285's. The 285's have you at roughly 3:55 ratio and you don't really want any higher than that or I wouldn't. I can peg my truck out @108mph in 6th Over and still not come even close to redline. 315s would have you so tall it'd be a total waste. OD's are quiet a painful outlay of cash but I would do it again on another truck in a heartbeat. I can cruise at 80 mph in 6th Over on the interstate and it's right at 2000 rpms and that is real nice!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the Amsoil tip, I'll give that a try and see if it helps.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Amsoil ATF

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
Ditto the Amsoil ATF that stuff makes these G56 shift like a dream unreal how much smoother. Lots of guys here running it and all say pretty much the same thing. And give your trans a few more weeks of rowing Dred. It'll keep getting smoother and smoother until it kind of peaks out.

If you ever do decide to go with an overdrive Zander don't get tires bigger than 285's. The 285's have you at roughly 3:55 ratio and you don't really want any higher than that or I wouldn't. I can peg my truck out @108mph in 6th Over and still not come even close to redline. 315s would have you so tall it'd be a total waste. OD's are quiet a painful outlay of cash but I would do it again on another truck in a heartbeat. I can cruise at 80 mph in 6th Over on the interstate and it's right at 2000 rpms and that is real nice!
Ditto on the Amsoil ATF observations. I just did mine this morning and immediately noticed better upshifts. The hand pump from them worked real well too. Only hassle was removing the fill and drain plugs. King Kong must have tightened them. Using Geno's 14mm tool with a set of vise grips clamped on for a cheater pipe,they finally loosened up. I was able to put almost 6.5 qts. in there on level ground.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogerL1961
Don't forget about the gas mileage also.

Plust you can use your cell phone with an Auto......

Something tells me this is your first diesel, as well as you don't use it for what it is designed for
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hatchy
Thanks for the Amsoil tip, I'll give that a try and see if it helps.

Don't expect some night and day difference that some of these guys want you to beleive. I changed mine (mine is the NV5600) expecting this world of difference. Sorry, nothing to notice, other than that thing in your head going....ooooohhhhhhhh, I THINK I notice something And then you realize, nope just a figment of my imagination
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerL1961
Plus you can use your cell phone with an Auto......
I can use my cell just fine when driving with mine in the city, you just have to drive with your elbow, it's not that hard just takes some getting used to.

I will only get a auto diesel if it is for a race truck and it will have a race tranny in it then.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to drive with my big toe once - but that's all I can really say, seeing as how this is a family site and all...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
I can use my cell just fine when driving with mine in the city, you just have to drive with your elbow, it's not that hard just takes some getting used to.

]

Well, at least I know I don't have to worry about YOU killing me since you live about 1500 miles away., even though here in Houston you would fit right in
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Well I did love my 6 speed -- until friday. I am currently stranded in Salt Lake City with what appears to be a broken tranny. I live in Michigan. Right now I am at the mercy of a transmission shop owner with dollar signs in his eyes and a crafty smile. I will know more Monday morning/afternoon.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Its actually my second diesel, Dont worry I find coments like that amusing because my truck gets pretty abused at work and put to its potential on a weekly basis on a 500 acre offroad worksite. All show, all go!! You guys rock!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Chapter President

Well after having 8 Dodge diesels all manuals, I'd say the 6sp in the 05 is just not geared right for overdrive. It is just a little higher than a 4:10 which is pathetic for a truck that has this much tourque. I liked the 3:54 and 3:08 would have been fine with me. My wifes Yukon runs down the highway at a lower rpm.
Is there a 3:08 possibility with these axles?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:52 AM

6 speed

Originally Posted by zander79
Well I love my truck at 17,000 miles with no drama or dealer visits. But I am kind of kicking myself in the rear for not getting an auto w/4.10's. These 6 speeds are just so **** slow of the line it makes me sick. The 37's helped out the steep G56 gearing and the edge EZ helped the power, but this thing is a slow *** plug compared to the 05 F-350 6 speed manual w/the same tires and EZ. I really am regreting my trade as strange as this sounds. What do I do to make this boring plug move.
Get a really good tow strap and and hook up to the back of that Ford and drag him around the countryside. These pickups aren't race cars they are work vehicles. Maybe you need a Ferrari.

L8r,.............dogger
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tree DR
Is there a 3:08 possibility with these axles?

Uh, no. And even with as much TQ as our trucks have, I just do not see 3.08's being able to haul heavy loads. 3.54 would be great, and (and I have to agree with you here) our OD in 6th is pathetic. It leaves me wishing for a 7 speed. It revs high enough @ 70 MPH with 3.73's thinking you need to shift again, I can only imagine what the 6 speed and 4.10's . The easy fix would be a slightly lower (numerically) OD. I think we have what .78? A drop to say .63 or so, would be perfect.

Also, if you have the AAM 11.5, you have 2 choices, 3.73 or 4.10, that's it. There are currently no other choices for our axle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?