3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my NV5600. I also agree that it is a truck made to haul stuff, not win drag races. Unless, you are sled pulling. If you want fast off the line stuff check out the viper not the ram.

Shawn
Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 AM

I love rowing through the gears but after an hour of traffic my legs are tired. Kinda makes me want to go buy a commuter car w/ an auto just for work.
Other than that, the only thing I don't like is that if you pass 3000 rpms before pressing the clutch in the engine over revs between shifts and makes it look like you don't know how to drive! You just have to shift sooner....
Do a little "Work" to it and it won't be slow....
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SMARTY does wonders for the manual.

MikeyB
Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 AM

Ill gladly trade you my auto for a 6spd

I really miss rowing gears, I thought I wouldnt miss it when I got my 3rd gen, but I do. I also miss the fuel mileage, and all around more fun of the stick.
Ive been thinking about trying to trade my truck for a 6spd, but I dont see anyone wanting to trade for an auto...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM

Not me

Consensus seems to be that if you want to go fast, pull, or drag race you'll be happier with a built up auto, if you tow heavy or want to save about $1500 off the sticker, you'll be happier with the G56. If you are not in a hurry, the G56 just works fine and is reliable.

Adding 315s to the 6spd trucks (or an OD unit) makes a world of difference, however. The roughly 10% larger diameter tires puts the rpms closer to the sweet spots for everyday driving. I hear that it would be an even more perfect world with a smarty added, but I love mine they way it is.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 AM

I have a little sports car that been bombed to the max, so when I am in the mood for jammin' around it comes out of the garage, but it is also a stick.

Having said that, I also can blow some pretty good smoke and make some pretty good tracks with my G56. I did add 315's which did get it better into the sweet spot rpm's. I also have the Smarty. It is a GREAT performing transmission for towing and mich better with just the tire changes for in-town use. Any clutch makes for fatigue with in-town driving, so that really just goes with the territory of having a stick. I will never go back to an automatic, never. I think the tranny is just superior as an all-purpose tranny, would not change a thing about it's performance.

ColdCase probably has the right analogy ^^^ but you can get a G56 to perform similarly to an auto if you do your tires and add a little umph with a Smarty or something similar. Invest your sticker savings into these things.

CD
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 PM

remember they are two different beasts. I have the 6 speed manual. For what it is it can't be beat. Pulling loads with the speed is sweet. Don't forget about the gas mileage also.

Its a truck not a car.....I don't race mine and I start out easy and am not worried about beating the next guy off the line....but stick this baby in 4 low and 1st gear and it can almost stand still......

In town autos are easier no doubt! Plust you can use your cell phone with an Auto......

I time the lights...when I see a red light ahead...I let off of the pedal and then enjoy coasting until I see the light go green...most the time I am still at a speed 3rd or 4th will suffice. In slow moving traffic, I stick it in first and crawl......I will keep 3 or 4 car lengths of space in front of me so that when the traffic stops and starts I am just moving all the time.....

I live in the big city but most of my fun driving is on the road, pulling something....

Autos are good also....just different beasts!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now on my second 6 speed CTD. . . I'll never go back. . . did'nt buy it to drag race but I do enjoy seeing if others can hang with me when pulling my toyhauler up a long grade. Can't wait to buy a Smarty.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by honda_guy4
I also am kind of regretting my manual, love it when i am towing and driving down the highway, but absolutely hate it in town. I certainly was not going to buy a 48re based on their previous history though.
Haaaaaaaaa town Bozeman thats funny.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Haaaaaaaaa town Bozeman thats funny.
I got a chuckle out of that as well.

I like my NV but I never have liked auto trannies in trucks. I would like the look of the larger tires/wheels like the Rickson 19's or even just going to larger rubber but keeping the stock rims but it would mess up my final ratio for towing. Right now with the stock 265's and 6th gear I tow at about 73 MPH which is right about 2200 RPM which is perfect for our mountains around here. I'm thinking about bombing my truck a little so it isn't so darn slow.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Thanx for all the responses, good info!
I did not buy this truck for drag racing and that is not what I want it for. My truck is used as a logging/towing truck, so it is offroad alot. Its just that these 6 speeds are frickin plugs even w/my EZ on #3 . It seems that everyone says the smarty is the ticket for the G56, but can you adjust it on the fly or do I have to reprogram it every time I hook up to tow equipment? What about the triple-dog?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM

I got the auto and with the 4.10's it halls Edited by admin with most anything in tow and I love that. But I also like the feel of the truck when the T/C is locked and that doesn't happen till either 27 or 45 mph depending on whether your in T/H or not. I'm the kind of person that goes for gas mileage rather then speed so even though my auto has been great, I still wish I had gotten the 6 spd.

Forum Rules:

In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Last edited by t-boe; 09-06-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Using symbols for profanity is against site rules
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zander79
Thanx for all the responses, good info!
I did not buy this truck for drag racing and that is not what I want it for. My truck is used as a logging/towing truck, so it is offroad alot. Its just that these 6 speeds are frickin plugs even w/my EZ on #3 . It seems that everyone says the smarty is the ticket for the G56, but can you adjust it on the fly or do I have to reprogram it every time I hook up to tow equipment? What about the triple-dog?
SMARTY isn't adjustable on the fly. But I found it's not a problem. Even on level 3 (60hp) the SMARTY would trounce level 4 (70hp) on my EZ.

MikeyB
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Yeah I just put a smarty on mine not too long ago along with bigger tires at the same time, and the combination of both made a big difference in the way it ran. Mileage stock was 18-19 and the smarty made up for the big tires so now its back up to 18-19. The bigger tires geared it up a little so it now the truck uses the engines torque more to get up and moving. It's got ALOT more getty up now. That smarty has a mean low-end, but not much top end. I'm really happy with the way my truck runs now. I think you should definetely give the smarty a try, I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Sounds great,
Looks like I will have to give the smarty a try. Can you safely tow 3000 to 8500 lbs with the smarty on level 3?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?