Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   White smoke at idle (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/white-smoke-idle-162010/)

jennaspappy 07-27-2007 10:41 PM

White smoke at idle

Hello, This is my first time so if I mess it up sorry. I have an 03 dodge 5.9 that has white smoke when idling and more black smoke than usual during acceleration. Fuel milage down. Had it in dealership for a week they replaced #3 & # 5 injector and did not help. Need help I have an edge chip & AFE air filter. thanks

Rpainter 07-28-2007 07:07 AM

sounds like they missed a bad injector you can take it back and argue with they about it or you can check to see if there is a white smoke tsb for that year if not time for aftermarket sticks

t-boe 07-28-2007 07:59 AM

Keep an eye on your oil level. I'd take it back to the dealer like Rpainter said. Try running somes Howes in one tank and a quart of 2 stroke in the next tank. Basically cleaning up one tank and lubing up the next. I think the ULSD is reaking havoc on everyones injectors.

ohyeahfriday 07-28-2007 08:14 AM

I had white smoke as well, took the truck in to the dealer. They did the ECM flash for white smoke, but come the next day, guess what
? no different!

Oil level has been normal thus far, only other thing is some what of a tick once in a while, but figured it is a diesel, it doesn't run quiet. I am kind of lost on this one.

B.Law 07-28-2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rpainter (Post 1620217)
sounds like they missed a bad injector you can take it back and argue with they about it or you can check to see if there is a white smoke tsb for that year if not time for aftermarket sticks

I concur, all three times I have had this issue it has been injector related.

jennaspappy 08-05-2007 04:02 PM

Took it to Cummins had them work on it said nedded other 4 injectors picked it up friday 8/4/07 drove it 1 mile smoked so bad I took it back and they said they couldn't work on it till monday every body to busy. Feel like I am getting the shaft from the big C!

Rpainter 08-05-2007 05:21 PM

time to stop messing around with the dealer and give formula one acall and get a real set of sticks.

ohyeahfriday 08-05-2007 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rpainter (Post 1633586)
time to stop messing around with the dealer and give formula one acall and get a real set of sticks.

I was actually looking into this very idea, F1's or something of the sort, but am not too sure about the installation, and "needed know-how"

jennaspappy 08-05-2007 09:13 PM

If I Knew that I was going to put in all 6 in I would have went to the F1's. It sucksthat there is not a good shop any more if it doesn't have a code thy can't fix it.

ohyeahfriday 08-09-2007 09:54 PM

Isn't that the truth... Even harder yet is finding a decent mechanic with strong diesel background who will not rape you to do work.

Mine had a little stumble to it today on startup, not much white smoke though, and oil level seems to be same as it has been...

why do I feel like I need to do a lot of reading on replacing injectors...

jennaspappy 08-11-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday (Post 1640594)
Isn't that the truth... Even harder yet is finding a decent mechanic with strong diesel background who will not rape you to do work.

Mine had a little stumble to it today on startup, not much white smoke though, and oil level seems to be same as it has been...

why do I feel like I need to do a lot of reading on replacing injectors...

I have learned that if I need to get my truck worked on I need to start reading alot on my 5.9. Truck is running like new agian so we will see