3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What's the bottom line on XRF balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the bottom line on XRF balljoints?

For those that have them I would like to hear your thoughts/comments. Read several posts about them but some were a little obscure. Looked at their website but didn't really see what I was looking for.

Heard they were greasable but read that they aren't. Heard they messed up the knuckle bore and heard that they don't. Read they were junk after 30k and also read no probs after 70k.

What's the skinny on them....DO THEY WORK AS ADVERTISED?

Going to be ordering new b-joints and the new steering setup tomorrow morning and need some real-world feedback.

Thanks fellow DTR members.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 PM

I just installed a set on my 06.They were tight pressing in,but i doubt they would wreck the existing holes.They do not have grease nipples on them anymore.But with saying that my old ones were full of grease still when i took them out,and they were shot.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the response cletus....hoping to hear more positive comments like your about this. Granted my existing joints are Moogs and they do have almost 200k on them, I can't really say that they are junk like most everyone else does. It's a job doing ball joints and I just want to put some in that are going to be a good quality piece without the I-just-hit-the-lottery price!!

Probably going with the XRFs in the morning...can't wait for them and my steering to come in.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What you heard on comments on the XRF is just about what you hear on anyone else's ball joints to include moog and etc.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Ball Joints

I installed them on my truck the first set lasted about 25,000 mi. The top joint was shot already. So I called the company and the sent me new ones to replace them. I installed them. It has been maybe 7500 miles and the right front upper is shot already. So I am looking to replace all four with something better. All I read was nothing but good about them when I installed but I have had nothing but trouble. Seam like since I installed there has been a lot more complains about them.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not running XRF down, but I have read on here in a few posts about them not quite fitting right, to tight etc.

I installed Dynatrac Balljoints last fall.......about 18000 miles ago....and they are awesome! I don't recall hearing a bad thing or reading any negative threads about the Dynatracs.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Put XRFs on about 1,000 miles ago. No problems with them being "oversize", just the usual goat rope with the tools. So far, so good!

See the following for additional info: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t263763.html

Last edited by Sur5er; 10-08-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added URL:
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also just installed XRF's (non greasable)on my truck prob 1000mi give or take ago and couldn't be happier.I replaced everything in front end and truck is as good if not better than when it was new.I'm happy with the results.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM

After the originals started going at 35k i went to mooge and after 3 sets in 40k i ended up w carli uppers and xrf lowers , tha carli lowers wernt available, ive got around 78k on the combo and no problems.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM

glad to hear the positive comments on them. Ordered them Friday and they should be here tomorrow along with the new steering setup. Getting antsy waiting for it. It's like an early Christmas for me!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was looking into XRF's until these posts about being non-greaseable... Guess I'll pony up for dynatrac's.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM

I'll take my chances on the XRF's. I just simply cannot justify spending the amount of money it would take for the Carli's or the D-tracs. Everyone said the Moog balljoints were trash but mine have lasted right at 200k. If I can get even half of that on the XRF's I'll be satisfied.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just something to be aware of with the Moogs: their problem isn't wearing out. They will usually last a long time, but the big problem is that they are too tight on the 3rd gen applications and cause poor steering. It can really be felt when coming out of a turn and the wheels won't return to the straight-ahead position without help.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When i did mine in the 04, the XRF's are way expensive. I put in Moog's and I don't anticipate any issues. In regards to them, or any new ball joint being tight to press in, set the whole box in the freezer the night b4 and they'll slip right in.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM

So.....the XRF's arrived yesterday morning.....still waiting for the steering linkages to show up. Did some searching last night for a friend of mine and low and behold, under the search I was doing for him, Moog chassis parts show up, why I don't know.

Here's the kicker....the Moog upper and lower b-joints have the exact same part number as the XRF's!!!!!!!!!! Who makes these darn things anyways?? I'm guessing Moog makes them and labels them under a different entity...who knows. I was a little disheartened to find this out but like I stated in a previous post, the Moog b-joints I currently have have been great for the last 6 years. No problems at all with them until just recently. I guess with other parts wearing out the promblems tend to compound themselves.

Anywho, thought I'd share this info with anyone looking into buying the XRF's......they are more than likely re-branded Moog parts. Oh well, they were still cheaper than paying $500 for Moogs from the local parts store.

Quick Reply: What's the bottom line on XRF balljoints?