3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What RPM is safe for extended idleing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What RPM is safe for extended idleing?

I just had the high idle re-flash done and now have the idle control via the cruise control buttons.

When I'm warming up the truck on cold mornings, what is considered a safe RPM?

I know it's not good to idle at low RPMs for more than 5-10 minutes.

1.) So, what should I set the idle to when warming up in the mornings?

I intend to leave it ideling for about 20-30 minutes.

2.) Also, is there any problem idleing it up right after starting the engine on cold mornings?

Or should I let it idle for a few minutes before I dial it up to somewhere ~1100-1500 RPMs?

Thanks alot,

DT.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:42 AM

The few cold (cool compared with what's coming) mornings we've had so far, I let the oil preasure build (15 secs) and then idle up to 1200 for five to ten minutes.
I don't know if it's proper but it gets the job done.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Anything over 1,000 RPM is OK.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:05 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

i didn't think that cummins recommended idleing for longer than 5 mins at any rpms?

maybe i'm wrong.

britt

Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 PM

the general definition of idleing is below 1200 rpm that being said temps in the cylinder are not high enough to complete burn and deposits can form on the valves, pistons. run it at about 1200 but not for a half hour 3-5 minutes is plenty don't waste fuel if you want heat PLUG IT IN it better for for you the engine and for me cause your not wasting all that fuel and driving up my prices
Old 10-30-2004, 12:08 AM

About driving up prices. We live in a market driven economy like it or not. Hence the price of diesel. More goods are moved by truck per ton than trains/semi's ever did! Lately white collar yuppies took a liking to the blue collar diesel and increased demand for a barrel of oil. Before you get your .... in a knot,,, think about it. Rail used to move the vast tonnage of weight before it got lazy, overpriced and uncompetitive ! That doesn't justify the price of gaoline. Something stange is happening....So does that mean more diesel is being consumed than gasoline? No Dr. bend over way!!! Bend over here it comes again nineteen seventy all over again......B.O.H.I.C.A.....

Hey Young Bucks.... Stuff It!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:23 AM

More diesel than ever is being consumed ie: HIGHER demand if you burn more you increase demand and the price will increase with it and some light for you my father is a Dr. of Economics law of supply and demand works in every case. Greedy oil co's are screwing us if you honestly belive that your a moron I never told him he couldn't idle it and waste fuel he can do whatever he wants i told him he shouldn't if you don't like it E.S.A.D. and stuff it
Old 10-30-2004, 08:58 AM

man.... how did this thread turn into an arguement???

you would think we were talking about politics

whatever

britt

Old 10-30-2004, 12:54 PM

I just bought my truck about a week ago, and have quietly been getting information from this awesome site! First, I'm impressed by how web saavy all you old timers are. Secondly, I am a 24 year old, I am the yuppy. I drive a CTD because I like it. Other "yuppies" do too, maybe it's a fad, maybe it's not, fact is it doesn't really matter. I don't think Dodge cares what you're haulin' or if you're haulin' for that matter. Sorry for driving up your fuel prices, apparently it's my fault, but are you also going to thank us when our insight, and input, makes the truck we ALL love a little bit better?
Again, I don't want to start any wars, but I have spent hours reading on this site, and I am growing increasingly tired of bieng bashed for driving a truck I like, because I don't pull a frikin' horse trailer.
Thanks for all the good info!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Daimo42
I just bought my truck about a week ago, and have quietly been getting information from this awesome site! First, I'm impressed by how web saavy all you old timers are. Secondly, I am a 24 year old, I am the yuppy. I drive a CTD because I like it. Other "yuppies" do too, maybe it's a fad, maybe it's not, fact is it doesn't really matter. I don't think Dodge cares what you're haulin' or if you're haulin' for that matter. Sorry for driving up your fuel prices, apparently it's my fault, but are you also going to thank us when our insight, and input, makes the truck we ALL love a little bit better?
Again, I don't want to start any wars, but I have spent hours reading on this site, and I am growing increasingly tired of bieng bashed for driving a truck I like, because I don't pull a frikin' horse trailer.
Thanks for all the good info!
Bad Daimo42 - no diesel....
Old 10-31-2004, 02:45 PM

Idle time should be adjusted to outside temps. When it gets really cold (-20F and colder) I will idle at 1200 to 1400 for up to 20 min. Plugging it in helps a bunch I plug in at about 10F and colder again the length of time plugged in is relative to the temps. On occasion I will even warm up idleing with it plugged in.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by AKram
On occasion I will even warm up idleing with it plugged in.
That's actually the best way to do it. The block heater does not add enough heat that you are ever in danger of overheating. There's no reason to unplug the truck until you're ready to drive.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by AKram

On occasion I will even warm up idleing with it plugged in.
Originally posted by wannadiesel
That's actually the best way to do it. The block heater does not add enough heat that you are ever in danger of overheating. There's no reason to unplug the truck until you're ready to drive.

man, i am glad you guys brought that up. i know it's silly but i have always wondered if it was okay to run the truck while it is still pluged in. probably says so in the owners manual but why would i read that when i have you guys

britt