Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   What about our 600tq 04.5 waste gates ? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/what-about-our-600tq-04-5-waste-gates-48907/)

1TONY1 08-08-2004 10:13 PM

What about our 600tq 04.5 waste gates ?

I really got used to the throttle controlling boost on my 97. The 04.5 seems to have a mind of it's own. lol I know it's computer controlled, is it via hose/boost or is it all electronic. Pulling 15k, mine will make 25 psi on one hill then on the next it will make 29 ...what is the computer looking at to make these decisions. Without the trailer it can go to 36, then drops to around 30. It seems like it would help my HIGH egt readings if it was blowing 35 pulling the hills. It's time to figure out how to fool it. I have not gotten close and personal with it yet, but I will. I just wanted to get some thoughts ahead of time.

p.s. I view this as an egt/towing post more than a performance post.

mattymac 08-08-2004 11:30 PM

The wastegate is closed for rocket fast spool ups for emmissions until the turbo is making about 30 or so lbs then it slams open to not overspool (35-36max boost). When you add a chip with a boost fooler it tells the ECM that its not making as much boost as it really is and so the electric valve on the turbo doesnt open thus giving you a flater boost fall off. The problem with this is that with the extra power and now no wastegate your boost #'s are dangerously high! The TST wastegate set up works pretty good, It just basically bypasses the stock wastegate.

1TONY1 08-09-2004 09:01 AM

Is the TST wategate setup an elbow with a bleed hole or something else ? I have the new Edge EZ for the 600 and it does not come with any wastegate fooling stuff.

LinearX 08-09-2004 09:18 AM

He is a beta tester for the Edge EZ for the 600 motor. To that end, it didn't come with a boost elbow of any sort (I'm assuming since it's electronically controlled), but I don't think the turbo is making any more boost with the EZ on than without.

1TONY1 08-09-2004 09:17 PM

Looked things over tonight. It has a normal wastegate that is controlled via boost as normal. This boost signal is controlled by an electronic actuator that would be controlled by the pcm. I assume, the pcm is getting it's info from the map sensor. Why Edge doesn't control the boost level I don't know. What is needed (I THINK)
is to intercept the map signal (voltage) and manipulate it to make the pcm think there is less boost. That should not be real hard, but I don't know how it would effect other things including the Edge box. Thoughts ???

mattymac 08-10-2004 12:17 AM

when I ran the EZ my boost went from a spike of 36 then to 30 or so flat lbs stock. then with the EZ I could hit over 40lbs easy because the boost fooler told the ECM to low of a boost value to let the signal be sent to the w/g to open.

1TONY1 08-10-2004 11:18 AM

Originally posted by mattymac
when I ran the EZ my boost went from a spike of 36 then to 30 or so flat lbs stock. then with the EZ I could hit over 40lbs easy because the boost fooler told the ECM to low of a boost value to let the signal be sent to the w/g to open.
This was on your 600 ? Edge told me there was no boost fooling on the 600 EZ.

1TONY1 08-10-2004 04:35 PM

I clamped the wastegate hose today. It will make a max boost of 40-42 psi. Doesn't feel any stronger......makes sense with no extra fuel, but it might just lower egt's. There are no check engine lights yet, but I have notice that about 25% of the time....full throttle in 3rd gear there is a slight hiccup around 2600 rpm. Like a quick missfire in a gas engine. The pcm probably dropped fuel or something because it was reading overboost. If that's the case I would think it would set a code. Who knows.....the real test will be towing and an egt comparison.

LinearX 08-10-2004 05:40 PM

What are we waiting on? I'm sure we can find enough junk to cram into the trailer and make it worthwhile to haul up the road.

I was looking today in the service manual on adjusting the wastegate on the 305 motor, and there is no mention of how to adjust it to factory settings per se. I'ma go see if I can tell if the actuator is adjustable or not. Now I need a dang box. :)

1TONY1 08-10-2004 07:56 PM

The actuator on mine is theaded. I did see a post somewhere and the guy just used washers to shim the diaphram end of the actuator.

turboost 08-10-2004 08:12 PM

Wouldn't more boost without fuel create higher EGT's ? Or is that just true on gas engines?

Gypsyman 08-10-2004 11:17 PM

Originally posted by LinearX
I was looking today in the service manual on adjusting the wastegate on the 305 motor, and there is no mention of how to adjust it to factory settings per se. I'ma go see if I can tell if the actuator is adjustable or not. Now I need a dang box. :)
They are threaded but on my '03 it was crimped/crushed/dimpled at the factory so that you can't adjust the rod end. I was going to drill the crimp so that I could adjust it but I have a B1-04 coming so I let it slide.

-Richard

1TONY1 08-11-2004 07:38 AM

Originally posted by turboost
Wouldn't more boost without fuel create higher EGT's ? Or is that just true on gas engines?
I will do some 3rd/4th gear runs this week (no trailer) for comparison. So far just driving, the egt looks better, but I need to do back to back runs. I have a friend that was having egt problems with his 5.9 12 valve motorhome. Last week they crimped the wastegate line shut.....the boost went up 7 psi and the egt's went down.

turboost 08-11-2004 09:37 PM

You would think more boost with less fuel makes it leaner which burns hotter. I would think something else is taking place. Perhaps you found the compressor's most effecient spot on the curve? Otherwise maybe the computer is doing more than you know of.

John_C 08-20-2004 04:17 PM

With the wastegate line crimped off, cylinder temperatures will be lower as there is more air in the combustion chamber - like at idle, but not so dramatic.

Bigger issue is one of turbo life. You may be overspeeding the turbo at very high boost pressures (I don't have a map or I could tell you) , and it's even worse at altitude - 3%/1000' increase in turbo speed.

Turbo is accumulating fatigue everytime it is ramped up, and more fatigue with higher turbo speeds. I'd expect the compressor wheel to give up the ghost and break into 2-3 pieces (hub burst) at somepoint in your journey :mad: