3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rough running, possible injector or pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough running, possible injector or pump?

I have 16K on the truck. No problems since new except AC. Just replaced the fuel filter at 15K and pulled a 10K load no problem after that. Truck ran perfectly last night. This afternoon I went to start it to get some parts and it started weird like it missed a little. Started up and running really rough. Whole truck is shaking and when you rev it it hesitates and is very rough all the way through the throttle. Sounds to me like an injector or the injector pump.

No codes, no smoke, and no leaks that I can see. I pulled the dip stick its in the safe zone and I do not smell any diesel in the oil.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, did it clear up after a few minutes or does it still run rough? Could possibly be a sticky FCA valve on the CP3.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Hmmm, did it clear up after a few minutes or does it still run rough? Could possibly be a sticky FCA valve on the CP3.
I let it run for maybe a minute. I am going to see if I can drive it today so I can drop it off at the dealer in the morning. Even if it clears up I want it looked at so there is a record of the possible issue.

Thanks for the reply, I will check it out later today.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
PCM

I have had the same problems - twice. First time they replaced injector #2 and 2nd time, just last week, they replaced ALL the injectors AND did some kind of reflash. It now runs better than it ever has and the mpg has gone up 1.5-2.0 mpg as well. I'm really pleased now. I have never thought that this truck was performing as it should since day 1. I have the 06 Quad cab with auto with 20k miles now. From what I've read and experienced, change your fuel filter more often - at least every 10k. Good luck. pcm
Old 10-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by PCM
I have had the same problems - twice. First time they replaced injector #2 and 2nd time, just last week, they replaced ALL the injectors AND did some kind of reflash. It now runs better than it ever has and the mpg has gone up 1.5-2.0 mpg as well. I'm really pleased now. I have never thought that this truck was performing as it should since day 1. I have the 06 Quad cab with auto with 20k miles now. From what I've read and experienced, change your fuel filter more often - at least every 10k. Good luck. pcm
So you had the same problems. No smoke, no codes, and no diesel in the oil?

My guess would be that the injector would be clogged then.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM

Just drove it around the town a bit. It stopped running like hell after about a minute of driving. But it seems like its much louder then normal. The exhaust was already pretty warm after a minute of running and was not up to temp yet.

Not sure what to make of it. I might just call a tow to get it to the dealer in the morning or see if I can get there...
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

The truck drove OK to the dealer. No issues I could see really...

The dealer didnt find anything, what a suprise. My guess would be that valve was stuck like Spooler said.

Atleast its on record I had the issue. Thanks for everyones posts.