3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

turbo bark, and wheel issues...long day already.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo bark, and wheel issues...long day already.

quick question about wheels. when I turn hard left or right, it feels like the front wheels are "biting" almost, kinda like it is in 4hi. and if I listen, I can almost hear it popping/cracking/snapping. balljoints? also, I dont know what part this is, it is an arm that comes off the steering linkage, and goes to the right front wheel, when I grab it, I can actually wiggle it up and down. am I wrong to think that that shouldnt happen being that it is attached to my steering? as far as steering goes, everything seems normal, aside from the biting issue. it does pull a little to the right.

now, on to the turbo bark. I am assuming that's what it is. I went to merge, and some idiot wasnt moving over into a perfectly good, empty lane. I went to accelerate, than figured I could just be patient and slide in behind him. I let off the gas and heard a rushing of air in two short bursts. turbo bark right? that is the second time I have heard it since i bought the truck. first time I was starting the truck and accidently let off the key before it started, and heard it bark. should I be worried, or is this ok everynow and then?

thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 AM

might be a front U-joint in your wheel... mine sounded like that when it went away. Jack it up, rotate your wheel forward/backward while watching the u-joint. If it's bad you'll see the slop in it.

Yep, that's turbo bark. Mine does that when I shift fast while building boost... try not to do it too often!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by shineboy2
Mine does that when I shift fast while building boost... try not to do it too often!!!
I am an auto, so is there a way to make sure I dont do it? I assume just dont floor it, then let off right away?

I will jack up the front end and check it out. thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Sounds like tie rod end if you are getting slop up and down on the tie rod.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ian515
I am an auto, so is there a way to make sure I dont do it? I assume just dont floor it, then let off right away?

I will jack up the front end and check it out. thanks.

ya, just ease out of the throttle... or keep it wide open!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by elirandolph
Sounds like tie rod end if you are getting slop up and down on the tie rod.
I thought I read about the bushings on the tie rod? is that what you mean?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

What is turbo bark?...
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

ya, just ease out of the throttle... or keep it wide open!!!
I like your style
Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM

I have a problem with turbo bark (hope that is what it is) when I pull our big fiver in the mountains. I will start up a hill in 5th and have do downshift, sometimes all the way to 3rd before I get over the hill (mountain). If I am not real careful how I let off the skinny pedal before I push the clutch to the floor, it barks real bad. Of course, my boost is up around 22lbs when this happens. If I ease off the throttle just a little before clutching, and let the boost drop a little, it does not happen. You know what they say.....timing is everything.

Does this sound like turbo bark to you guys, or do I have something else to worry about?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

does it sound like short bursts of "woosh" "woosh"? and like its comin from the turbo side of the engine?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by radshooter
I have a problem with turbo bark (hope that is what it is) when I pull our big fiver in the mountains. I will start up a hill in 5th and have do downshift, sometimes all the way to 3rd before I get over the hill (mountain). If I am not real careful how I let off the skinny pedal before I push the clutch to the floor, it barks real bad. Of course, my boost is up around 22lbs when this happens. If I ease off the throttle just a little before clutching, and let the boost drop a little, it does not happen. You know what they say.....timing is everything.

Does this sound like turbo bark to you guys, or do I have something else to worry about?

Thanks.
that's it.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM

that's it.
Thanks. I figured that was what I was hearing.

Can someone explain the physics of turbo-bark and what actually happens in the turbo?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM

if I remember how it was explained to me, it was backpressure forcing the blades on the turbo to rotate the other way...I could be mistaken though. thats why it is not recommended to let happen a lot since its really bad on the internals I guess.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Sounds like it would be really hard on the bearings.

Is it the sudden release of pressure when I push in on the clutch? Where does the back pressure come from? Seems like the turbo would be pushing air at a million RPMs, why would it not keep pushing air just because I pushed the clutch? Or is it because when the clutch is pushed, pressure released, does the turbo speed up because of less pressure? Are we hearing the turbo speed up? This is driving me nuts trying to reason this out.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM

Don't think this is turbo bark, but if I get on mine while I'm already moving (lets say, 35 mph to 55 mph) I get a "whoosh whoosh" sound right when I burry the throttle but then goes away but while rpms are climbing, is that just excess boost, because my foot is still in it?

I don't have gauges (yet) and the 5.9 is completely stock with an auto behind it.

Quick Reply: turbo bark, and wheel issues...long day already.