3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck starts then dies

Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck starts then dies

Truck starts then dies and continues about three or four times.... No codes or anything? Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Try this, bump the starter but do not start and wait about 10 seconds to run the fuel pump, then crank the engine. If it starts and stays running check the fuel pump.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Thx papaD ill try that....
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be the KEY my key done it to me! Had to have it reset at the dealer.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Blackbear.... I tried my extra key and it did the same thing.... Could it be on the truck side?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigthumper
Blackbear.... I tried my extra key and it did the same thing.... Could it be on the truck side?
Could be an anti theft issue. Pull both battery positives for about 30 min. Then hook them back up and see if it will stay running.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bigthumper
Truck starts then dies and continues about three or four times.... No codes or anything? Any ideas?
Assuming you are referring about your 2007 truck...

If the SKIM security issue is having an issue with your RFID/Chip keys, the truck will run for exactly 5 seconds and die with an unprogrammed key.
Every time.

Check for codes again, using the key on/off 3 times.

What is the lift pump fuel pressure like? Do you have a lift pump fuel pressure gauge? If not, an easy way to check the lift pump is to open the fuel filter cannister water drain.
Bump the ignition key, don't start the engine. This will get the lift pump running for about 30 seconds a fuel should really shoot out of the fuel water drain.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 AM

2006 2500 5.9 4x4 Lone Star with the same issue

I am having the exact same symptoms when I try to start my truck. It starts easily and then dies after 2-3 seconds. I can make it do that 3-4 times. After that it just turns over and will not fire.

I did bump the starter and heard the pump running, for 15-20 secs. At that point, it goes back to the same pattern of starting and dying.

Per a previous post in this thread, I cycled the ignition on and off 3 times and there were no codes displayed. There are no engine lights, other than the normal ones, displayed either.

I plan on checking the lift pump this evening by opening the water drain and bumping the starter. I am changing the fuel filter this evening as well.

I just bought this truck, private sale, and drove it for 750 miles (approx) before this started happening.

So if the lift pump is spraying out fuel when I bump the starter, what is the next step?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is on topic.

Thank you in advance.

Phil
Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Turns out to be a fuel filter issue

I was able to get the time to look into this problem. Turns out the fuel filter was the issue. When I took it out, it was jet black. New fuel filter and everything is good.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GALoneStar
I was able to get the time to look into this problem. Turns out the fuel filter was the issue. When I took it out, it was jet black. New fuel filter and everything is good.
I just changed my filter today on my new used truck with about 700 miles on it and my filter was nasty black as well!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Assuming you are referring about your 2007 truck...

If the SKIM security issue is having an issue with your RFID/Chip keys, the truck will run for exactly 5 seconds and die with an unprogrammed key.
Every time.

Check for codes again, using the key on/off 3 times.

What is the lift pump fuel pressure like? Do you have a lift pump fuel pressure gauge? If not, an easy way to check the lift pump is to open the fuel filter cannister water drain.
Bump the ignition key, don't start the engine. This will get the lift pump running for about 30 seconds a fuel should really shoot out of the fuel water drain.
i havent check for codes yet but it does the five sec run then dies... it will do it 3-4 times then start just fine... i even tried my spare key and its the same with it...

ill check for codes in the morning
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by GALoneStar

my filter has less than 1,000 miles on it
Old 11-25-2018, 03:11 PM

Starts and dies

I have a 04.5 Dodge cummCum. I just installed a fass fuel system on it. I start it up and it dies after about 30 seconds. I've primed the system bleed the air out at the filter still no luck. I did put the suction line in a bucket of diesel to see if I was getting air in the system it didn't change.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:51 PM

I just ran into this problem before going on xmas vacation, however I had the same symptoms around the middle of October. Back in October my rig was running while I was checking messages, then it just died after a couple of minutes and it took nearly 40 minutes before I got it running for more than 5 seconds. I never had any other issues with it until a couple weeks ago on the 19th of December...

I had just driven it the day before without any issues since the October issue. I cranked it up and got down the road but just before the hwy, it died on me. I got a couple of errors, 1) Intermittent Key something (I've been getting this from time to time and just clear it) and 2) Fan speed something (I can't completely remember these codes I was a bit stressed). I pulled the master fuse and got enough time out of the truck to get it back to the driveway (maybe a quarter mile) and it died again! Repeated the steps and parked it in the driveway to wait for me until I come back from vacation.

I came home from vacation the other night, the next day I ran the truck...I'm pretty sure longer than 2 minutes. The next day...today...I replaced both filters on the FASS, primed the system, started the truck, it ran for less than 2 minutes then died. Currently I have disconnected the batteries to see if I can get the computer to completely reset, and see what happens from there.

It is a 2006 Cummins with approx 145K on it. I will admit that I haven't changed the fuel filters in awhile, 3 years, but living in Key West I don't really put a lot of miles on it. I'm wondering more about the key and the ECM communication issue, what does it take for the dealer to reset your key? years ago when I bought the rig used, I asked for a second key. They gave me a valet key that I tried to use, and if I remember correctly it was about the same problem until I used the key that came with it.