Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Transmission problem? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/transmission-problem-311772/)

Clbgbbn6 04-26-2013 01:44 PM

Transmission problem?

Recently I have noticed a shaking in my truck, the catch is that is only happens when the truck is cold. It starts shaking at highway speeds, 45 and up. At first I thought it was a unbalanced tire but then I realized that it has kind of a rhythm shake. As It was shaking I popped the transfer case into neutral and the shaking stopped, but the transfer case shifter was shaking horribly. When the truck warms up (10-15 minutes of driving) it stops and drives normally.
I am stuck and am sick of paying hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to tell me what I already know and replace some sort of sensor. So I joined a forum and hoping that I can save my self a couple trips to various shops.

Note: 5.9 HO diesel, 4 speed w/OD, and 4x4 transfer case. Also the front drive shaft recently sheared off. Thats when the shaking started. I have been ensured it was not that, but I'm not sure. It hasn't replaced it yet.

47Dodge 04-26-2013 10:56 PM

Maybe a stiff U joint? You put the T Case into N as you were moving down the road or at idle?

Clbgbbn6 04-27-2013 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 47Dodge (Post 3180914)
Maybe a stiff U joint? You put the T Case into N as you were moving down the road or at idle?

Big O tires replaced the u-joints and told me that would fix it. And yes, even though I probably shouldn't have, I popped it into neutral and it fixed the body shakes, but the shifter was still shaking. The transmission was also in neutral.

47Dodge 04-27-2013 01:01 AM

If you have a 2 piece drive shaft it could be out of phase. I know older trucks would shake if the shafts are out of phase. Dont know if thats still true on the new trucks.

Its got to be drive line related I would think since it goes away when you kick the t case into N yet the shifter shakes. I would think from the T case forward to the engine is ok.

vangasman 04-27-2013 09:04 PM

You said you sheared off the front drive shaft and that's when it started. Maybe it bent something (yoke, etc). That's where i'd start. What were you doing to break the drive line?

Clbgbbn6 04-29-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by vangasman (Post 3181028)
You said you sheared off the front drive shaft and that's when it started. Maybe it bent something (yoke, etc). That's where i'd start. What were you doing to break the drive line?

I got stuck in the snow and popped it in 4wd. Next thing I heart was a couple of smacks and that's when I noticed it was sheared. I was throwin it in and out if drive and reverse.