3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trans not shifting well

Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation trans not shifting well

03 2500 diesel -had complete trans flush about 1500 miles ago pulled 5er on vacation everything ok ,now it is having trouble shifting out of 1st. after running then stopping and starting up again! its fine when it sits for a period of time I just passed 70,000 miles on it (out of warranty) going to call dealer who did flush and see what they say, any thoughts ,thanks for any help you can give
Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 PM

Not sure if it helps or pertains to your situation, but the transmissions do "adjust" themselves to your driving. Maybe the trip with the 5er was long enough for the trans learn to hold gears longer to get power up?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level when warm, level ground, idle, in neutral?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 PM

yes and to me it looks like to much fluid but ,this was done at a dealer but its always looked this way
Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM

Look on your work reciept to verify what type of fluid they put back in.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to set the E-brake and check it with the truck in Neutral so that fluid is running through the tranny cooler. Do that and see how it looks on the stick.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM

If it's overfull when hot then take some out. They seem to change levels on their own. Mine has been low after the 60k band adjustment at the dealer. It shifted just fine until the temps got real warm last week, Ihad to add about 1/2 quart.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
If it's overfull when hot then take some out. They seem to change levels on their own. Mine has been low after the 60k band adjustment at the dealer. It shifted just fine until the temps got real warm last week, Ihad to add about 1/2 quart.

thanks I checked it in park (getting old and not thinking ) I'll see whats on the stick
Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
You need to set the E-brake and check it with the truck in Neutral so that fluid is running through the tranny cooler. Do that and see how it looks on the stick.

thanks I checked it in park ( getting old and not thinking ) will check again the right way! by the way, it has been shifting smooth the last two days no problem.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:01 PM

I had mine serviced at the dealer and when I got home I checked the fluid in Netrual and it was down 1.5 Quarts. Dealer said the Mechanic normally works on jeeps and they are checked in Park. Makes me wonder what he did inside the Trans?????
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike M
I had mine serviced at the dealer and when I got home I checked the fluid in Netrual and it was down 1.5 Quarts. Dealer said the Mechanic normally works on jeeps and they are checked in Park. Makes me wonder what he did inside the Trans?????
Well... Now you KNOW the dealer is full of it!
Jeeps are to be checked in Neutral as well. That makes 2 stupid people at this dealership!

Oilguy
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM

I forgot to ad that they overlooked a leaking pinion seal on the front housing. That was fixed yesterday.

Maybe they should do an IQ test on these guys
Old 08-25-2006, 04:59 PM

I recently read a post on another forum by a master transmission builder that said to NEVER do a flush, only do a drain, filter change, and fill.

http://dieselram.com/ubb/ultimatebb....=000016#000013

Look for posts by Tim Holt - something about a flush, if done by an hourly guy just following directions (as opposed to a master tech who's been around the block a few times) can cause problems by picking up bits of trash and forces it through the valve body and other highly sensitive places.

Whatever, it makes sense to me and I'll never have a 'flush' done by a McTranny shop - I'll just drain the Mag-Hytec and fill 'er up with +4 or +3 / LubeGuard.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone could do a tranny flush wrong. New fluid is pumped into the pan and old fluid is removed after it is pumped out of the tranny. When new fluid is pumped into the pan it goes through the tranny filter before in enters any of the "sensitive" parts.

I do my own flushes by removing the line that goes back into the tranny after the cooler and running a clear poly tube to a bucket by the driver's door. Then I run the truck in neutral until nothing more comes out and then shut off truck (actually I put the back axle on jackstands and run the truck though different gears but neutral will work if you don't have jackstands). Refill the pan (Mag Hytec) and do over until all old fluid is pumped out.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:22 PM

tranny shifts

not to hijack your post , but Ive noticed twice now that sometimes my tranny will go to a full 2000-2400 rev before shifts. 98% of the time it goes thru the gears quickly and stays under 2000. I just bought the truck two days ago, should I disconnect the battery and "reset" the computer ?? 03 2500 diesel thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trans not shifting well