3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny issues after new TCC, Governor solenoid, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny issues after new TCC, Governor solenoid, etc

Background- 06 Mega cab, 5.9, 224k, 48RE. Torque converter upgrade from Inglewood Transmission somewhere about 140K. Recently would not shift out of first so 2 weeks ago I replaced the Overdrive and TCC solenoid, Governor Pressure Solenoid, Governor pressure sensor (one of those I believe was the 8 pin electrical harness), trans filter & new fluids.

Transmission worked fabulous for 3 days & about 150-200 miles, then as I was driving it slowed up as if the tranny shifted into Neutral. When stopped I ran it through all the gear selections even placed into 4hi then 4lo, Rev the motor, no power to drivetrain, nothing. Shut the rig off, start it up, place in drive, power to drivetrain, think "sweet, that was a fluke incident." Travel approximately 500ft, loose forward momentum/power to transmission. Crap! Shut her down, then start her up. Again power for 500ft or so, then coast as if in neutral. Repeated about 5 times then no more, nothing, dead. Fluid level fine, No check engine light, no codes, nothing. Do a little research while waiting for a tow. I then disconnect what I believe is the TCC harness located on the drivers side of the transmission place it in N, start it, try putting it in low,then 2, then drive, still nothing. Engine light comes on still no forward momentum. Crap!!

Fast forward to tonight, clean the contacts at the same DS tranny connection, plug it in, start her up, no check engine light, ... put it in R, tranny engages, backs down the driveway, put it in D pull into my garage, think "WHOO HOO! that was IT!!" time for a test drive, run into the house then back out to go and wouldn't you know it, NO power again to the tranny WTH!?

I'm now truly perplexed and looking for suggestions. I hope its something simple that I'm overlooking but at least it's in a dry location to work on it.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM

Sounds like something came loose on the VB or the governor pressure solenoid took a dump.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:00 PM

thanks, how common is it for the solenoid to immediately take a dump?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:52 PM

Don't know how common but it happens. When I had my transmission rebuilt. Shop had test drove it and so did I, everything worked fine. Then on the way home started acting up. Took it back, shop had to do a rebuild again. Luckily it was under warranty. It was a brand new Borg Warner governer solenoid bad from the factory. So it does happen!