Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Synthetic Lubricants?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/synthetic-lubricants-189929/)

Stovetop535 01-31-2008 06:32 PM

Synthetic Lubricants??

Im sure this has been discussed on here a million times...but how do you guys feel about snythetic lubricants in these trucks? usually everyone i talk to just says rotella 15w40 and that...I have been looking on google and have found a few articles but mostly mixed reviews.
thanks

patoka pirate 01-31-2008 06:52 PM

I like the rotella 5-40 synthetic. I can't plug in my truck in the winter, live in a condo, no outlet in parking area, so the cold flow properties are greatly appreciated. Also it is a 5 mile drive to work, so it's not going to warm up as I go to work. Lastly, when I do pull a trailer on the weekends, it's about an hour and a half to the lake. They dont put lakes in my area near level terrain. Lots of hills to get there. I still change it every 5000 miles and use fleetguard stratapore filter. This might be overkill. But I dont want to miss work with a broke down truck because I cheaped out on oil changes. And I definately don't want to miss a day on the lake.

Roperteacher 01-31-2008 07:36 PM

I use the AMSOIL 15/40 syhtnetic with great results. My truck gets worked HARD on the weekends and is a commuter during the week. I change every 5,000 as well. Definate over kill but I get board and like to look around at stuff!

BRT 01-31-2008 07:45 PM

Cold as it gets up there, A good synthetic won't hurt a bit.
Mainly for the reasons the Pirate spoke of.

I'm like these guys , religious oil changes.
I could care less bout extended blah blah, analysis blah blah.
Good Fleetguard filter 15-40 Valvoline every 5k.
Piece of mind and gives my idle hands something to do.

D-Roc 01-31-2008 08:11 PM

I work in a place where I have gotten to tear down diesel engines and fuel injection pumps as well. I have gotten to see first hand the results of dirty oil- it is a cheap and reliable method of insurance to the average owner/operator that should never be overlooked.
Fuel filter/good quality fuel and coolant maintenance as well...

WhoozYaDaddy 01-31-2008 08:44 PM

5w40 only comes in synthetic to my knowledge. Just as the others posted , I would use synthetic in the winter because of your area temperature range. I use synthetic in NC. Rotella regular in the summer will be just fine.

DBLR 02-01-2008 10:36 AM

They do make a 5w40 synthetic blend oil so make sure its all synthetic and not a synthetic blend.

checkster 02-01-2008 11:10 AM

Royal Purple every 10k here. So far so good

Hounddog 02-01-2008 11:15 AM

Every vehicle I own from front to back and one of them the wheel bearing grease also.03 Dodge Dually in my sig.1998 1500 in my sig.a 06 Mercury Gran Marquis 4.6 AND my New Holland tractor with front loader including all hyd.oil in it.There you go.

Stovetop535 02-01-2008 01:11 PM

cool...thanks for the help guys...i am due for an oil change here soon and im gonna try out a synthetic and see how i like it!

mmurray 02-01-2008 04:19 PM

I ran rotella 15w40 for the first 60k miles... no problem...

Now I run Rotella Synthetic 5w40.... No problems here.... only a few bucks more and better lubricity...

I like either one... I chose the synthetic just trying to do something nice for my truck!!! hahahaha.... It's done so much for me since I bought it!!! hahahaha...

Dynocon 02-01-2008 06:43 PM

From what I understand the synthetic is lab controlled so every molecule is consistent. In natural oil you can get a molecule that is not and it may not have the properties you desire.

The basic difference in the oils we purchase is the addative packs.

Is this correct?

snoyes 02-01-2008 07:06 PM

Honestly,

For the winter I understand the need to run a 5W40 oil for ease of operations, esp starts in the cold. Most guys in Alaska swear by it. However, if you are using synthetics and changing your oil every 5K, really, you are not max performing your investment. The additional cost of a synthetic can be offset by the extended periods between required oil changes. If you are changing even more frequently then recommended, say 5K or less, then you are not realizing your investment on the synthetic. Most good dino oils will hold up just fine if you plan on changing oil every 5K or less and cost significantly less. Just my .02

patoka pirate 02-01-2008 08:04 PM

I agree with snoyes. But 5000 miles works out to 2 oil changes per year for me. 21000 miles on an '05. And no my license was not suspended for 2 years. LOL. Seriously, I do it once in the spring and once in the fall. And fuel filter at same time,also fleetguard. Takes about an hour including smoke break.

billie 02-01-2008 10:50 PM

My manual says below 0*F (-18*C) should be synthetic, with no change in frequency. I don't believe in changing between dino and syn and up here -18 is the norm not unusual. I'm a fan of symthetic. You can feel the difference on a cold start.

The cost difference isn't that much but I agree on changing too early. 12km or 7500m works for me.

Cya