3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is a larger air filter needed??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a larger air filter needed??

Why does my 5.9 Cummins in my Freightliner FL70 have a larger air filter than my Dodge 5.9 Cummins. As far as I know the engine is the same. Seems to me that the larger the filter the better filtering system.
I ask this because I have a 2005 3500 Ram with 96K on it that has been serviced at all reccomended intervals, more on the air filter, and is currently in the shop for a "dusted" engine. Which of course D/C is refusing to warranty.
I have all service records for the truck and all of the receipts for the air filters that I changed EVERY 2500 miles. It seems to me that Dodge has designed a poor filtering system for this truck and needs to own up to it. I know of four other people in my area that are currently having the exact same problem with their truck. I'm not sure that this is just a coincidence. It seems more like a design flaw to me.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Changing airfilters every 2500 miles?? What brand of filters are you using??

MikeyB
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Fram mostly. That is what the Rapid Lube I use carries.
I should also state that I live in West Texas and deliver oilfield equipment to drilling rigs, so most of my driving is on dirt raods. That is why I thought I was doing a good thing in changing it every 2500 miles.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Hate to say it but Fram is probably the problem. Fram maybe ok for a gasser but it can't handle the filtration that a turbocharged diesel requires. I would stick with the factory Mopar (made by Fleetguard, filter division of Cummins) or the Amsoil Ea series of filters (made by Donaldson).

MikeyB
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM

I replaced my air filter today with a fleetguard from Geno's, I was amazed at the quality difference in the two filters - the factory was way inferior to the fleetguard - factory was flimsy, almost falling apart, three months old!

I get all my filters delivered from Geno's Garage. (Fleetguard)
Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 PM

What do you guys think about a kn air filter,some say they are great others say they are crap. Whats the true story?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rodsram
I replaced my air filter today with a fleetguard from Geno's, I was amazed at the quality difference in the two filters - the factory was way inferior to the fleetguard - factory was flimsy, almost falling apart, three months old!

I get all my filters delivered from Geno's Garage. (Fleetguard)
Check out www.fleetfilter.com/. I think they have the best prices on Fleetguard filters.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 PM

My take on this is the way the air box closes on the rams. The back notches that accept the top of the box tend to pinch and roll the top of the air filter gasket. Not enough clearence to compress the filter seal without rolling the airfilter gasket. The three snap strap hold down closures are all towards the engine side. This is a very poor design that doesn't allow equal compression of the air filter rubber gasket to the substandard air box. With all that said Fram is a lousy choice for a high volume air sucking cummins diesel, any diesel for that matter. Middleroad filter for gas motors,but our cummins need better filtration. Sorry to hear you getting shafted on a dealer attempt. GET OIL ANALYSIS FOR SILICONE LEVELS! Go and get some engine oil from your trucks motor and send it to a blackstone lab, catdealer or talk to any diesel shop how to get this done. You need hard evidence to write off a warrantee on a airfilter dusting a motor. Good Luck !
Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 PM

I have found that applying a light coat of silicone grease on the air filter gasket makes it a lot easier to install the top cover and helps prevent damage to the gasket.

MikeyB
Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEVER...
Fram or K&N
Both were not designed with a big turbo diesel in mind.
Stick with what was listed before. I get my Fleet filters at the local Cummins dealer and replace them every oil change.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 AM

These pickups don't have the room for a proper air filter. Bigger IS better with air filters. Efficiency goes up as air velocity goes down even with the same filter media. I'm in the process of relocating my right battery so I can have an air filter like nobody has seen in a pickup! I hope to finish the battery move tomorrow, then on with the filter fix. Sorry, but I wouldn't give a nickel for a train load of Fram stuff. Craig
Old 01-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Check out www.fleetfilter.com/. I think they have the best prices on Fleetguard filters.
Well Napa/fleet filter wants $13.05 and Genos price for Fleet Guard is $12.95 even if I only buy one filter. My self I'll stick to Genos.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DBLR
Well Napa/fleet filter wants $13.05 and Genos price for Fleet Guard is $12.95 even if I only buy one filter. My self I'll stick to Genos.
Ah, I thought he was referring to a BHAF filter. That site is the cheapest I've found for the BHAF's.

I have yet to have a good experience with Geno's myself. I try to buy as little as possible from them.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM

M.Breeding,
I live in Midland, so I know what you mean about dust. I use the Amsoil Eaa filter in both mine and my wife's diesel trucks and am very happy with them so far. Also, the above suggestion about putting a little grease on the gasket before replacing the top sounds like a great idea to me...I think I'll reinstall mine soon doing just that.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by M.Breeding
Why does my 5.9 Cummins in my Freightliner FL70 have a larger air filter than my Dodge 5.9 Cummins. As far as I know the engine is the same. Seems to me that the larger the filter the better filtering system.
I ask this because I have a 2005 3500 Ram with 96K on it that has been serviced at all reccomended intervals, more on the air filter, and is currently in the shop for a "dusted" engine. Which of course D/C is refusing to warranty.
I have all service records for the truck and all of the receipts for the air filters that I changed EVERY 2500 miles. It seems to me that Dodge has designed a poor filtering system for this truck and needs to own up to it. I know of four other people in my area that are currently having the exact same problem with their truck. I'm not sure that this is just a coincidence. It seems more like a design flaw to me.
You have recourse against either the manufacturer of the air filter or Dodge or both. Contact your Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against the dealership refusing to warranty the problem. Let them prove the air filter caused the problem.
If it is a design flaw in the air system, it's Daimler/Chrysler 's responsibility to fix it.

Quick Reply: Is a larger air filter needed??