3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rust on injector connector tube... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Rust on injector connector tube... normal?

Is this normal?

Name:  IMG_3160_zpsc1f7a36c.jpg
Views: 4671
Size:  81.2 KB

It was on every tube, almost exactly the same...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Normal only when you have been getting water in your fuel. That is not good to see, especially on the top of injector tube. Means your fuel is pretty well saturated with water. Drop the tank and clean it out really good. Clean the screen in the tank, change the filter and run some fuel conditioner like CRC in tank. do not fill up where you have been. Check the tank vents make sure you have hose on tank vents to prevent water entering the tank. The pickup screen in tank is most likely plugged up with rust and crud.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Dang it... probably the reason my injectors failed. So much for that water separator AirDog has...

And of course, I just filled my tank up.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the injector tubes submerged in fuel?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, that is strange.

Is that actual rust or just carbon build up?

How would fuel get on the outside of the fuel injector connecting tubes?
If all 6 were leaking, the truck wouldn't likely run.
If all 6 were leaking, your oil level would be over full and how would fuel get on TOP of the tubes?

Very strange.. Does your truck sit around a lot? It could be just condensation from inside the engine.
The connector tubes are coated mild steel.

Even if you hose your engine down with water to clean it, how would water get past the connector tube O-rings?

Is there rust or debris build-up on the inside of any of the connector tubes or connecting lines?

Is there rust or debris build-up on the injectors, the rocker arms, the valve springs, anything else?

I would be tossing those connecting tubes and replacing all of them even if the insides look fine.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Use some carb cleaner on it clean it up and see what it looks like. It's hard to tell what that is. I would replace all 6 cross over tubes. Your injectors are going to need to go visit DonM for a little while.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I assume that the two check valves release fuel pressure into the head and return fuel to the tank via the line in the back of the head.

Spooler, I've got a call in to Don, I'm going to call him first thing monday and send them off. We'll see what the deal is. Hopefully a good cleaning will fix them up. I'm going to clean the tips off gently later and use a microscope to see if any of them are cracked.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I assume that the two check valves release fuel pressure into the head and return fuel to the tank via the line in the back of the head.

Spooler, I've got a call in to Don, I'm going to call him first thing monday and send them off. We'll see what the deal is. Hopefully a good cleaning will fix them up. I'm going to clean the tips off gently later and use a microscope to see if any of them are cracked.

2 check valves?? You don't mean the 2 alignment bearings on the top of the connector tube do you?

It's my understanding that the fuel return passages in the head that flow out of the line at the back of the head are fuel return passages for fuel released by the injectors.
I'm sure that those fuel return passages have nothing to do with the injector connector tubes and passages.

Is there rust or debris INSIDE the connector tubes or rail connecting lines? You may want to check inside the fuel rail also.
If there is any rust or debris INSIDE any of the fuel system components, those injectors are toast. Hopefully not.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

After I posted, I looked at the manual... you're right, stealthdiesel... they are locating pins.

No nastiness inside the tubes or connector tubes. Everything looked clean on the inside.