3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Royal Purple Syncromesh in G56?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple Syncromax in G56?

I've read in a couple of posts about folks using Royal Purple Syncromax trans. fluid in the G56 6spd. I want to know how it's working out for anyone using it, instead of ATF+4. I'm looking for a little smoother shifting. As it is, it's a little slow to go through the gears. When I'm driving in the bigger cities, folks want to run into the back of me after I take off from a light. People tend to drive a bit more aggressively in the city.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM

i use it in my nv4500 and no problems. i dont know of anyone personally that uses it in a g56
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Southern Pride, guess there aren't too many that use it in the G56. Oh, by the way, I too am a proud NRA life member.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM

i have no idea of what it would do in an G56.but im not going to find out. i just stick with the atf+4.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

i have no idea of what it would do in an G56.but im not going to find out. i just stick with the atf+4
I agree with this statement, especially now that I'm out of the drivetrain warranty period. Plus I don't have any issues with how my G56 shifts in either warm or cold weather, so like they say if it ain't broke why fix it?
Just my .02.....
Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 1 qt of 80-90 syn GL5. 1 qt of Lucas syn engine oil additive. The rest atf +4. Have 300k on my G56. Very little metal on the magnet when I change oil every 75k.

Syncromesh would be fine.

NV5600 use fiber syncros. Thats why they must use syncromesh fluid.
G56 uses brass syncros. One could use whatever they want. Dodge uses atf so it shifts easy when cold.

My truck is a highway pounder so it rarely gets cold. So I run about 30% syn oil in it.

You will never hurt the g56 using oil instead of atf.

Carey
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM

I replaced my 03 manual 6speed fluid with the Royal Purple two years ago. No problems.

I do have a quick question for those manual buffs...I hear that it is good to tilt one side of the truck up so you can add about 1/2 to 1 quart more of fluid in the manuals as the factory specs are not enough to properly lubricate, is this true?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nofatum
I replaced my 03 manual 6speed fluid with the Royal Purple two years ago. No problems.

I do have a quick question for those manual buffs...I hear that it is good to tilt one side of the truck up so you can add about 1/2 to 1 quart more of fluid in the manuals as the factory specs are not enough to properly lubricate, is this true?
Yep, also can do the same by jacking up the rear of the truck really high. I do it the easy way by filling through the PTO cover top bolt hole.

MikeyB
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I get marginally better cold shifting using Amsoil's Universal ATF. In the morning mine is a bit hard to pull out of reverse. After that it's fine. SBC's supposed to have really quieted down their latest 3250 DD,so that'll be the way to go when I finish milking the stocker.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM

I would also (and do) run the ATF +4 in my G56...I can justify more frequent changes that way. It is a slow shifting transmission, but I'm OK with that because it's a truck not a race car. If people are on your rear, to heck with them, throw a trailer hitch on there. If they hit you they are gonna take the brunt of it and they will be at fault. I drive at my pace which is slow and considerate of others...screw the idiots out there.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM

+2

Originally Posted by H8GAS
I would also (and do) run the ATF +4 in my G56...I can justify more frequent changes that way. It is a slow shifting transmission, but I'm OK with that because it's a truck not a race car. If people are on your rear, to heck with them, throw a trailer hitch on there. If they hit you they are gonna take the brunt of it and they will be at fault. I drive at my pace which is slow and considerate of others...screw the idiots out there.
Here, Here!!!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
I get marginally better cold shifting using Amsoil's Universal ATF. In the morning mine is a bit hard to pull out of reverse. After that it's fine. SBC's supposed to have really quieted down their latest 3250 DD,so that'll be the way to go when I finish milking the stocker.
Hey is that 3250 DD rated/reccomended for heavy towing??????
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM

I went ahead and put the Royal Purple Syncromax in both, the trans. and transfer case. It does shift a little smoother, unless it's my imagination. I'm glad I purchased 10 quarts, because I only had about 20 ounces left after filling them both. Seems you can get quite a bit more in them, if you jack the right side up and put it on jack stands. Thanks for all of the replies!!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers
I run 1 qt of 80-90 syn GL5. 1 qt of Lucas syn engine oil additive. The rest atf +4. Have 300k on my G56. Very little metal on the magnet when I change oil every 75k.

G56 uses brass syncros. One could use whatever they want. Dodge uses atf so it shifts easy when cold.

My truck is a highway pounder so it rarely gets cold. So I run about 30% syn oil in it.

Carey

I think I will go back to ATF+4...I think there is something to frequent changes (more so than the OEM interval)...due to heat and shear.
I've tried just about everything to make mine shift nicer, but my mileage is getting up there and I think it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 AM

I have been looking at putting Amsoil Syncormesh in my 05 G56 but was wondering if the transfer case could handle it as well. What do you think?
Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers

Carey

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Syncromesh in G56?