3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Removing turbo to install egt gauge probe

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing turbo to install egt gauge probe

I'm going to be installing my 3 gauges this weekend. I was wondering how hard it is to remove the turbo. I haven't really had a chance to inspect under there. I just wanted to get some pointers from people who have done this before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM

Just leave it on and start with a small bit and work your way up. After the hole is drilled tap it and then start it up an let it run for a sec. Screw in your probe and your done.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM

it's not too difficult for a 5.9. Not near as difficult as a 6.7. Just 4 15mm bolts on the turbo (2 from the top, 2 from the bottom), the oil feed line, the oil return tube, and the exhaust. Just take care on the oil return tube. If you bend it, it is frusterating to get it to line back up. My suggestion is to re-install the turbo with the tube already in place and take EXTREME care when placing it back in the truck. That way all you have to do it lay on the ground and line it up to go back in the bottom of the block.

Hope that helps some!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Cool thanks guys. The reason I wanted to remove the turbo is just in case I got any shavings in the turbo. If it wasn't too hard I was just going to take it off for a little insurance. I have heard that you don't have to just run the truck while you are drilling.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by dropped2500
Just leave it on and start with a small bit and work your way up. After the hole is drilled tap it and then start it up an let it run for a sec. Screw in your probe and your done.
this is one way of doing it, but there is too much of a risk having metal peices go into your turbo, the way i did mine is I drilled and tapped my manifold with the truck running. all the metal shards got pushed out of the hole from the pressure of the exhaust. i also had mine on high idle (1000 RPM) to make sure the shards are pushed out. it gets hot so wear some good gloves and take breaks.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 AM

I also covered part of my exhaust so when I drilled with it running there was a great amount of pressure pushing out of the drilled hole. Food for thought...
Use several drill sizes to step up to the final. The reason is the chips will be smaller and more easily discharged out of the drilled hole. I also used grease to capture and fines. All in all it worked great with no issues.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dropped2500

Done it this way many times..no problems
Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM

I am just a little nervous about getting shavings in the turbo. Is it that hard to remove the turbo?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM

on mine i drilled with the bit dipped in gease. i kept cleaning it off prior to punching thru, then i stuck a magnet in and cleaned everything up.

on my neighbor's, we did it with the truck running. no probs either way.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM

pyro probe

I used grease on the drill bit on all i have done few dodges,fords,and chevys.Never had a problem
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Cool, that does sound easier to do anyways.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 AM

dang, you guys are all about clean room surgury techniques aren't you. Pick the tap drill for the size thread. use a short bit and put some grease on the tip to collect shavings. drill the dam hole and thread it with the tap. Screw in the probe with some never seize on the threads and call it good. You don't think there's a bunch of carbon blowing thru that thing?
It isn't rocket science. I have put in two probes and had no problems. You'll have a greater potential for problems trying to take off the turbo, than you would ever have just drilling and tapping the hole(s).
LoL
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by cdennyb
dang, you guys are all about clean room surgury techniques aren't you. Pick the tap drill for the size thread. use a short bit and put some grease on the tip to collect shavings. drill the dam hole and thread it with the tap. Screw in the probe with some never seize on the threads and call it good. You don't think there's a bunch of carbon blowing thru that thing?
It isn't rocket science. I have put in two probes and had no problems. You'll have a greater potential for problems trying to take off the turbo, than you would ever have just drilling and tapping the hole(s).
LoL
Thanks for the info. I'm only cautious because I don't want to hurt the charger. I think I will try this methode since there are a lot of people telling me to just do it on the truck.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM

i definitely wouldn't take the turbo off. i also used grease on the bit and a magnet to pick up what little shavings were left over, you won't have any problems
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i greased my drill bit and let the truck idle any metal shavings that were not on the greased bit blew out. did this over two years ago! a lot faster any easier than taking the turbo off!

Quick Reply: Removing turbo to install egt gauge probe