Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Removing 04.5 lift pump-need adapter for filter housing...where to buy? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/removing-04-5-lift-pump-need-adapter-filter-housing-where-buy-184933/)

Tiara3100 12-31-2007 09:16 AM

Removing 04.5 lift pump-need adapter for filter housing...where to buy?

I decided that I am going to remove the stock lift pump and install an after market setup. I plan on designing the set up myself, using various parts that I have access too (read-FREE). The first thing I need to buy is an adapter for the stock fuel filter. This would be an adapter that allows me to connect a NPT fitting directly to the stock filter housing. I have seen them in kits, but I can not find any one who sells them outright. Anybody know where I can get one?

No, I do not want to buy a kit. Yes, I know it might be easier. Yes,I know your _________ (Insert manufactures name) fuel system works great. Thank you for the advice, however, I still prefer to design and build my own...[duhhh]

gmctd 12-31-2007 10:02 AM

R drill bit and 1/8"npt tap

7/16" drill bit and 1/4"npt tap

37/64" drill bit and 3/8"npt tap

eastmentCTD600 12-31-2007 10:02 AM

What type of connection is on the fuel canister?

CTD NUT 12-31-2007 10:17 AM

It is a metric thread that will accept a banjo bolt fitting. Read unobtainable as far as adaptors go. The adaptor fittings in the aftermarket kits are custom machined so as to eliminate any banjo bolts and use conventional JIC fittings. gmctd is suggesting that the filter housing be retapped for a convetional pipe thread so as to allow a conventional NPT adaptor to be used.

shortbed rv 12-31-2007 12:56 PM

good news :Vulcan and Glacier both have pump adapters
Bad news (LIKE CTD) said they are JIC fitting. You have two choices. Find a jic to npt adapter or use a barbed fitting and hose.

ratlratl 12-31-2007 02:57 PM

Best I remember, you could get the pieces from Dodge that would do what you want. It won't be npt like you want but it will be direct fit. The adapter is part #5175561 AA, connector pipe (banjo to quick connect in place of pump) is part #5175560 AA, and the intermediate hose is part #5179243 AA. It is a banjo style just like o.e. The hose quick connects onto that and then back to the original line.

Chris

Tiara3100 12-31-2007 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found what I need....http://www.bd-power.com/[roll]
Ordered the fitting and the wiring harness....

Fitting Part # 1502028
O-ring Part # 1502029
Wiring Harness Part # 1502027

You have to order direct from them on the phone, you can not order these parts through thier web site.

rjm022 12-31-2007 03:44 PM

i removed my 3rd gen fuel filter housing and replaced it with a new 2nd gen fuel filter housing-because the 2nd fuel housings have a female thread on them for a fitting!! i had leaks with the fass adapter plate, this is why i did this. i had to fab a bracket in order to mount the 2nd fuel filter housing-but it was well worth it!

shortbed rv 12-31-2007 03:47 PM

Tiara can you pm me the price on those parts, thanks

Tiara3100 12-31-2007 05:07 PM

I'm not on my home computer right now, but I believe the adapter was about $18 and the O-ring was less then a dollar. The wiring harness was under $10. I will check when I get home, but I believe it was less then $30 for everything.

vzdude 12-31-2007 05:21 PM

Fow what it is worth, I have the kit from BD with the 2 parts you ordered. I ended up with a Walbro pump due to low pressure, yada yada yada, but anyhow, I would use the wiring harness from BD only to trigger a relay for the new pump of your choice. Not hard to do, and a lot more reliable. I should have gone with GDP's kit in the first place, yada yada yada, his wiring harness has a relay built it.

Tiara3100 12-31-2007 06:09 PM

Did you use the relay due to the higher amprage draw of the walbro pump? At this point in time I plan on replacing the stock pump with a pump of about the same capacity and pressure (No Fuel Mods yet). I should be OK with the wiring harness for now, but, if I go to a larger pump, I will add a relay and a seperate heavier circuit.

shortbed rv 01-01-2008 11:06 AM

Thanks Tiara,

I like that adapter better than the ones I have seen. It already has the barbed elbow. I search bd site but can not find the listed parts. Where on bd site did you find that picture? I need a couple of more fittings, is why I am asking.

Keep us informed of how the install goes. I can get a swagelok regulator if anyone needs one.

Tiara3100 01-01-2008 02:23 PM

The hose barb in the picture is not included with the adapter. It is nothing more then a 90degree elbow with 3/8NPT threads on one side and a hose barb on the other. You can get that anywhere.....

I plan on installing a 90deg. elbow in the adapter with a flare conection on the other end. I will be using all flared connections on my setup, as I am not a fan of hose clamps. They just look like a cheesy way of doing things....[duhhh]

I got the pictures of the parts and thier part numbers from the installation manual for the lift pump replacement kit they sell. Try this link:
http://www.bd-power.com/pdf/manuals/...ift%20Pump.pdf