3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

RAM 4x4 system truly disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO I don't ever look at the dates. It is a little old. He probably sold the truck by now.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM

I'm not certain how the electronic transfer case in a Dodge actually engages 4 wheel drive, but in a Chevy they use or used to use in the mid to late 90's a little cylinder filled with a gas that had a heating element in it. When you put it in 4 wheel drive, the heating element warmed the gas which expanded and overcame the spring pressure normally holding the unit in 2 wheel drive, pushed the mechanical locking elements together, engaging 4 wheel drive.

Worked fine until you drove through a creek or puddle or something that was deep enough and cold enough to cool the cylinder, contract the gas and let the 4x4 disengage, leaving you stranded. Or, you could be in 4 wheel drive, set the brake, park on a slope and shut the engine off. The element would turn off with the switch, the gas would cool, 4 wheel drive would disengage and with the parking brake only working on the two rear wheels the rig would then just start sliding down the hill.

Wonderful system until you started using it. It could be Chrysler employs something similar which would explain why in deep snow, the front wheels would disengage and when the service people had it on their lift in the nice warm shop, everything worked like it should. I know the Chevies had upgraded units with bigger heating elements installed that helped with their problems, but never did cure them completely.

I like manual transfer cases myself, and also prefer manual locking hubs if I had a choice. Put them together, lock it all together before you venture into the deep stuff and it works. I will echo the statements by other posters that the OP's tires were less than optimum and that a dually is a POS off road compared to a SRW.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the dodge just uses an electronic solenoid to dirrectly engage 4 wheel drive. did this truck have a limmited slip or open diff? no one ever asked. my 06 dually will actually chirp the inside rear tire in a hard u turn because the rear end is so tight and in sand or mud it will always spin both rear tires, never just 1 at a time. also, there is no possible way that if this truck was truly in 4 wheel drive it could spin a rear tire without at least 1 front spinning. dont care what the dealership said. there has to me a problem there is no clutch or differential in a tranfercase. if the rear output shaft turns so does the front one. am I right?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
super,

You're right. If it's in 4wd and the rears are turning, at least one of the fronts is turning. Gotta be.

To take a dually out in deep snow, on a hill, with street tires, and not locked into 4wd, and then say the system "disappoints" because he got stuck is a bit much.

Besides, these Dodges were never meant to be extreme four wheelers. They are heavy work trucks with a simple 4WD system that is good for normal part time use. With very agressive tires they will do quite a bit, but they have limited articulation, mild LS differentials only in the rear and a lot of weight. And a dually has an added disadvantage.

John
Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 PM

At least you got your truck!!!

I have Cooper Discoverer STT on my SRW 1ton and they made a HUGE difference even without the 4x4 engaged. I was surprised. Of course now we have a blizzard coming in and already have 12" on the ground and I have a rental Ford Edge

Sadder yet, the truck is sitting at the dealer with my new axle "from the wreck" ready to go, but I cant have it because the insurance guy was afraid of the snow and wouldn't drive out this morning to pay for it. So I am stuck with the 2wd Ford SUV with a Blizzard coming in. Could be worse!!!

By the way, First chance I get I am welding the axle tube to the diff housing because in the wreck, the (2) factory rivets broke and the axle tube spun in the housing. They are riveted together, can you believe that crap!!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM

I've got the same tires, and you're right about the difference they made.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i pulled my 9800lb hino outa 6" of mud a couple of years ago with very little effort...i was impressed...been in plenty of 10-12" snow storms and never ever had a problem..give me 12" of snow and some bald tires and it'll still drive right through it....