Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   question for all 48re that will reply need help! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/question-all-48re-will-reply-need-help-27422/)

Sittenbull2 05-26-2003 04:00 PM

question for all 48re that will reply need help!

My tranny in the A.M. seems to be slow about going into drive or reverse. Have to give more pedal and pump it while its running to go into gear. After it is warm shifts fine and that is either in reverse or forward, anybody else tranny do the same 6500 miles on it and still maybe 15mpg. Thanks<br><br><br> Mitch

KenR 05-26-2003 04:20 PM

Re:question for all 48re that will reply need help!

Have not experienced that problem. The only problem that I have experienced with the 48RE is jerky shifting only when towing my 9800lbs. Other than that it has been perfect for all of it's 5600 miles.<br><br>Keep us advised.

Lightman 05-26-2003 10:33 PM

Guys in your experience with autos and HD diesel trucks, are the shifts usually rough or choppy when towing larger loads, like the above post mentions, or is this a 48RE specific gripe? Thanks.

dealseeker 05-26-2003 11:14 PM

Once in a while I will think that I have put it into reverse but it's actually between gears, but then it slips right in when I move it N-R. As for the AM thing, at -30 C my truck slips into gear no problem...a lot easier than I do at that temperature [laugh].

KenR 05-27-2003 08:09 AM

[quote author=Lightman link=board=20;threadid=15152;start=0#142358 date=1054006424]<br>Guys in your experience with autos and HD diesel trucks, are the shifts usually rough or choppy when towing larger loads, like the above post mentions, or is this a 48RE specific gripe? Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>My jerky shifting experience only occurs when I am towing. Non-towing shifts are quick and smooth. I do not feel anything is wrong; just the way it operates. I would not give my truck back nor would I change to the manual. I like my truck. Best truck I have ever owned.

Sittenbull2 05-27-2003 08:35 AM

;D No doubt about it this is the best truck I've owned. I was just asking about if any of the owners out there ever experienced this kind of behavior out of there trans. in the morning. When I got mine (truck) I just don't remember it acting like that. Thats all, I wouldn't trade mine for anything except maybe a white one 8). Going to make appointment for the truck I will let yall know what the S.M. @ the dealer says.

Chester 05-28-2003 07:49 PM

Got my new 03 a couple of weeks ago. It has the 48RE. It shifts like butter without the trailer but is more positive when the trailer is on. Trailer is around 10,000lbs. The most noticeable jerk with the trailer is when the torque converter locks on in 4th gear. RPM drops about 400 when this happens. I had a 99 RAM 2500 with the CD and 47RE. This new 48RE is light years ahead of the old one with the trailer on. My last RAM ..01 CDHO with 6sp was great and I was cautious going back to the auto but now I'm glad I did.<br><br>The jerky start and reluctance to shift in the morning is probably due to the torque converter . It will drain somewhat overnight and won't work right until it and the fluid is warmed up. Nothing is wrong...just the way it is. Haven't noticed much of this yet on mine but it hasn't been very cold since I got my truck. Check out the owners manual..it will tell you about this.<br><br>Good luck!!!!

Zeedaddy 05-28-2003 09:13 PM

No problems here.....just a more pronounced delay when you let up off the throttle (too intentionally shift into a higher gear)

pwabbott 05-30-2003 11:16 PM

Sittenbull2, you could have a leaky check valve in cooler line. This would allow the T-Converter to drain down some overnight. On startup tranny pump must then fill the converter before this fluid clutch will put power to the wheels.