Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Problem with New Trans and fluid (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/problem-new-trans-fluid-205633/)

blwnsmke 05-23-2008 04:28 PM

So besides mopar atf+4 what should I run? Have talked to many of guys that run it in built trans and no problems.. They just changed it like every 18k

Megaramasaur 05-23-2008 04:32 PM

Call your Tranny builder and ask them. I did and I run what Dave told me to run and what he runs. Simple

blwnsmke 05-23-2008 04:51 PM

What type of clutchs does dave put in his transmissions? What type of fluid did he tell you to run?

dozer12216 05-23-2008 09:24 PM

I didn't read any particular advantage to using high priced atf over common garden stuff from wally world. I gets down to non scientific evulation for the individual. "I pay more, so it must be better", expecially when ones buys the advertising of so called advantages. I dare say you will not be able to subjectivelly find any performance difference from quality products. The "I see". mine never caused problem, un scientific evulation and comparsion carry no weight with me. I do recall GM dealers buying cases of Chrysler ATF to get their customers satsified with shift and lockup quality.

Sinbadd 05-24-2008 06:54 AM

Mine took 21 quarts with the dd pan. Is it possible to get the filter on turned 180* so that the dipstic is hitting the top of the filter? I don't remember if it is possible but the filter is held on by 2 screws so it might be.

blwnsmke 05-24-2008 02:04 PM

Im not sure what the stick is hitting cause I didn't build the trans. I know its hitting something though. I bent the end of my stick a little and it slid in. I filled the trans up a little more just to be on that safe side and nothing came out the vent. Im gonna yank the pan when I do the first service and band adjustment check

Sinbadd 05-24-2008 07:32 PM

Just don't over fill it that can be bad for the trans also. With the deep pan your pick up should be a couple of inches deeper into the ATF so your fluid level would have to be a ways below the low or add line before it would be a problem.

Reb.B 05-24-2008 07:50 PM

Fill do your finall check with the trans in drive. 24 quts in trans and T-case especially with DD pan is normal. Overfilling will not ruin a trans, it will just puke out the vent on top of the pump. Make sure the fluid reaches the very top of the fill line, and use valvoline ATF +4 because its the cheapest, best full synthetic. The reason you want a synthetic is because it has a higher boiling degree and won't expand as much as other oils.

Sinbadd 05-24-2008 08:16 PM

I may be wrong I am just conveying what I have been told and learned.

"Overfilling an automatic is bad. Remove the extra oil before you have problems. Don't wait for symptoms to appear. Once they do, the transmission can be toasted. Too much oil can cause foaming, and once it foams it loses it's lubricating properties, plus the volume greatly expands. That just creates more foam, and once you have enough, it will come out the vent, and usually the dipstick"

Megaramasaur 05-24-2008 11:17 PM

Dave told me to use Mercon/Dextron III with a bottle of Lubeguard. He said there is nothing wrong with using ATF +4, BUT there is no need for it. He said use the Dextron III + lubguard and change every 15K

Reb.B 05-25-2008 03:06 PM

Dave and I have went back and forth on this. LubeGuard is good, and it does change the oil. It does have more friction modifiers when you use the Lubeguard, but the Dextron III expands too much and I've personnally seen two trucks burn down to the ground when the oil burped onto the exhaust manifold. ATF +4 expands less and boils less, and that is good when pulling heavy. If its just a daily driver, then it really doesn't matter. I just tell what I have seen.

Spooler 05-25-2008 10:06 PM

Mopar ATF 4+ for me and I do a fluid exchange every 20-30,000 miles. No problems at all and tranny looked great when installing new parts.

DBLR 05-26-2008 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dozer12216 (Post 2092923)
I didn't read any particular advantage to using high priced atf over common garden stuff from wally world. I gets down to non scientific evulation for the individual. "I pay more, so it must be better", expecially when ones buys the advertising of so called advantages. I dare say you will not be able to subjectivelly find any performance difference from quality products. The "I see". mine never caused problem, un scientific evulation and comparsion carry no weight with me. I do recall GM dealers buying cases of Chrysler ATF to get their customers satsified with shift and lockup quality.

Synthetic ATF can an will hold up a lot longer to higher temps then standard ATF before it starts to break down. That alone can and save you a costly repair bill if your towing and your trans starts to heat up on you.

JMHO