3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2149 code, truck barely runs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2149 code, truck barely runs

I posted this on the help forum but only got one reply so I thought I'd try here also:

Yesterday on my '05 I noticed the check engine light was on while driving down the highway. I'm not sure when it came on but I noticed it a few minutes after fueling and then pulling back onto the highway. Truck was running fine though and I drove it another 30 miles or so to work.

I checked the code and it says "fuel injection group 2 supply voltage circuit". When I got off work I started the truck and it ran fine with the check engine light still on for about a block then it started running very rough and I couldn't accelerate. I limped it back to the parking lot at work.

I searched on threads containing P2149 and think it may be a short somewhere but I don't really know where to look. I disconnected and reconnected two of the connectors that look like they go to the injectors but it didn't help. The truck will start but it will barely idle.

Any ideas?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Could be the injector wiring harness that runs through the valve cover gasket. Not much you can do except replace the gasket.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 AM

My company truck (07) pulled the same code. Ordered new gasket/harness and the mechanics will install this week. Hope it does the trick.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by pwknapp
My company truck (07) pulled the same code. Ordered new gasket/harness and the mechanics will install this week. Hope it does the trick.
do you have the part # handy for the harness? The guy at cummins rm didn't sound too sure about it. Also, is the valve cover gasket reuseable?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Chapter President

I got the same code the other day. same symptoms, running rough , no power. I disconnected both wiring harnesses going thru the valve cover and then disconnected the neg cables to both batts. Let it sit for 20 mins and reconected everything. No cel and no codes and truck has been running great for the last 2 weeks. well see what is up. I will be watching this thread closely as maybe that was only a temp fix for me.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by EQUIPPRO
I got the same code the other day. same symptoms, running rough , no power. I disconnected both wiring harnesses going thru the valve cover and then disconnected the neg cables to both batts. Let it sit for 20 mins and reconected everything. No cel and no codes and truck has been running great for the last 2 weeks. well see what is up. I will be watching this thread closely as maybe that was only a temp fix for me.
I'll probably try this tomorrow to see if it works for me. I'm curious though, aren't there 3 connectors going into the valve cover?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM

Well, no luck with the simple fix - I disconnected the batteries for about an hour and reseated the 3 connectors going into the valve cover. I also put a little di-electric grease on them. The truck starts pretty normally but after a split second of normal idle it starts to stumble and run rough.

I'm still trying to find information on these wiring harnesses. I called a dealer and the parts guy said there are 3 seperate harnesses. This would make sense since there are 3 connectors. Can anyone confirm this and does anyone have a part #? The difference in price between cummins rocky mountain and the dealer is over $100 which doesn't surprise me but I want to make sure I'm being quoted for the right part.

One of the previous posts made it sound like the valve cover gasket and harness are the same part. If they are seperate can I reuse the gasket?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM

I'll see if I can find the bill, but I can't remember if it had part numbers for the warranty parts. When it happened to me, the dealer replaced #6 injector due to a failed harness. They had all the parts, except for this valve cover gasket (no one in Alberta stocked it!). I wanted my truck back, so I said they could just use RTV or something, and they said that they couldn't because the harness is molded into the gasket. Those two plugs on the LH side of the valve cover, by the two breather tubes, are integral to the valve cover gasket. They ended up borrowing a gasket that had been bought for another job at another dealer, and re-ordering one from Tennessee I think. I would have thought that a gasket would be more readily available.

If I can find a part number, I will post, but I gotta find the paperwork first...
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Well, I got the time to pull the valve cover today. Checked the injectors with an ohm meter and #6 is bad. It showed 58 ohms and 4 and 5 were both .5 ohms.

Anybody like to recommend a good place to take it to have the injector replaced?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Remnik
Well, I got the time to pull the valve cover today. Checked the injectors with an ohm meter and #6 is bad. It showed 58 ohms and 4 and 5 were both .5 ohms.
Have always wondered how the ohm meter(electiric device) can tell if the inecjector(mechanical device) is bad?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 05 Ram 3500 SRW
Have always wondered how the ohm meter(electiric device) can tell if the inecjector(mechanical device) is bad?
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me could shed more light on it but the way I understand it the injectors are electronic on the common rail motors. At least they are electronically controlled, and if the electronic portion of the injector is bad then the mechanical part can't fire. At least this is the way it works in my head but what do I know?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Chapter President

I have the same problem as you, although my symptons have gone away with the reset as I described above. I called Lloyd Mills and he is trying to come up with a fix for this. Call him at Mid Atlantic Diesel, he has some great info on what to do concerning injectors.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
here are a few ideas.

1. Vehicle Issue No Power Mil On. Codes P0192, P0202, P0340, p0341, P0336, P0652, P2266, P2146, P2149, Are Setting. Monitor The 5 Volt Sensor Feed And Map Sensor Operation.;The engine runs good until it reaches operating temperature. The ECM is setting codes P0192, P0202, P0340, p0341, P0336, P0652, P2266, P2146, P2149 and has no power when it reaches operating temperature. Actual fuel rail pressure may not meet fuel rail set point pressure. Fuel volume and quality are ok. The fuel limiting valve, fuel injection pump fuel return, injector fuel return check ok. Multiple fault codes related too, Water-in-fuel / APPS and Idle Validation / Fuel Rail Pressure / MAP sensor / CMP (camshaft) sensor / CKP (crankshaft) sensor have set a one time. Examples of codes that may set. P0341: CAMSHAFT POSITION (CMP) SENSOR SIGNAL. P0251: CP3 PUMP REGULATOR CONTROL. P0237: MAP SENSOR VOLTS TOO LOW. P0193: FUEL PRESS SENSOR VOLTS TOO HIGH. P2269: WATER IN FUEL. P2266: WATER IN FUEL (WIF) SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW. P2127: LOW VOLTS AT THE THROTTLE VALIDATION SWITCH. P2121: APP VOLTS DO NOT AGREE WITH IDLE VALIDATION SIGNAL. All the above sensors have a common five-volt supply circuit. If any one has a short, it could cause codes to set for the other sensors.

System or Component
Lack of Power / Sluggish,Loses Power;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light,Manifold Absolute Sensor (MAP);Normal Operating Temperature;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously;Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP)

Recommendation Monitor the engine sensor five volt supply while unplugging one sensor at a time. When the five volt supply returns to normal replace the last sensor that was unplugged. It may help to monitor sensor values on the DRBIII® while the engine is acting up. Start by unplugging sensors that have unrealistic values.

2. Vehicle Issue MIL and the engine runs rough. P2146 or P2149 are logged.;No wiring problems such as a chafed or shorted wire are found per P2146 / P2149 diagnostics. The diagnostic procedures lead to replacing the Cummins® ECM.

System or Component Engine Misfire,Rough / Unstable / Erratic Idle,Lack of Power / Sluggish;DTC / Error Message;Yes - Continuously

Recommendation One at a time, disconnect both wires from each injector and insulate the terminal ends so the circuit will not short to ground on the effected bank (1-3 for P2146 or 4-6 for P2149). Clear the codes and start the engine, check if the same code resets. If an injector is disconnected and the code does not reset, replace that injector

3.Vehicle Issue Engine Is Noisy And Misfires. Code P2149 Is Setting. Inspect Injector Driver Wiring And Injector Operation.;Code p2149 is setting. No other codes set. Fuel volume and fuel quality is ok. For test procedures refer to the 2003 Powertrain Diagnostic Manual Page 260.

System or Component Engine Misfire,Rough / Unstable / Erratic Idle,Spark Knock / Detonation,Clatter,Knock,Ping,Rattle;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light,Injectors;Engine Compartment;During Warm Up,Normal Operating Temperature;Yes - Continuously

Recommendation
Refer to the Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual and perform the diagnostics for code P2149. Load test the injector wire harness by using a test light as a load. Unplug the injector harness at the ECM and unplug all injectors. Clamp a test light to battery positive. Probe each injector high side driver at the ECM connector. If the test light illuminates repair the shorted high side driver injector wire. Probe each injector low side driver at the ECM connector. If the test light illuminates repair the shorted low side injector driver wire. Probe each high and low side injector driver wire at the six injector connectors. If the test light illuminates repair the shorted high or low side injector driver wire. Pick an injector high side driver wire. Ground one end of the high side injector driver wire at the ECM connector. Probe the other end of the injector high side driver at the injector connector. The test light should light bright. If it does not light or illuminates dim repair the damaged high side driver wire. There are two high side driver wires at the ECM connector. Each high side driver feeds three injectors. One high side driver feeds the injectors at cylinders 1, 2,and 3. The other high side driver feeds the injectors at cylinders 4, 5, and 6. Repeat the above steps to test the second injector high side driver wire. There are six injector low side drivers that must be tested. Pick a injector low side drive wire and ground one end (ECM connector side or Injector connector side). Probe the ungrounded end of the injector low side driver with your test light. The test light should light bright. If it does not light or illuminates dim repair the damaged high side driver wire. Repeat these steps for the five other injector
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 AM

cbrahs - thanks for the info. I hope I did the right thing when I tested the injectors. I didn't insulate the terminal ends when I measured the resistance. Still, I got a good reading on 2 injectors and a very high reading for #6. I already ordered the injector so I hope it solves my problem. I will ask the shop about performing diagnostics on the wiring and ecm.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Update

Well, the truck would barely start last Friday when I was getting set to take it to the shop. It died after a couple seconds the first time and then cranked quite a bit before starting again. It ran really rough, the whole truck was shaking. It was idling at about 500 rpm, I didn't think I would even be able to drive it to the shop.

After a couple minutes it would smooth out for a split second and then go back to running bad. Another minute or two and it started idling at about 600 rpm and was a little smoother but not normal. Another minute or so and it smoothed out and went to high idle at about 1000 rpm.

I let it idle about 5 more minutes and it went to a normal idle. I took off and it ran normally on the drive to the shop. Since it was running normally I told the mechanic to just check everything out before replacing the injector.

He pulled 2 codes that were not visible to me. One was for the #6 injector and one was for the crankshaft position sensor. He cleared the codes and cleaned the crankshaft position sensor. He also cleaned the 3 connectors that lead to the injector wiring harnesses. Since they already had the valve cover off, I had them adjust the valves.

So now the truck is running fine but I'm confused as to why. Can an injector test bad with an ohm meter and still be good? I have a pretty bad oil leak on the front of the engine, could oil be getting on the crankshaft pos. sensor?

I'm a little on edge driving it now and I'm waiting for it to leave me stranded again.

Quick Reply: P2149 code, truck barely runs