3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2149 code, truck barely runs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced the valve cover gasket and truck is now running fine. The wiring harness is molded to the gasket. Got it fron the local dealer for about $114. Had already went through the injector issue and replaced #3 earlier. Yes we ohmed them all.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM

im bumping this one up. my truck is acting as described by many of the previous threads. i had a mechanic replace 3 injectors (4,5,6) and no change. i also replaced the valve cover gasket and it ran fine for about a mile befor the code popped back up and then it went back to running like crap. any help is needed. i am running out of ideas.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by horse51
im bumping this one up. my truck is acting as described by many of the previous threads. i had a mechanic replace 3 injectors (4,5,6) and no change. i also replaced the valve cover gasket and it ran fine for about a mile befor the code popped back up and then it went back to running like crap. any help is needed. i am running out of ideas.
So did you ever get this figured out? I have an 07 in my shop and ordered the Valve Cover gasket/Injector harness. Will be here monday, but not sure this is going to fix it. I had this happen before on an 08 dodge but after ringing out all of the harness like 4 times, I gave up and just bought an injector harness and problem went away. Hoping this works again.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM

my 03 did the same thing. ended up replacing ECM at the dealer.. problem gone.....
Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soooo, I went back and checked resistance on the injectors today. Found #4 was 1.5 ohms. So I decided to swap number 4 with number 3 and see if the code went to group A. And yes it did. So I now know it was the number 4 injector that is the problem. ")
Old 07-23-2017, 03:10 PM

I've recently had this issue with my 05 3500 dually

Solution to P2149: remove valve cover and unhook all injectors taking note of wire placement (yellow orange brown red front to rear) for mine which is not integrated into the valve cover gasket. Test each injector resistance with ohm meter they say .5 or less but for rule of thumb as long as it's under 1 ohm. Check wires for fraying inside and out of the motor. And check the plug connections they deteriorate and allow oil to short out the connection. Next you can try unhooking both battery terminals from both batteries and zip tie the positives to the negatives for about 20 min if that doesn't zero out the ecm then find someone with a scan tool programmer that can clear the ecm before replacing the ecm.

I bought my truck icky at the beginning of the year bone stock and neglected. First time I had this issue I changed the turbo out for one that didn't have a wastegate and replaced 5 of the six injectors. Found two of the injector plugs were frayed so I taped them up since I was in a hurry to get back on the road. Worked great for a few months then the same loss of power and P2149. I ordered an injector and the tree wiring harnesses as well as three plugs. Installed the parts, cranked it up same issues. I took an ohm meter to the injectors all tested good except the one I pulled out and replaced. Luckily I have a $6k snap on scan tool (up to this point had been using a regular scan tool to clear codes) hooked up the snap on cleared the Ecm and started the truck to get a look at voltages of the sensors. The truck ran like a top after clearing the ecm codes with the snap on luckily because my next move would have been to send the ecm off to be repaired and flashed for another $330 or replace it for $800. Thought I'd share the fix since most don't get on here after they've solved the problem.

Originally Posted by Remnik
I posted this on the help forum but only got one reply so I thought I'd try here also:

Yesterday on my '05 I noticed the check engine light was on while driving down the highway. I'm not sure when it came on but I noticed it a few minutes after fueling and then pulling back onto the highway. Truck was running fine though and I drove it another 30 miles or so to work.

I checked the code and it says "fuel injection group 2 supply voltage circuit". When I got off work I started the truck and it ran fine with the check engine light still on for about a block then it started running very rough and I couldn't accelerate. I limped it back to the parking lot at work.

I searched on threads containing P2149 and think it may be a short somewhere but I don't really know where to look. I disconnected and reconnected two of the connectors that look like they go to the injectors but it didn't help. The truck will start but it will barely idle.

Any ideas?