3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Symptom: Diesel in Crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Symptom: Diesel in Crankcase

Symptom: Diesel in Crankcase

I have never touched a diesel engine before, but I am reasonably competent behind the right tools. I am hoping someone can help me in figuring out if am approaching my problem correctly.

I just bought a 2003 5.9 HO 6sp that has (Developed?) an issue. When purchased the oil was at the correct level and reasonably clean not fresh. Upon changing the oil yesterday, I came to need more then 3 gallons of containers for my used oil (By about 3 Quarts!). Smelling like diesel I double checked the level letting it run for only 45 seconds and parked it.

I browsed you tube and a few post, I ordered a injector leak kit (the cheapest start) From what I can understand, this will only show if fuel is leaking into the top of the head and of course mixing with oil at this point. I would also more then likely purchase some dye and put it into the fuel filter to help identify any other topside leak. I have read about two other possibilities.

2) Stuck injector
3) Injection pump leaking at the front of the pump into what must be the front case cover??..

Without guidance I guess I would pull the injection pump inspect it and verify a bad seal or not and regardless replace any seals and reinstall. Open stuck or leaking injectors resulting in fuel dumping into the cylinder has me stumped as how to verify.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Most likely an injector issue. I would not drive it as a rather small amount of fuel in the oil is enough to cause serious damage.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisnva (02-01-2018)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Most likely an injector issue. I would not drive it as a rather small amount of fuel in the oil is enough to cause serious damage.
After I finished the oil change, I parked it only plan on running it if I have to for diagnostic till a solution to the problem is found..
Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Cracked injector only way I've found to locate other then pulling all 6 injectors and testing.
Remove valve cover and start engine, leaking injector will have fine mist shooting out from bad injector. Keep you hands clear since this spray is coming out at high pressure.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:35 AM

Update/Question

So I have pulled the valve cover off first just to look for the obvious. Nothing came screaming out at me. I then noted that when the ignition is on in the run position there is a ticking noise coming from the valve-train. After grabbing my high-tech listen device, (2" PVC) it is the #1 cylinder injector. Since I can not here what injectors sound like when they are firing, I will have to assume that is what it is doing? Can I verify that this is an injector issue and rule out that something it telling it to fire with a digital meter?

Appreciating any guidance
Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Unhooked wiring from Inj 1&2. Ticking not from injectors. Changed fuel filter and added dye to system. 30-45 seconds and both the head was glowing evenly as well as the dipstick. Being such as aggressive leak, is the Injector pump more or a suspect? I have also read a lift pump can do this but I don't know if it applies to 3rd gens or not. I am trying hard not to just throw 1000 dollar parts at this as I am married and don't have plans to change this on a wrong "Guess"
Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Need to pull the injectors and have them tested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lary Ellis (Top):
Chrisnva (01-09-2018), NJTman (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ECM will not attempt to fire injectors until fuel rail pressure is several thousand psi, so that isn’t likely the sound.

Most likely it is an injector.

Have you started the engine with valve cover off? Eye protection, and pressure is high enough there is risk of unseen spray injecting fuel through the skin...so keep all parts of your body well clear (use a spat of wood or cardboard).

Diesel injected into flesh is serious and as I understand it could result in amputation if not treated immediately.

Might be good to find someone experienced in your area.

Otherwise like Top said, send all the injectors in for testing.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisnva (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I did run it with dye in the fuel system for 30-45 seconds with the valve cover off. No spray, but a nice even glow from the uv dye presented itself throughout the valve train as well as showing up in the pan. With that much of an aggressive showing in so little time, I am hoping I caught it before serious damage resulted.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 PM

I’d guess (non-expert) that the engine is ok internally. You run into stories about folks who noted fuel gauge dropping abnormally fast, and the underside of the truck coated with a mixture of motor oil and fuel- who ended up with new injectors and continued on. Not that I’d want to run a motor known to have a fuel diluted oil, from what I’ve read they seem to tolerate it better than you’d guess.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that problem a couple of years ago in my 2004.5 and it was a bad injector pump seal.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Interesting. When you pulled the pump was there a cleaned area or other visual sign of fuel?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Interesting. When you pulled the pump was there a cleaned area or other visual sign of fuel?
If this is directed to me......the problem was diagnosed by the shop I took it to after they checked the injectors. I was made aware of the problem by a motorist who was passing me and saw fuel & oil coating the back of my truck & trailer. I never felt or saw anything wrong till then.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:23 AM

Update.. I'm took the least offensive step and pulled the injectors. The previous owner indicated that the injectors were replace about 10-20 k ago. I think he was "mistaken"? At any rate, all O-ring seals seem to be in good shape.. The feed tubes all look new along with one of the injectors with far less build up on the nozzle (I am thinking one was replaced and not the set).. I am packing them up and sending them off to be tested. I found a place called Taylor Diesel Group. I called and got a 5 minute education about the industries definitions of re-manufactured vs rebuilt. They do all work on site. Any feedback on them would be appreciated. Injectors will be shipped of next week, I will update progress and experience,