Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Overheating and Air Con loss at idle (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/overheating-air-con-loss-idle-319191/)

Brookster 09-06-2014 10:20 PM

Overheating and Air Con loss at idle

1 Attachment(s)
Well my 2004 2500 4x4 off road 5.9 has some issues. I first noticed that my AC would quit cooling at idle and now it has started overheating as well. The water pump was replaced at 89K and I don't have any overheating issues or AC cooling issues at speed.

I am thinking I have a fan clutch issue but can't seem to find any good direction on how to troubleshoot the fan clutch. When the engine is cool and the engine is off the fan does have a small amount of tension when rotated and feels solid, no warble or grinding. Any help this issue or direction to a thread that I may have missed in my search is appreciated. Picture reference of the fan clutch on my truck! Attachment 51773

TxDiesel007 09-07-2014 04:00 PM

several ways to check fan clutch

number one.. if you turn on the AC on full blast as soon as you turn on a cold truck, the FC should kick in within 30 seconds or so.. and you will hear it roar trust me..

number two, do you have any DTC present? especially P0480 or P0483? if so you have fan clutch issues..

number three... how is the wiring that runs to the fan clutch unit itself? if you look down there, you will see a pigtail that runs to the electric fan clutch.. any of the wires frayed or bare on it? if so that may be an issue

number four, look under by the AC compressor... there are some wires there that rub up against the frame.. particularly an orange one, I f that is rubbed through.. then that may be an issue..

number five... how are the ground connections? everything ok?

number six... if I remember correctly.. there are some pin diagrams online in regards to the FC connection, and grounding pin number one should make the fan clutch come on if it is working properly..

number seven.. if you can stop your fan clutch with your hand (yes it is possible because it is spinning that slow) it is not engaging... In connection Code P0483 fan speed code is set off when the fan is below a certain threshold (450 rpms or less) and I don't remember the upper one...

these are all random thoughts on diagnostic.. but I hope I can at least get you going on yours...

Brookster 09-07-2014 09:20 PM

Thank you for responding, I will work through these when I get back in town.

PS: Had my wife go out and check for codes, P0480!

Brookster 09-29-2014 09:22 PM

Replace the Fan Clutch, cleared code all is good...

TxDiesel007 09-30-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brookster (Post 3253021)
Replace the Fan Clutch, cleared code all is good...

been in your shoes before my friend..

glad that we could help.. ( I don't say me, because what I learned, I learned from other great members on here as well)..

thank you for your time