3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front end fix/balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end fix/balljoints

I know the balljoints in my 06 2500 4x4are wearing out after 160k. Is it better to replace the whole arm with bushings and balljoints or just replace the balljoints?

Also, at 160k, what else should I think of replacing while down there? I just replaced both hub assembly.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM

If you can afford it, then i'd say do it, then its all done! There is also an upgrade to the tie-rods and linkages('08/'09 steering upgrade), they are huge compared to the stock ones and you'll also have to change your steering dampener.
Good luck!
Cheers!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad
If you can afford it, then i'd say do it, then its all done! There is also an upgrade to the tie-rods and linkages('08/'09 steering upgrade), they are huge compared to the stock ones and you'll also have to change your steering dampener.
Good luck!
Cheers!
Should just be the one control arm which has a balljoint and two busings.

Is it worth the time/money to upgrade to the 08/09 steering upgrade?

So far this truck been great (knock on wood )
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

On the 4wd versions there are 4 control arms with eccentric bushings...unless they are shot I wouldn't mess with them as they rarely wear out. Each knuckle has an upper and lower ball joint (4 total) and they are junk from the factory. You can spend anywhere from a couple hundred bucks for XRF's all the way up to a grand or more for Carli's and such. Depends on just how much cash you have laying around. You will hear pro's/con's about all the different products. As for the steering upgrade.....it helped me out quite a bit as my factory parts were just about done.....the new pieces are night and day difference in size. It really tightened up the feel of the front end....there again, you will hear pro's/con's to this as well. It's all up to your personal preference and what you decide on.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glarior
I know the balljoints in my 06 2500 4x4are wearing out after 160k. Is it better to replace the whole arm with bushings and balljoints or just replace the balljoints?

Also, at 160k, what else should I think of replacing while down there? I just replaced both hub assembly.

Thanks

The way I'm reading this sounds like you're thinking about our 4wd Dodges having a Chevy Aarm, that contains both a ball joint and a pair of bushings. This isn't the case with our trucks. The ball joints are attached to the steering knuckle. The control arms are separate pieces. They run from the frame to the axle and just have bushings.

If you're in there for ball joints, it wouldn't be out of line for you to do the hub bearing too.

edit:

Originally Posted by glarior
Should just be the one control arm which has a balljoint and two busings.

Is it worth the time/money to upgrade to the 08/09 steering upgrade?

So far this truck been great (knock on wood )
Just as suspected, you're thinking it's a Chevy or a 2wd Aarm

The upgraded linkage is worth it. Should bring some better feel. Consider adding a steering box brace too.