3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Opinions on Rotella T6

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Rotella T6

Im thinking about switching over to synthetic and Rotella T6 is available everywhere around here for around $21 gallon.

I have been using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 and would like to switch to a synthetic. The top reason being just for peace of mind. It'll only cost about $12-$15 bucks more to go synthetic.

Im not trying to start a brand war or anything...I'd just like to get opinions on Rotella T6 from people who have been using it.

Also, is it okay to use the 5w40 T6 all year round as opposed to the 15w40 dino? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been using the 5w40 T6 for the last 50K miles with no problems whatsoever. The price is right, it meets all the requirements, and it's got better cold-flow than any conveniently available dino-oil. The best part is that it doesn't smell like the regular Rotella!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Another T6 user here, Adaminak is right the infamous smell of regular Rotella is gone. Plus when it's really cold out and you forget to plug the truck in the engine doesn't make as many weird noises haha. I'd say go for it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Another user here. I started using it at the first oil change.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Would it be ok to start on synthetic at 67000 miles on a Cummins? I just got mine and have been looking at the various oils out there.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 47Dodge
Would it be ok to start on synthetic at 67000 miles on a Cummins? I just got mine and have been looking at the various oils out there.

Absolutely! After 4K miles or so you'll probably want to do another change because synthetics tend to clean out any accumulated sludge and grime, and you don't really want that stuff suspended in your oil. After that first short change, you can safely run the recommended book distance without any worries. I'm in a cold climate, and frequently run 9K-10K without any problems.

Adam
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM

For most of my truck's service life (170K miles) I switched from dino in the summer to T6 in the winter. The last several oil changes I have just stuck with the T6 through all seasons. My experience says go with it and don't look back.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So what miles is everyone going before oil changes with dino and synthetic?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 PM

I run 7500 miles between changes.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use regular Dino oil, and change every 14-15K miles. Yes, that's a lot. But the UOA supports it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Syn v Dino

I am a firm believer in synthetic oils and I am glad to see this post. I'm also a believer in Rotell oil having driven semi's for a lot of years and that's what most of the companies I've ever worked for have used.
That said our shop just switched over to Royal. Not Royal Purple, just Royal. I don't know a thing about them other than I have heard of it and it seems it's been around a while and I also don't recall hearing any negatives about it.
Anyone using it and have any input? I don't believe in saving a buck on cheap oil. I believe in using the best money can buy but also within reason.
I've had this conversation with MegaCab about Amsoil or as I call it Scamsoil and while some may like it I wouldn't run it in a broken lawn mower. Had a really bad experience with it in a bike I built and no more Scamsoil for this old kid.
Not trying to start an use this, don't use that brand either. Just a personal observation as well as a lot of studying on oils as well.
I've been a long time user of Lucas products with great results and am leaning towards Lucas if they offer up one that is diesel qualified and I do believe all their oils are.
I do have a question about oil filters. My shop foreman says there's no need to change the oil filter ever oil change. He says change it every other oil change. That I can't or won't buy into but I did want to ask what say the pro's on that subject and also what is the best brand of oil filters for our Cummins engines? I read in the owners manual that it should be no less than a 5 micron filter.
I am not so sure how that works on a diesel but I do know that that's what Harley went to on their Twin Cam engines. My experiences with that are that a 5 micron filter will not allow the oil to pass through the element well when cold so about 95% of the oil, until the engine warms up is just passed through the bypass valve and not even getting filtered. That would seem a little counter intuitive to me and certainly reduce longivity of the engine over the long term as I am sure that most of us intend to hang on to, maintain and run these high dollar trucks for a long time or we wouldn't have made that large initial investment.
I've worked on a lot of motorcycles and gasoline engines over the years but not a lot of diesel engine. Driven a lot of miles in semi's but they were always maintained by a shop and other than the usual maintenance one does on the road and using the products I am told to use by the shop foreman I am in a total learning curve and like so many others I only want what's best for my engine and drivetrain.
Appreciate any and all pointers. Thanks in advance, Jim.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
MTC

Thanks for the info guys, I just bought 3 gallons and have it sitting for the next oil change....
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM

I have 304k miles on an 2006 I just bought. No idea what is in it now. Wpulld it be safe to change to synthetic now?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can change over to synthetic with high mileage, however, be sure to monitor for oil usage. If it starts going through oil just change back to regular oil.

Change the oil filter every oil change. There are some studies out there that state no need to change the oil filter every oil change on certain engines but the studies I had seen were for non road engines that were not emission control laden. For better than 27 years I have always changed the filter at every oil change, on higher mileage trucks ill periodically cut them open for inspection. You would be surprised with the metal in one with no metal on the drain plug magnet.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM

The owners manual for my truck specifically says to change the oil filter at each oil change.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Rotella T6