3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Pan Removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my parts today for this job... its nice to hear from someone that has done the job by lifting the engine. Now if someone chimes in and says its ok to lift it with a jack under the front of the crank I'll be resdy to start..or maybe i should look for a engine hoist. IDK
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM

I would not jack up the engine by the crank if it were my truck. There is a corner of the block exposed in the front, if I had no other option, I would use it to jack. Another option would be to rent an a-frame and come a long hoist and lift the engine by it's designated lift points. In the past I have used two trees with a piece of heavy pipe between them to anchor a hoist to lift an engine and trans out of and back into a car. Just some thoughts....
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by NickBeek
I would not jack up the engine by the crank if it were my truck. There is a corner of the block exposed in the front, if I had no other option, I would use it to jack. Another option would be to rent an a-frame and come a long hoist and lift the engine by it's designated lift points. In the past I have used two trees with a piece of heavy pipe between them to anchor a hoist to lift an engine and trans out of and back into a car. Just some thoughts....
Thanks, deep down I know that. I don't have a engine hoist so just lookiking for other options. Did you hoist from the single point on the engine ?
I just noticed your truck is a six speed. Mines an auto I hope this will work for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
most rental yard will rent a engine hoist for very little money using a jack on the crank pully is asking for trouble if it slips off. I know to many people who are missing body parts from not being safe
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Getting closer to attempting this. The All data mentiions silicone, where is this? Is this where the pad butts up at the rear of the engine?

Fill T-joint between the pan rail/gear housing and pan with Silicone rubber Adhesive Sealant. ???
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by chuckydee
Thanks, deep down I know that. I don't have a engine hoist so just lookiking for other options. Did you hoist from the single point on the engine ?
I just noticed your truck is a six speed. Mines an auto I hope this will work for me.
There is a lifting device on the passenger side front of the engine and the drivers side rear of the engine. I believe the tech that did mine (while I watched) only used the front lift point. This was about 68K miles ago....

I can't speak to the auto, I haven't watched it done on one of them.

Take pictures and do a write up, the community will be better for it.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

I am glad this thread ended up with lots of good comments. I'm definitely more ready to replace my pan when/if the scratches/dents I put in it ever start leaking.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM

I would also like to know how to safely JACK up the engine from bottom side. Everyone is talking about procedure for lifting it from top side.

Does anyone have any detailed steps for doing this job by lifting engine from the bottom side?

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Ok, I did it, on my back in the driveway with no hoist. Six hours later because of one engine mount bolt the was rusted. Don't use the truck jack under the crank like I did, its not safe. Lifted the motor up until the heater hose at the back was tight on the top of the fire wall, then the pan slide out with out removing the pick up tube. The only thing I disconnected was the fan shroud and removed the air box,(to get at the shroud bolt).

Updated this thread in case anyone was following it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you take any pics?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Did you remove or loosen the engine mounts?
Did you grease the gasket?
The alldata report mentioned silicone, did you use any?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Did you take any pics?
No pics really nothing to show, its a very straight forward job. I would not do it again with out an over head engine hoist, just too scary with the jack on the crank and working under the pan. I had a little trouble lining up the passenger side engine mount bolt with the slot when lowering the engine, just because the nut was not loosened due to the rust. After a couple hits with a hammer it dropped into the lower mount. I put a little silicone on the four corners where the block meets up with the front cover and rear section. You can see the areas clearly once the pan is off. They seamed flush so I don't think it was necessary. Just checked and no leaks, ran the truck for 100km today. Didn't have to remove the pick up tube but you have to lift the engine as high as it will go to clear it. Was it worth saving $1000 bucks? I think so.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
Did you remove or loosen the engine mounts?
Did you grease the gasket?
The alldata report mentioned silicone, did you use any?
I put the gasket on dry, only a couple dabs to hold it in place. Two bolts to loosen then the engine goes up until the heater hose hits the top of the fire wall. At first it looked too tight but a couple more cranks on the jack and the pan slide out. I was expecting some leaks from the various hoses being twisted and stretched but so far its all good.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by chuckydee
I put the gasket on dry, only a couple dabs to hold it in place. Two bolts to loosen then the engine goes up until the heater hose hits the top of the fire wall. At first it looked too tight but a couple more cranks on the jack and the pan slide out. I was expecting some leaks from the various hoses being twisted and stretched but so far its all good.
Which bolt on the mount, the long one that goes front to back?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
Which bolt on the mount, the long one that goes front to back?
Yup, the mount is slotted so you only have to loosen it not remove it. Because one of mine was rusted so bad I couldn't get it (the nut), off far enough to allow for extra room when lowering the engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal ?