3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New 6.7- 350hp and 650tq

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am anxious to find out what the new transmission options will do for diesel mileage...interesting indeed !
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM

Go to the Texas State Fair.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
You have figure that in 2008 you will be able to get the Aisin tranny with all the CTD's if you are willing to pay for it. I think most people on this site will wait till 2008 to buy one. We all get a good laugh at Ford guys who ran out and bought the H/O 6.0 in 03. I am chuckling right now as I wrote that. So give it time. Let them fix the bugs and Performance places perfect the programers. And then start shopping for an 08 with the Aisin
There is no chance at all that they spent the enormouse time, money, and effort to develop, test, and produce the 68RFE (which it turns out is not based on the 48RE but the 545RFE) just to have it be a one year option. If anything, they would drop the Aisin in the C&C trucks and have only the 68RFE available across all Rams. I don't expect that to happen either though since the Aisin has a PTO that is usually desired in C&C trucks whereas the 68RFE does not.

I guess if your suggesting that they would offer the Aisin as an option to the 68RFE, I also highly doubt that. There would be no great reason to do so.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
They could if they wanted to. Either way the final drive ratio ends up the same, so you're not really going to get better fuel economy.

I have to disagree on that. Every gear that power from one point to another point robs power and creates friction. A 1:1 output is the most efficient way to get engine power to a driveline and then to the rear differential. A small gain, but a gain that works towards better fuel economy than against it.

I think that people have just been brainwashed with the buzz word "overdrive" equaling fuel economy.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sled4fun
I have to disagree on that. Every gear that power from one point to another point robs power and creates friction. A 1:1 output is the most efficient way to get engine power to a driveline and then to the rear differential. A small gain, but a gain that works towards better fuel economy than against it.

I think that people have just been brainwashed with the buzz word "overdrive" equaling fuel economy.
Won't the gears just be a different size? You're still getting the same amount of contact points, no? Even if you're right, I'm betting you would see less than 1 mpg difference.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Won't the gears just be a different size? You're still getting the same amount of contact points, no? Even if you're right, I'm betting you would see less than 1 mpg difference.
You may be right, but if you make a few changes in the direction of fuel economy it makes a big change.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the reason overdrive got better milage is because it takes less RPM to go the same speed.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM

You may be right, but if you make a few changes in the direction of fuel economy it makes a big change.
You kind of got me wondering about this. I never really considered how gear combinations could affect fuel economy.

My Titan was setup like you described. The ring and pinion had a 3.36:1 gearset, and that was their towing gearset. Non-tow package trucks had a 2.94:1 ring and pinion. Both pretty high when compared to the domestics. The 5-speed auto transmission, on the other hand, was geared lower than the Big 3's trannies. Final drive ratio was virtually the same as the Big 3's. It seemed to work really well, but I don't know how it affected fuel economy.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Question

Why could'nt they make the transmission have lower gears 1-5 with a 1:1 final in 6th and run a say 2.92:1 or 3.23:1 rear end for mileage? Then have the transmission use only 2 - 6 in auto non tow mode and 1 - 6 in tow mode.

Then for the daily driver it would start off in 2nd (which would be close tol the current 4 speeds 1st gear ratio-maybe a little lower) and if you hooked up to the trailer you just drop it into tow mode for the additional lower first gear take off power.
Ya Know.....I think you're on to something! Besides the advantages you state, when you drop the ratio of the final drive, you afford yourself the possibility of significantly increasing the strength of the unit. Doing so allows you to increase the size of the gear on the pinion shaft, decrease the size of the ring gear, and therefore the size of the pumpkin(s), increasing ground clearance, or both.
Ohh ohh....might of ran into a snag. Wouldn't this then mean that you either have more disproportinate sizing of all the driving/driven gears in the tranny?

Well, either way, I still like the idea of taking off in different gears, based on the load.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by HaulinBut
Ohh ohh....might of ran into a snag. Wouldn't this then mean that you either have more disproportinate sizing of all the driving/driven gears in the tranny?
Exactly. It's a tradeoff. And like my aforementioned Titan, early models had problems with differentials grenading. Some claimed it was because the pumpkin was too small for sufficient cooling.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 AM

hahahah....THis was a good thread, turns out the rumor mill was right again!!! There is a dodge 6spd auto and an asian!!!! I love DTR and its members!!!