3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New 6.7- 350hp and 650tq

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Berak
tcb, there is nothing confusing about the information. I'm not sure why your confused, it's pretty specific and straightforward.

Maybe this?
Five-speed automatic transmission: Kokomo Transmission in Kokomo,
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Maybe this?
the 5 speed auto is for the hemi trucks
Old 09-02-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by FATCAT
Who cares about automatic transmissions. The real "tragic" news here is the engine detuning for the manual transmission.

This news confimrs that the G56 transmission was a horrible replacement for the 5600 trans. If 610 lb/ft. is its max, then you have to ask yourself if DC is trying to phase out the manual transmission in the next few years.

If so, then the only trucks worth buying will be medium duties with 6/7/9 speed manuals.

Very sad.

Absolutely not so. The G56 is a great transmission that has the same rating as the NV5600. DC will not phase out manual transmissions as GM has done because too many are sold, where as GM did not sell any. The G56 in my opinion, as I have driven hundreds of them as well as hundreds if not over a thousand of the NV5600's is a better trans than the NV5600 as far as initial quality. The G56 is a MUCH QUIETER trans. No bearing growl in the lower gears when starting out as the NV5600 had even when brand new and got much worse as the miles add up. While I am not saying the NV5600 was a bad trans, I am also not sure of everyone's love affair with it? We have been putting quite a few reverse and 6th gear sycro's in them for quite some time now, and the number of them being torn down in our shop is increasing all the time. I think most people just don't like change aand are affraid of anything that is different?

Berak, I still have not recieved anything as off this morning in my DealerConnect mail and I can't find anything on the web about this "68rfe". Again not saying your wrong, I just don't have one iota of proof about it. I even have a special place where I can go and pull up the latest press releases from DC on DealerConnect and as of this morning, saturady, Sept 2, there is nothing there? I'll eat my words if I am incorrect, but I haven't seen any official info from DC. Even TDR has not posted of this news on the homepage, and they are usually privy to this kind of info or press release's?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM

Well I suppose someone could have created 10 official looking PDF documents if they were so inclined and wanted to spend probably something like 2 weeks on the effort (along with having access to PDF creation tools), all for the purpose of what? Fooling a few internet truck enthusiasts? I have no idea why they haven't made them available to you or made more of a public appearance but, the liklihood of them being somehow faked or made up (I can assure you I'm certainly not spending my time making any of this up) is virtually zero. There would just be no point in putting in the effort needed to create the complete documents as I have them.

I'm sure they will be made more public very soon, for now, I think the information can be trusted 100%.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
tcb

if you read the press release on dodgetalk.com it only mentions one and where it is made. i may be wrong but i see only the aisin and surely dcx could come up with something better than the name orion, maybe atlas but not orion. but hey i have been wrong before.
tim
Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 PM

tcb,

I have all TEN of the official press release documents. I haven't gone to Dodgetalk.com because I don't see the point. Do you see what I posted above? That's from an official press release. IT ONLY MENTIONS ONE (The Aisin) IN THE CAB AND CHASSIS DOCUMENT. THE OTHER DOCUMENT MAKES NO MENTION OF THE AISIN AND REFERS TO THE 68RE ORION.

The 68RE IS NOT THE AISIN.

Are you suggesting I made this up or what?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
tcb

berak
this will be my last post on the subject, as i have grown tired of it. i just do not see it. the post i read elsewhere just shows one six speed auto for both trucks and it is the aisin trany. dcx cannot afford to have two completely different hd six speed auto trannies. yes same basic model with pto option for cab chassis but still the same. i may be proved wrong if january or sooner but i see no 68 rfe or orion. nuff said.
good night to all.
tim
Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Ok, at least I understand what you point of view is now. You think I made this all up. You read one post (probably from the cab and chassis document) and since that supports your logic that there will only be one 6 speed auto, that must be for all trucks. What I've posted is a farce. The people who've posted on here and other boards who have worked on the 68RE are all making it up.

DCX cannot afford two heavy duty trannys? I think they could afford ten if they wanted to. Making a profit on a truck comes down to component costs mostly and the 68RE will save them money over the Aisin. Even if they saved $50 in production costs, it would make sense to make the 68RE in house over the sale of hundreds of thousands of units.

The Aisin 6 speed is a $2300 option. Most people would not be accustomed to paying that much for an auto in their pickup truck.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:56 PM

Ok, I see what you must be talking about since in one document that talks about the HD trucks does list the 6 speed auto as being made in Japan by Aisin. Im willing to bet that's just a copy and paste error from the cab and chassis document.

There's just too much info to support the fact they are building a 68RE themselves, including as I've said earlier, people who've posted here who work on or near the tranny.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM

Ok here's the most obvious reason these are not the same transmissions. They give the complete details on both tranny's gear ratios:

From the Cab and Chassis Specifications:
TRANSMISSION: AISIN AS68RC SIX-SPEED

Availability _______________________________________ Optional with Cummins diesel engine
PTO Capable (35 HP max) _____________________ Standard industry mounting, passenger side
Description ___________________________________ Electronically controlled overdrive lockout
Electronically controlled converter clutch
Gear Ratios
1st __________________________________________________ __________________ 3.74
2nd __________________________________________________ _________________ 1.96
3rd __________________________________________________ __________________ 1.34
4th __________________________________________________ __________________ 1.00
5th __________________________________________________ ___________________0.77
6th __________________________________________________ __________________ 0.63
Reverse __________________________________________________ _____________ 3.54
Overall Top Gear Ratio ___________________ 2.42 with 3.73 axle ratio; 2.67 with 4.10 axle ratio

Now from the 2007 2500/3500 HD specifications:
TRANSMISSION: 68RFE ORION—AUTOMATIC, SIX-SPEED

Availability ___________________________________ Opt. with 6.7L turbo diesel engine; available Jan. 1, 2007
Description __________________________________________________ _________ Three planetary gear sets,
one overrunning clutch, full electronic control, electronically controlled converter clutch
Gear Ratios
1st __________________________________________________ ______________________________ 3.231
2nd __________________________________________________ ______________________________ 1.837
3rd __________________________________________________ ______________________________ 1.410
4th __________________________________________________ ________________________________ 1.0
5th __________________________________________________ _______________________________ 0.816
6th __________________________________________________ _______________________________ 0.625
Reverse __________________________________________________ __________________________ 4.444
Overall Top Gear Ratio ______________________________ 2.33 with 3.73 axle ratio; 2.56 with 4.10 axle ratio

I think that's case closed, unless it's all made up. I went to the official Chrysler press release site as mentioned in the documents and logged in. Anyone can register and get access. The 2007 documents that I have are there for any press (or anyone willing to register) to see.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Berak, taking things a bit too personal, let it go man. If you're right, great, if you're not, great. Either way we all win with a great new engine/trans combo on the way. Breathe in, breathe out.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, everyone take a deep breath.

Don't understand either why DC would offer two different 6spd auto behind the CTD. But there must be a motive. Could be price, the Aisin 6spd is a $2200 option where as the 68re could be $1000?? Kind of like why did DC offer 5spd manual and a 6spd manual at the same time. The 6spd could have been used on all CTDs.

Just think, we will have a 6spd manual and a 6spd auto, great win for the consumer.

MikeyB
Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 PM

Lol, well I'm not taking it personaly at all, sorry if I came across that way. I'm just confused by some peoples ability to ignore the facts when they're presented.

Latching on to the location of manufacture at the end as fact but ignoring the fact that throughout the documents they are referred to seperately using completely different names and then, giving the specifications they are very much different, seems, uh, odd.

Either these press releases on DC's press site are made up, or the 68RE and Aisin are clearly different units. I don't see any other conclusion. Someone explain to me a third alternative and I'm all ears.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DagooAZ
Berak, taking things a bit too personal, let it go man. If you're right, great, if you're not, great. Either way we all win with a great new engine/trans combo on the way. Breathe in, breathe out.
See, apparently some people are under the impression that this is information that I created. It isn't. It's from DC directly. So either DC is faking it or it's the facts. It should be obvious to most reasoning people which it is.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM

I too saw the numbers listed on the Cummins site for the ISB and was hoping that 750ftlbs would be DC's trump on the other trucks.

BUT..... my question is..... who has some good pics? I know over on TDR there are just a few, but I was hoping someone has some better pics, or more of 'em. I'm not quite sure if like the '07 tail lights. I like the tail lights on my Durango, but I don't know if I'm game for having the same style on a RAM.

Quick Reply: New 6.7- 350hp and 650tq