Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   new 05 loud rattle when shutting off (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/new-05-loud-rattle-when-shutting-off-79519/)

motrapper 10-03-2005 11:16 AM

new 05 loud rattle when shutting off

may be its normal but when i shut it off its way noiser then my 7.3 ever was

and do people put extra dahl fuel filters on these and coolant filters thanks for any info. first dodge

bigblock2stroke 10-03-2005 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by motrapper
may be its normal but when i shut it off its way noiser then my 7.3 ever was

and do people put extra dahl fuel filters on these and coolant filters thanks for any info. first dodge

Fill in your sig. Do you have a G56 with dual mass flywheel? If so, its a known issue and is normal.

Yes, people put extra fuel filters on (like on big rigs).

I haven't seen any coolant filters yet. Coolant is supposed to be good for 100k anyway.

RustyJC 10-03-2005 12:08 PM

The Cummins B-series is a parent bore engine. You don't have to worry about cavitation inhibitors in the coolant like you did on your 7.3L Ford.

Rusty

motrapper 10-03-2005 12:10 PM

it has the new i believe mercedes trans thanks

whtractor 10-03-2005 07:49 PM

Every dodge does the Loud shut dodwn thing. [coffee] or try changing spark plugs [whistle] someone explained why the shut down was so loud and felt like the engin was falling apart, has something to do with the fuel being shut off to the engin

DmaxEter 10-03-2005 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
The Cummins B-series is a parent bore engine. You don't have to worry about cavitation inhibitors in the coolant like you did on your 7.3L Ford.

Rusty

The powerjoke is a parent block also. Cylinder block erosion and pitting is a serious problem for all diesel engines. The new extended life coolant helps.

bigblock2stroke 10-04-2005 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by whtractor
Every dodge does the Loud shut dodwn thing. [coffee] or try changing spark plugs [whistle] someone explained why the shut down was so loud and felt like the engin was falling apart, has something to do with the fuel being shut off to the engin

The DMF makes shutdown even worse than it already was because you go through the resonant frequency of the DMF system. The single mass doesn't have that problem inherently because it is a single mass.

Belt squeal on shutdown is also from the high diesel compression ratio stopping the crankshaft faster than a lower compression ratio gasoline engine. Worse on autos because the flywheel on manuals helps absorb (or slow down) the shutdown process.

cberndt454 10-09-2005 01:28 AM

My wifes 05 has the new 6sp and it's pretty noisy shutting down too. You can here it rattle a little at idle in neutral also. Push in the clutch when you turn it off and you won't here it. Not a fix, but it's less annoying. Does anyone know if it will tear anything up shutting down that way? It sounds alot less brutal. Take care, Craig