3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mystery problem brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mystery problem brakes

Okay. This is an 03 with a stock 48re. It drives and operates fine until. UNTIL it hits operating tempature and the brakes lock up to the point they start smoking. It takes a good 40 minutes warming up and then driving until this happens. When this first started happening I took it to the shop got a new 48re transmission, Drove it for a solid three days and it happened again. It’ll happen fast and won’t be able to drive anywhere. It will drive about 1 mile an hour in the calipers will start smoking. I have had two mechanics look at it and check the hydroboost and master cylinder for any problems. None. It’s currently having brake fluid replaced and CalPERS checked but it will drive for solid while then mysteriously fail. No check engine light no ABS know nothing. Need help ASAP.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well their isn't many things that can apply your brakes other than your foot, the hydro boost or the master cylinder. Your trouble lies in one of those 3 components.

I would bet your trouble is related to your hydro boost. I would find a different mechanic if they haven't been able to help you with it. This does sound like one of those times where you really should not be driving it as it sounds like you have the potential to wreck your brake components by driving it. A tow to a competent shop will be cheaper than all new brakes
Old 01-09-2018, 06:22 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I do not understand why you changed the transmission for a brake problem as they are not connected in any way. What made you decide to change the transmission?

Are you one of those drivers that brake and drive with the left foot on the brake pedal all the time?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
How old is the brake fluid in your old '03? Ever been changed? Seems to me you might have a bit of water in your fluid and it doesn't take much. Applying brakes builds pressure, pressure makes heat. If you do that enough, the brake fluid can handle it, but water cannot. At 212*F, the water turns to steam and that is trouble. Water expands 1,600:1 when it turns to steam. That expansion would pressurize your brake lines and apply brakes, and won't let them go till the temp comes down.

After you have your fluid changed out, you might also look for where water might have gotten into your system. Some say, just having the cap off too long and it will take moisture out of the air. Might have been rained into when someone took the cap off. Might have been contaminated fluid used at your last brake job.
Back to morning brew . . .