3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

At my wits end with the smoke please help

Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At my wits end with the smoke please help

This is my first diesel but I mechanically inclined I do my own repair and maintenance on my gas vehicles so here's the problem I'm having the other day my truck started smoking so I got on the internet and start reading. I read a article that told me to check the turbo shaft and it was bad so I replaced it. After replacing my truck wouldn't start so I continue to read on the internet got it might be the injectors so I replaced them. My truck started but smoke worse. So I continue to read and your suggest replacing the connecting tubes so I replaced them the smoking got worse then I adjust the valves and it didn't change I changed my air filter it got worse still now it doesn't smoke at idle but the minute I hit the pedal it starts smoking like a bat out of hell and I'm getting crappy mileage. oh I forgot to mention last week I did an oil change and fuel filter. I'm at my wit's end please someone help and thank you in advance
Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Wow, you sure threw enough parts at it you would think it would comply to your wishes. Maybe it just doesn't understand. What is the vehicle? Have you checked the air tubes going to and coming from your intercooler? (cheaper than a turbo) Have you checked the intercooler? (cheaper than new injectors)
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vehicle is O3 Dodge 3500 5.9L and the turbo was replaced because the bearings went out and the Turbo shaft had enough slop in it the fins on the intake side started to rub against the case. And course I checked the intercooler tubes I also check the air horn. Also like I said I'm new to this diesel stuff no need to be a smartass. I'm here for help not to get talked down to.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Richfox
Also like I said I'm new to this diesel stuff no need to be a smartass. I'm here for help not to get talked down to.
I'm sorry you took that as being a smartass or talking down to you, that was not my intent. Your smoking issue seems to be related to either not enough air being pumped into the intake or the computer thinking it is getting a different amount of air than it is actually receiving. Have you pulled any codes?
Back to morning brew . . .