3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My throtle dont let off when I do.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is something to do with automatics. My truck decelerates the instant I let off the throttle. I drove my buddys truck the other day (04.5 auto) and I noticed it right away. 2-3 sec delay when you let off the throttle. I told him there was something wrong and to take it to the dealer. I didnt know the autos did that to you guys. I dont like it one bit.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBLR
Its the nature of the beast you drive. Diesel engines don't react like a gas engine does when letting off the go pedal, it takes a second or two before it starts slow down. As stated above our trucks are drive by wire/computer and not linkage like in the old days.

JMHO
My 04.5 6 speed did NOT do this. I see no reason for it to have a delay before it backs off. To me its just there way of protecting the turbo at the expense of safety. I am tempted to take this up with DC even though I know it will futile.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkrukow
My 04.5 6 speed did NOT do this. I see no reason for it to have a delay before it backs off. To me its just there way of protecting the turbo at the expense of safety. I am tempted to take this up with DC even though I know it will futile.
Rail pressure........
Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM

I installed bullydog pmt and when on extreme setting I ran my rpm's up @ 3200 while shifting and when I let off throttle it was hung @ 3000 rpm. I got on the brake but the throttle didn't back down. I had to throw the truck in nuetral and pull off the road. The throttle still was hung w/rpm @ 3000-3200. I shut the truck off and restarted it and immediately the rpm jacked back up to 3000 on its own. I had to shut the engine off and uninstall the bullydog program. When I returned the truck to stock it was fine. This happened on 3 different occassions. It even did it to me once on the extreme setting while lugging the truck to blow smoke. Every time I had to uninstall the program putting the truck to stock before it would run right. I contacted bullydog and they said it was throttle position sensor. This truck only has 5000 miles on it and only does it when the pmt is on extreme. I took it the pmt out of my truck and put it in a friends truck and when we turned it on extreme the same thing happened on his truck!!?? To confuse things even more, I downloaded crazy larry and have been running it for 2 weeks and no problems. I even set the rev up to 3700 rpm and still no problem. WEIRD HUH?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 PM

I get the same thing, the higher you go into the rpms the longer it hangs. The bully dog really made it worse. I was playing with my truck one day trying to figure out how much wheel speed I could get out of every gear pulling and was taking it as high as it would go 3600 and it hung up there for 2-3 seconds everytime. It's a bit scarry but like stated I think it is something in the rail pressure as the rail pressure takes a second to drop down as well. I wonder how much it hangs when you get up into 4100 Rpms with the Smarty TNT R??
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

the rail pressure shouldn't take a second to drop... when I let off at WOT, my rail pressure gauge spikes, and instantly drops. The truck definately doesn't keep going. I can only assume that the pressure relief valve on the rail is popping off

I have an 04 6sp with a lot of mods and it doesn't hang up. the only time it hangs is with the latest Smarty TNT/R if I blip the throttle in neutral, it hangs at 1000rpm for a few seconds
Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary Emerald
the rail pressure shouldn't take a second to drop... when I let off at WOT, my rail pressure gauge spikes, and instantly drops. The truck definately doesn't keep going. I can only assume that the pressure relief valve on the rail is popping off

I have an 04 6sp with a lot of mods and it doesn't hang up. the only time it hangs is with the latest Smarty TNT/R if I blip the throttle in neutral, it hangs at 1000rpm for a few seconds
'04.5+ trucks run higher rail pressures.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been told its rail pressure by many but i dont buy that i have driven other trucks including frightliners with the MB and common rail and they acgt nothing like this. also my truck when i first bought it would drop imeadiately after i let off the throttle to shift (6 speed). since the last reflash it hangs for 2-4 seconds before the rpms drop and even then the rpm drop is Rediculously slow. this is extremely irritating when trying to shift. i leave my exhaust brake on and it helps the engine rpms drop faster than when its off.

I find it unacceptible when fords use common rail, chevy uses it, MB uses it as do some of the overthe road diesel and none do this. I should also menten that on Cummins common rails in commercial and marine applications that i have driven have INSTANT throttle drop off (especially when compared to my truck) when you let off the throttle so why dodges with the 5.9 experience it exclusively leads me to question its necessity other than for warranty protection
Old 04-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Mine is an 05 w/ the 6sp g56 and it has never done it. I took it around the block after first reading this post to see if I could make it happen. I could not. Maybe it is something with the automatics. Another reason to love rowing through gears....
Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
'04.5+ trucks run higher rail pressures.
do they pop off at a higher level than the early truck? I've got the Smarty TNT-R set on wild rail pressure. cruising at 70mph w light throttle I'm seeing 20-25k. dips really hard when I romp on it, catches back up to 22.4-23k by about 2500rpm and the truck is off to the races

that's w/ the TST set on 4 on HP. The turbos light quicker if I bump up the torque on the TST, but then I runs out of rail

I need another CP3!!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

also, what smarty levels are you guys getting this problem with? I had a Smarty Jr. on my '03 and then an S06 on it. I've now got the S06 on my '04. I've never run anything but the highest settings and have never had any sort of runaway.

what ver. software are you running? only stuff I have experience with is the 4.11 and now the Revo
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM

I would scan it and check the TPS voltage. If the tps wigs out and the voltage jumps up, it can make the idle go high. I seen this before on gas engines.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM

My '05 auto does not do what you are talking about. Auto tranny and 04.5+ bashing can resume if you like.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Its the nature of the beast you drive. Diesel engines don't react like a gas engine does when letting off the go pedal, it takes a second or two before it starts slow down. As stated above our trucks are drive by wire/computer and not linkage like in the old days.

JMHO
It's not "the diesel engine"

The Common Rail Dodge's take a few seconds to slow back down after you let off the throttle.

My 530HP 12V and my 512HP 24V both will go to idle the millesecond the throttle is let off of.

It's not the nature of the beast, it's the screwy computer programming in the auto's.

On a factory truck it is barely, barely noticeable, but with a programmer, it's very easy to tell, and sometimes down right scary.

If you floor the truck, and let off the throttle right as the turbo spools, the truck will actually break the tires loose and you can get sideways all the while your foot is off the throttle.. now that can be scary.

Merrick
Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 PM

I had mine at the shop twice now in a row for this problem and first they changed the FCA and gave me the truck back. Then I took it back the next day and they changed the #6 injectorand it still does it. Now its sticking at 2200 and not coming down to idle at all unless you shut it off and restart. The truck is stock as well. The engine also shuts off everytime I come to a hard stop when the fuel tank is less then 1/4. Never did this until this week.

Quick Reply: My throtle dont let off when I do.