3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today(Wednesday 3-29), I took my 05 Ram Diesel in for an oil change, and also brought my recall notice too.

The first thing I did was request that they(dealer) not perform the reflash, as I didn't want my horn honking everytime I have to open my driver's door while backing up my trailer or just plain backing up and needing the door open to look behind.

The dealer told me that they would not do it(upon my request today - the reflash), but that I needed to call that 1-800-853-1402 number on the recall letter( If you need help... section near the bottom) and request that Chrysler make a note on my Vin record that I refuse the Code E17 recall fix.

Well, I called, and after the D.C. person put me on hold a couple times to talk to some higher-ups......their answer was......"No"........they wouldn't put a "hold" or a "don't install E17) on my Vin record. They said, that they had to protect their liability incase my truck did cause an accident because of the Park/Reverse problem.

They did however say that I could request each time I took my truck in for service to that the E17 recall not be done.

I can understand D.C.'s point of view..........they could really be opened up to law suits if my truck or any other's did get involved in an accident that was directly related to the Park/Reverse thingy.
Anyway..........I got right from the horse's mouth(D.C.)......you can refuse the Recall code E17 Reflash, each time you bring in your truck for warranty or other work.
Here's the big........"if"...............you must remember to tell them to not do it each time..........D.C. and or the dealers will not put a "hold" or "stop" in your personal records that keeps the reflash from happening automatically.

My work order for my oil change had printed on it......that owner refuses/requests that Code E17 recall not be performed.

I asked the dealer if the reflash could be removed........he wasn't sure, but thought that it probably could.
I told D.C. and the service manager that all the Dodge, and diesel truck forums were "buzzing" with talk about this E17 recall........and that the general consensus was that it was a bad fix...........

1. Horn honking and waking up a whole campground full of campers early in the morning or late at night.....because sometimes us trailer pullers do need to open our driver's door to get some better visibility when backing up what we're towing.
2. Waking up neighbors in our neighbor hood......and just plain making a nuisance-like noise.

I'm hoping that if there are enough folks who refuse this E17 fix.........that D.C. will finally send out another Recall notice that mechanically fixes the Park/Reverse indent problem alleged.

I just want to thank all you folks for changing my mind.....as I didn't think this fix involved my very loud horn being used as a warning signal. This is really a half-arsed fix.
Well, that's all the info. I have right now.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An interesting side effect!

The FSM calls for the ATF level to be checked while idling in neutral. Do they really expect you to do this while standing directly in front of a blaring horn!? I guess you could always exit via the passenger's door. Or does closing the driver's door from the outside stop the alarm? Also, does engaging the parking brake keep it from going off in the first place? Someone who has had this recall done care to enlighten us?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM

they will not pay for any damage to your truck due to it slipping into reverse prior to the recall..i trying that,,the chysler investigation unit told me it was my fault that it slipped into reverse because i didn"t take the key out of the ignition,,if i had tried to get it out i would have found it wouldn"t come out because it was not fully in park,,i told them the truck didn"t move when i got out of it and when it is in reverse it will move immediately,,besides it"s hard to warm it up with the key out of the ignition,,they said i should have had my insurance company pay for the damage,i told them i got a rear bumper off ebay for $288.00 and replaced it myself because i have $500.00 deductable,,,well luckly no one was hurt,,,,but that was the first question they asked me, if anybody was hurt,,,my truck took off thru the back yard and hit a tree on the edge of the woods
Old 03-30-2006, 02:16 PM

Got mine in the mail yesterday. I want to ignore it, but I'm a stickler for having things fixed. (or what they call fixed ) I also dont want it to come back on me in case I ever had that "tranny popping out of gear issue" and have them tell me "Well sir, you declined or ignored the recall it's all on you now."
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

yippie, got my letter today, now will I let them "fix" it or do I sit here getting that stoopid letter every now and again......
Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM

I e-mailed Dodge asking specific questions about the so called "fix". Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Assistance regarding recall E17.

It is the recommendation of DaimlerChrysler to have every recall
performed on your vehicle. However, getting the recall performed is at
your discretion.

If you need any further assistance feel free to contact us back.

Thank you again for your email.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 AM

Or does closing the driver's door from the outside stop the alarm?
Not sure how it would make a difference which side of the door you are on when it closes????
Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
I e-mailed Dodge asking specific questions about the so called "fix". Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Assistance regarding recall E17.

It is the recommendation of DaimlerChrysler to have every recall
performed on your vehicle. However, getting the recall performed is at
your discretion.

If you need any further assistance feel free to contact us back.

Thank you again for your email.
That's basically the response I got to...as per my earlier post.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 AM

My 06 came with this [pita] feature, when I need to backup with the door open, I just put on the e-brake. about 1 or 2 clicks, works everytime!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:15 AM

I got the letter too. Went right into the trash. No way I am waking up the other campers late at night. This recall is a JOKE!!

Where do I send my letter telling them that this is a dumb fix?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 AM

Thumbs down

I had the new park recall done last week while my truck was in for a u joint repair, I now need to find out how to uninstall it. If you get out of the truck too fast, it will beep, if you are used to backing up trailers with the door open forget about, it it will beep. If anyone knows how to get rid of this feature please let me know.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
aaarggggggg!!!! they GOT ME!!!!

i took it in to have the 1st gear bands adjusted, and DOH!!!!

they done did it! i may have to cut the wires to the horn,

if "loud pipes save lives" my strait pipe should be good enough....

he did say he would take it out if I really wanted him to (did not sound like he knew how) but he was decent about it.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
Maybe I'll hook my train horn up to the stock horn button and tell them I don't want it done. If they do it, boy will they be surprised!!!

don't go to the jerks in town, they don't have the program yet, i've asked. But they do up at Hunter dodge in lancaster
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 AM

My friend works at the dodge dealer.
I brought mine in to have the radio replaced (skipping)
He put the reverse honk on mine.
I am going to park outside his house tonight leave in Rev and walk away
Old 04-09-2006, 12:04 AM

I had my truck decide to back up on its own last fall. I was hooking a quad trailer in the dark. I backed up close to it, then jumped out to see where I was. As I got to the back of the truck, I noticed it moving. I hurried back in and hit the brake. The transmission indicator was not in reverse. There was no gear indicated. I moved the gear shift up a bit and it showed park. I went down a bit and reverse showed up. I couldn't repeat the problem.

I would like to know if the fix will work if the truck doesn't think its in reverse, but it isn't in park either. It would be a lot of annoyance to start with, but what if it really doesn't work?

Quick Reply: Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"